Opening multiple dwgs in one ACAD window

cldryden

Hi Folks,

Is there a way to open more than one acad drawing without having to open multiple acad windows? Sort of like word. You only have one window open and you can toggle between many files.

I have acad 2004.

Thanks a ton

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• cldryden

• LSR

• tzframpton

• Jack_O'neill

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yes, you can open more than one drawing in one Autocad session.

To toggle from one drawing to another use CTRL+TAB button in your keyboard.

Or use your mouse and click the Autocad WINDOW pull down menu to see your drawings, click to view it.

LSR

The reason you cannot open multiple drawings is because your TASKBAR variable is set to 0 (zero).

Set your taskbar variable to 1 (one) to display multiple drawings.

Multiple display in Autocad has been around for while, you do not need to install anything.

LSR

omg... lol, type TASKBAR in the command line, then you press 0 then hit Enter.

it's default is 0. change it to 1 to let you view multiple drawings.

btw, i just installed that MultipleTabs extension for AutoCAD, man that is nice. i'm liking that.... lol, i swear. learn something new every day here, no matter what. lol

you typed TASKBAR in the command line and pressed enter? it's in ACAD 2004 right?

press F1 and search TASKBAR to see if it's in Help.

ok, so, I have acad land desktop 2004 with all kinds of extensions, survey, map, civil.

In the tools/options/system under the general options there is a command that can be clicked on and off for single drawing compatibility mode.

typically you can click it on and off, but mine is unhighlighted and selected. It won't let me deselect it.

I think this has alot to do with it.

and yes I pressed enter after I typed taskbar. hee hee :P

I also looked under help and the taskbar doesn't show up.

Here's another thought, I know Autocad intruduce multiple opening of drawings since 2000.

Check your acad 2004 for variable called SDI (Sinlge Doc. Interface)

the setting are 0 (zero) for mutiple; 1 for single; and then theres 2 and 3.

Play around with it, see what happen.

LSR

Something is messed up. I did the SDI in the command line and it stated that I can select only 0 or 1. it is currently set at 3. I tried to type all numbers I could and it wouldn't let me change it.

not 1 not 0 not even 3.

So now I am left with going to tools/options/system and the general options box within system and selecting the single drawing compatibility mode. but unfortunately it is not highlighted. I cannot select it to have it deselected. Ugghh!

I think this is where my problem is. I can't change it.

HELP!

Maybe the problem is you don't have vanilla AutoCAD. dont you have a special version? Land Desktop or something? I wonder if that's the issue here. lol 8)

3 denote "User disable multiple document environment and the user also

loaded an application that doesn't support multiple document interface."

I don't know what else to say, but keep searching.

LSR

• 5 years later...

hy, i have the same problem, and i've tried the trick with sdi and taskbar , and i got nothing... :( i use autocad 2006 if matter. do you guys know anything else that could work ? pls:(

Welcome to the forum victor. Just thought I'd let you know, if you don't get much of a response to your post, you dug up a thread from 2006. If you are using IE in compatibility mode, it won't show the header for some reason. If you force it out of compatibility mode or use a different browser, you can see the date and time of the post you are responding to in the dark blue bar at the upper left of the post, above where the poster's name appears.

New information is always a good thing, and questions are always helpful. I'm away from my cad machines right now or I'd take a look at my 07 machine and see how it's set. When I get back home later I'll take a look and see if I can find you an answer, or maybe someone else will between now and then.

OK, this is a screen shot from 2007, and your profile says you use 2006 but it should be close to the same.

single drawing.PNG

Take the check out of that "single compatibility mode" box and you should be good to go.