drawing recovery

Otinane

Hey there,

Got this minor problem, goes like this:

I cut and pasted a drawing off the system folders at work, (ratehr than copying it) and then started working on it, and saved... :ouch:

I now need the original information, is there any way I can recover this? Will autocad allow me to revert to the original drawing?

Thanks a lot

There is no other copy of the original drawing anywhere? No backup copy on a network drive, CD, DVD, or flash drive?

no, my intention was to copy the drawing (by right clicking on the icon, not opening it), to a new location so as not loose the original, but accidently I cuted and pasted instead (and now I have +lost+ the original...

Then it sounds like you are "up the creek without a paddle" as my father would say.

How much work have you done so far?

Well the good news is at least you learned a valuable lesson re: copy versus cut/paste. And you also learned about the importance of having a backup of all drawing files as insurance. Finally, if you had allowed AutoCAD to create BAK files there might have been a slim chance (depending on how many times you had saved before realizing your mistake) that you could have recovered the original DWG file simply by renaming the first BAK file.

nope sorry..

Don't apologize to me. Apologize to your boss for deleting the only copy of the file that you had. I hope you at least have a printed paper copy that you can refer to as you are re-drafting the CAD drawing. With no other backup copy saved anywhere, that is your only option.

I have completely deleted all the information I needed, and saved.. so no recovery option you say..

Have you saved and closed the drawing or just saved? If the drawing is still open, start undoing everything you have done and Undo back as far as you can go. Maybe you can get the information back. But if you saved and closed the drawing, it's all over.

Navigate to the folder with Windows explorer, right click on the folder, find restore previous versions, click on that, hope that restore was turned on, if so you will find files there you can restore from.