Top Posters In This Topic

• SFG13

• ReMark

• Jack_O'neill

• rvpas

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi Jack,

I can see in shade mode on the front side of the handle is off the bar. I know the line seen on the left bottom side of the arc is off to the right of it. From your steps I'm not sure how to exactly fix it or also fix the arc if you say it's more than 180°?:?

"Fix where the straight line runs past the end of the arc and sweep it again. Your arc is more than 180°, and the straight line doesn't come in tangent to the arc so it's gonna put a little zig-zaggy thing there. If that's what you're after that's fine, but if you want a natural bend there you'll want to make them tangent."

9.JPG

Basically the arc has been extended past its natural quadrant point and should be trimmed back. You can do this with a line drawn from the center of the arc to the quadrant point. You want the arc to extend past the quadrant point on the other side because most cane handles of this type actually do just that. So, bottom line, trim the arc on the left side and leave it "as is" on the right side. Got it?

Hi Remark,

So do I select line, draw it from the center of the arc to left? I selected the whole frame to trim but no piece would disappear?

"Basically the arc has been extended past its natural quadrant point and should be trimmed back. You can do this with a line drawn from the center of the arc to the quadrant point. You want the arc to extend past the quadrant point on the other side because most cane handles of this type actually do just that. So, bottom line, trim the arc on the left side and leave it "as is" on the right side. Got it?"

Trim off the piece of the arc that is causing the problem using any method that works for you. If you have to draw a temporary line from the center of the arc through the left side of the arc and use that as your object to trim with then by all means do so. Are we clear?

Sorry guys, had to make a small road trip today. Just got home.

SFG13, I think you should back away from the 3d project for a couple days and get some basic commands well in hand. I think you're trying to run before you've learned to walk. This is not a disparagement of any kind, but before you can have any thing but frustration drawing in 3D, you must have the 2D principles down. Drawing lines, circles and arcs, trimming, extending, using snap points, all are crucial to being able to draw anything in AutoCAD and you must understand how those things work or you'll spend more time beating your head against the wall than you can imagine.

At the top of the page on the left hand side, you'll find a button labeled "Tutorials". That will take you to a selection of tutorials from how to draw your first line all the way to 3d basics. Some are step by step instructions with pictures, others are videos that last 3 or 4 minutes each. They are all very well done and if you'll start with the first one and work your way through, you'll be much better prepared to tackle a 3d drawing. It is easy to grasp the basics of AutoCAD if you follow the tutorials, but it will take forever to figure it out on your own. It is at once the most complex and simple software you'll ever try to use. Follow its rules and it will do a lot of amazing stuff. If you don't, it will drive you insane.

That is very much improved. You'll get a much better extrude on this path. I did notice however, that the arc is rotated 2 degrees around its center point. Was that intentional? In the pic below, the blue line is perpendicular to the white vertical line you drew. The red line runs between the endpoints of your arc. That's fine if that's what you meant to do I was just curious.walking cane.jpg

Hi Jack,

I just got mixed up with the arc rotating around in circles and trying to make it stay put in it's standard position, which wasn't intentional. What command or tool do you use to see if it's correct or not like with the one you attached showing the red and blue line? I'll try to redo it. Thanks

"That is very much improved. You'll get a much better extrude on this path. I did notice however, that the arc is rotated 2 degrees around its center point. Was that intentional? In the pic below, the blue line is perpendicular to the white vertical line you drew. The red line runs between the endpoints of your arc. That's fine if that's what you meant to do I was just curious"

SFG13: If arcs give you too much of a problem you can always use a circle and a couple of lines to trim it with. You'll have better control of the angle at which the resultant arc is cut. Do you know how to do this?

Sorry, I was gone all day again yesterday, and will be out most of today too. Try this:

walking cane path.jpg

You can do every bit of this with ORTHO turned on, and everything will come out straight and lined up like it should.

Hi Jack and ReMark,

Oh man you guys are right, I didn't realize that, circle, halfway line left and right, select, trim, arc! Thanks a lot for the tip! :)

If you want to have the handle wrap around a little more than just the half circle, you can use the same methods as above, slightly modified as in this picture. Just draw the line from the quadrant to the center, then off at any angle you wish (you'll need to turn ortho off to do the angled bit). Then just trim and erase as before, add the long line and there you go.

walking cane path.jpg

Hi,

That's another good idea Jack, although it may seem a little awkward to grasp if it was an actual design model but I'll keep it in mind. Thanks

haha Very funny DANIEL, nah won't see me wearing wild fur coats, gold shades and feathered hats! :P

I recreated my cane once again so it should look right. I still want to add more detailed attachments to it like with the box to fit beneath it, possible vertical adjustment tightener, holes, text, etc.

arc.dwg

Hi SFG,

For your path you can use also "Pline with option Arc" Advantage arc is always tangent with the line

Home tabe/Draw panel/Polyline

F8 key to activate ortho mode

Specify start point: 0,0

Current line-width is

Specify next point or [Arc/Close/Halfwidth/Length/Undo/Width]: 900 enter (Y axis)

Specify next point or [Arc/Close/Halfwidth/Length/Undo/Width]: A enter

Specify endpoint of arc or

[Angle/CEnter/CLose/Direction/Halfwidth/Line/Radius/Second pt/Undo/Width]: 100 enter (X axis right)

Specify endpoint of arc or

[Angle/CEnter/CLose/Direction/Halfwidth/Line/Radius/Second pt/Undo/Width]: L enter to return in line

Specify next point or [Arc/Close/Halfwidth/Length/Undo/Width]: enter to finish

Bye

Hi,

I have a couple objects that I want to attach to the cane:

I'm trying to attach the box to make it fit centered under the cane but I forgot how to do it? Do I use M? After that I got lost?

Also How do I get the small boomerang shaped object at the top left to have the curved in part fit on the side of the cane? :unsure:

arc1.dwg

Why a "box" at the bottom of the cane?

What purpose does the "boomerang shaped object" serve on the cane?

The box can be positioned using the MOVE command with the command modifier M2P (can also be invoked via MTP). This would allow you to move the box right to the endpoint of your 2D "path" line.

You do know that your "boomerang" is an extruded surface and not a solid right?

A couple pieces of temporary geometry will allow you to move this shape into position. Think "line" and "circle". Don't forget to use your Osnaps.