change length of layer control dropdown in toolbar

designerstuart

You can also "undock" the Ribbon Tool Palette (you DID know it's a Tool Palette, right?), and either widen the floating Palette, or Anchor (Left, or Right), and widen there as well.

Before:

CT_ribbon.float.before.png

After:

CT_ribbon.float.after.png

HTH

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• BlackBox

• nestly

• designerstuart

• Ollie8974

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

great, thanks nestly........

so i have been learning all about QAT, have managed to add some regular commands to it but cannot find it, or a layer combo control like you have, in my CUI. (incidentally cannot work out how to remove items from it no they are added, as simple drag or right-click not working)

any idea why i can use the QAT but not find it in the CUI? your demo is on 2009 too, right? i don't use the ribbon, but it's not shown in your shot either..... dunno!

also DNK you said confirmed - have you actually managed to do this? cos i notice nobody did a screen shot!

thanks chaps. you are awesome.

I was able to modify the ribbon, as I think nestly did. BTW, at the very top of his image is the modified drop down.

designerstuart, I'm using 2011 & 2012, but it should be the same for 2009.

First of all, you have to enable the QAT for each workspace that you want it to be displayed (I'm not sure if it's turned on in the Classic workspace by default) . Also you can have multiple QAT's with different tools, but only one can be active for each workspace.

In the left panel of the CUI, pick the workspace, then click the "Customize" button in the right panel, then go back to the left panel and there should be a checkbox next to the QAT. As soon as you check that and click "Done" then "Apply", the QAT should show up for that workspace.

Go back to the left panel, expand the Ribbon > Panels > Home - Layers > Row 3 > Layer List Combo Box. Right click on that and copy it, paste it into your QAT then you should see what's in my 1st screenshot, which allows you to enter a minimum and maximum length

The ability to add the Layer Control to QAT is not available in 2009 (I use 2009 & 2011 currently).

CT_qat.layer.control.png

Also, I did try following your post step-by-step, and also no workie (sorry no pic).

[unrelated]

Edit: Huh, I've always known that Land Desktop 2009 had a rediculously long name, but I just noticed that in the application title bar, the word AutoCAD appears twice. LoL

"AutoCAD Civil 3D Land Desktop Companion AutoCAD 2009"

... Wierd. Thank God we're getting rid of LDC this year (moving 100%->Civil 3D)!

[/unrelated]

RenderMan, You may be correct, I don't have 2009 to test, but just to clarify, are you trying to add the Toolbar layer control, or the Ribbon Layer List/dropdown?

Demo -->

@ Nestly -

First, screencast.com is pretty cool - thanks for sharing.

Second, there is no 'Layer List/dropdown' in 2009, there is only the 'Layer Control'. These pics *should* help to clarify:

Land Desktop 2009 CUI Editor:

CT_cui.2009.png

Land Desktop 2009, Layers Ribbon Panel:

CT_cui.2009.layer.control.png

Civil 3D 2011 CUI(x) Editor:

CT_cui.2011.png

^^ Note the missing 'Quick Access Toolbars' node in the 2009 CUI Editor.

I see... It looks like they re-used the existing Toolbar Layer control for the first generation Ribbon, but they created a different layer control for the Ribbon in later releases.

As for the missing QAT, apparently there was a bug in 2009 that can cause it not to appear in CUI, but it can apparently be restored without too much effort.

As for the missing QAT, apparently there was a bug in 2009 that can cause it not to appear in CUI, but it can apparently be restored without too much effort.

It's a first generation Ribbon deal....

I am pretty fanatical about updates, hotfixes, etc. and have never seen anything with regard to the QAT. As I understand it, and I could be wrong, the QAT functionality in 2009 is relegated to only being one item. In contrast, in 2011 and 2012 (and perhaps 2010?), the QAT supports multiple configurations.

I know that QAT will update in accordance with your workspace, however, there is no option menu button on the right side in 2009, as there is for 2011+ versions.

I'm only using 2009 for a handful of active projects, and once they're done, bye-bye 2009 (NLT New Year's Eve 2011). All new projects are being started in C3D.

I don't know if the 2009 permits multiple QAT's but from my reading, I'm pretty sure it's fully customizable and there should be a QAT node in the CUI. If it's not there, I think it may have been omitted due to migration bugs, and it should be able to be transferred into the main CUI afterwards from the original acad.cui.

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/AutoCAD-LT/Quick-Access-toolbar-disappeared/td-p/2664809

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/AutoCAD-2009/Quick-Access-Toolbar-missing/td-p/2591992

-disclaimer- as I said before, I don't have 2009, so anything I'm saying about 2009 is all based on 2nd-hand information... I may well be all wet :unsure:

I don't know if the 2009 permits multiple QAT's but from my reading, I'm pretty sure it's fully customizable and there should be a QAT node in the CUI. If it's not there, I think it may have been omitted due to migration bugs, and it should be able to be transferred into the main CUI afterwards from the original acad.cui.

You are correct that 2009 has a QAT... just not to the same functionality of that found in 2011+.

The QAT for 2009 is full customizable, and will also change with one's workspace. However, it does not operate the same as that found in newer versions, and as already discussed, there are multiple other differences in what is available to the CUI Editor(s) as well.

thanks for continuing this guys

nice one renderman, those pics are what i should have posted! and just to clarify, when you get to the layer control item in CUI (2nd image, #26) it is greyed out, not selectable. i assume that means it cannot be placed in the QAT, and other places?

sorry for possibly stupid questions, i just don't understand some of what you said above!

but i'm still puzzled by not being able to remove things from the QAT - could this be related to its reduced functionality? it's as if they've accidentally forgotten to put an entry for it in the menu.... i have a vain hope that if i can sort this out, i may become enlightened?!

thanks again

You can also "undock" the Ribbon Tool Palette (you DID know it's a Tool Palette, right?)

i've been looking at this solution - i like it. must say i didn't know how the ribbon worked, but reckon i could make a little tool palette just for this dropdown, and stick it up over file - edit - etc (i tend to work with commands - very few buttons / toolbars required) that would work for me. will look into this.

thanks for continuing this guys

I too am enjoying this discussion, so I am glad you find it helpful as well! :D

nice one renderman, those pics are what i should have posted!

That is very kind of you to say, and I'm glad the pictures are helpful.

and just to clarify, when you get to the layer control item in CUI (2nd image, #26) it is greyed out, not selectable. i assume that means it cannot be placed in the QAT, and other places?

This suggests that the containing CUI file is Read-only (perhaps Read-only Partial CUI, or Enterprise CUI?), however, as shown earlier the 'Layer Control' cannot be added to the QAT in 2009.

Separately, as this may help in other situations... If you find a CUI item that you want to modify, but are unable to (due to Read-only Partial CUI file, or Enterprise CUI), this may help:

Find the desired CUI item (from the source Partial CUI, or Enterprise CUI)... I'll use a Ribbon Panel for this example, Right Click the desired CUI Item, and select Copy. Then navigate to your Main CUI, Right Click the applicable node, and select Paste.

There may be something else entirely in your situation; without additional information it's hard for me to know for certain.

sorry for possibly stupid questions, i just don't understand some of what you said above!

No worries; we all start somewhere... I often have questions of my own.

but i'm still puzzled by not being able to remove things from the QAT - could this be related to its reduced functionality? it's as if they've accidentally forgotten to put an entry for it in the menu....

Again, the functionality of the QAT is very different from 2009->2011.

... In 2009, the QAT is solely a sub-component of the Workspace Item. To customize, Open the CUI Editor, and in the left pane select the desired workspace. In the right pane expand the QAT node, and Right Click the undesired items (one at a time), and select Remove.

Example:

CT_cui.2009.remove.from.qat.jpg

i have a vain hope that if i can sort this out, i may become enlightened?!

This has always helped me to keep things in perspective:

There are two ways of spreading light; to be the candle or the mirror that reflects it.

You can also "undock" the Ribbon Tool Palette (you DID know it's a Tool Palette, right?)

i've been looking at this solution - i like it. must say i didn't know how the ribbon worked, but reckon i could make a little tool palette just for this dropdown, and stick it up over file - edit - etc (i tend to work with commands - very few buttons / toolbars required) that would work for me. will look into this.

Surprisingly, most are not aware that the Ribbon is in fact a Tool Palette, and by definition, inherits similar functionality. I blame Autodesk for doing a poor job selling others on the Ribbon interface - as it turns out they were too busy forcing down everyone's throat, instead of simply demonstrating it's flexibility & potential... I digress :sigh:

In addition to being 'Docked' (Top, Left, Right), Floating, and Anchored (Left/Right), one can also 'Dock' the Ribbon Tool Palette along the Bottom:

CT_ribbon06.png

... Again, this will simply suffer the same Panel width issue this thread is attempting to combat.

Edit: This thread may also be helpful in clarifying some of the benefits, and many of the flaws with the Ribbon Tool Palette.

I hope this helps!

I'm enjoying this topic as well. It's interesting to me to learn how the CUI / Ribbon / QAT has progressed. But we did kinda go down a different road than simply changing the width of the Layer dropdown. If anyone tries, or has tried, the QuikPik utility, I'd be interested in knowing how well it works.

... we did kinda go down a different road than simply changing the width of the Layer dropdown.

My bad :oops: ... [TalkingToSelf] stupid OCD! :ouch: [/TalkingToSelf]

LoL whistling.gif

My bad :oops: ...

No, I think I'm the one that turned the discussion toward the QAT, rather than just focusing widening the existing layer dropdown list.

I found this in an old thread at the Swamp. but Cadwerx has closed and I can't seem find it anywhere to download.

--- Quote ---***** FixCombos for AutoCAD 2004, Enlarged Layer and Linetype Combos *****

***** FixCombos - AutoCAD 2004/5/6 Utility *****

FixCombos enlarges the layer, linetype, text style, dim style, plot style, and table style (2005+ only) combos in AutoCAD's main toolbar. It sets the vertical size to the bottom of the drawing window and the width to 300. Note that if either combo does not contain enough items to reach the vertical limit then the combo is truncated to the last item.

You can override the default width by adding/setting the following DWORD entries in the registry:

Key Name -

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\CADwerx\FixCombos

Value Names -

LayerWidth

LtypeWidth

TxtStyleWidth

DimStyleWidth

PStyleWidth

TableStyleWidth

No, I think I'm the one that turned the discussion toward the QAT, rather than just focusing widening the existing layer dropdown list.

Let's Get him!!!

angry-mob.jpeg?w=500&h=425

2funny.gif

i think QAT is the best solution so far (i'm a skinflint) so rightly that's where we got to.

And thanks RenderMan for the 'remove' solution. after a good year of playing with it, i am coming to understand how to use the CUI. s l o w l y .

thanks RenderMan for the 'remove' solution. after a good year of playing with it, i am coming to understand how to use the CUI. s l o w l y .

No worries; we all start somewhere.

Autodesk University is a great place to take free courses (if you're on subscription).

Perhaps these will help (all direct links to course PDF's):

AU 2010 - How to Customize AutoCAD Without Being a CUI Expert

AU 2009 - The AutoCAD Toolbelt: Customizing Power Tools and Techniques

AU 2009 - A Working Enterprise CUI In Front of Your Eyes