Can I use revit parts supplied by manufacturers in AutoCAD MEP?

cancer24

I don't know much about MEP, but if all else fails, if you have or know someone who has Revit, you can always drop them in a drawing and then use the export option. I've done that a few times, it's not hard to do.

Jack is right. You cannot share native RVT files with DWG files so the only option is to export from Revit to a DWG format, and in your export options make sure and choose the ASCII Solids option. In my opinion however, this is a bad habit. I always create my content native in AutoCAD MEP and save it in my custom catalogs directly from the submittal data.

This is an example of how those conversions come out. It's ok if you just need a representation of the object, but if you intend on modifying it in any way it's going to be as much work as drawing it from scratch nearly. This is a shoulder press for a gym. As you can see, the model is all one piece. Handles, seat, weights, everything all one entity.

Styk is right, not really a good practice, but can be done.

shoulder press.dwg

I also find that once converted into ACAD, and then converted to an MV Part, strange things happen......

I like to apply hatch to my "plan view" MV Parts, and for some reason the Hatch will never "stay" within the part....

Most items look great when modeled, but I would stick with making your own.

I have a million dollar question, why will manufactures not make MV Parts?

Most Contractor side detailers use AMEP, not REVIT, and most Engineers (consultants) could care less about drawing equipment to scale.... Just saying :)

No offense to any consultants, its just what I see on a daily basis.

Revit has been pushed by Autodesk much more than AutoCAD MEP has is why, in my opinion. And technically Revit has much more intuition as the program matures in the next 5 years or more. Especially since Revit Server is here.

So what your saying is you can see REVIT taking the place of AMEP? My biggest hang up is my "third party" software, once they have a REVIT product, I could see moving fully into REVIT. Kinda scary....after about 5 years, I'm getting halfway good with AMEP :)

I would say yes to taking the place of AutoCAD MEP, but no to taking the place of AutoCAD in general. Revit isn't a "drawing" app. It's a modeling app. You will always need to just "draw" something to clearly represent something to guys in the field or whatever. AutoCAD MEP is still my favorite of the two for many reasons but I can see Revit completely taking over once it finally gets to the mature app it's headed to.

Revit Server allows for the general contractor to "own" the file. When you work in your MEP file it's updating on the byte level back to the G.C. allowing for instant coordination of trades. So if you have a 80MB file, and you move a hanger, it will only send the 12KB worth of info to the G.C. over the internet which is how this process is now available. It's really sweet actually and can be beneficial but at the same time a burden. For instance, Heaven forbid I move a piece of duct out of the way temporarily then I get a phone call,"Uh, Tannar, your duct is colliding with our structural steel model." "Yeah, um, GIVE ME FIVE MINUTES."

haha

I could see the advantage but I REALLY don't want the GC enabled to be "Big Brother" any more than they already are!!! You will get my .nwd, when I'm finished!! Ha!!!

I like being in the driver seat when it comes to BIM projects. There is nothing worse than being involved with a large BIM job and having a GC BIM guy who thinks you are "Now" working for them!! I have found most don't have a great understanding of the MEP world...

I have done my best to position myself and the contractor(s) that I work for, to actually rum the MEP BIM process for the GC.

Well the G.C. has all of us in a pickle. They sell the building owner the BIM, VDC, and IPD and a 3D as-built. So in the interviewing process, not only will they ask if you do BIM, but if you will use Revit. If you don't, they'll get someone who does leaving you without work.

Granted, that's the future. It's definitely coming, I'm already working on a job with a big G.C. that has adopted Revit Server now.

Oh I totally agree! I'm prepared to work out of REVIT, I just don't want to. but I agree, you better be prepared to conform to what the owner wants. I do alot of work for MEP consultants as well, and for years I have been telling them to start trainig and using REVIT, because the Architects are rapidly moving to REVIT and thus they will expect their Engineers to use it as well.... alot did not listen and they have lost ALOT of work over the past few years.

• 2 months later...

Revit Server allows for the general contractor to "own" the file. When you work in your MEP file it's updating on the byte level back to the G.C. allowing for instant coordination of trades. So if you have a 80MB file, and you move a hanger, it will only send the 12KB worth of info to the G.C. over the internet which is how this process is now available. It's really sweet actually and can be beneficial but at the same time a burden. For instance, Heaven forbid I move a piece of duct out of the way temporarily then I get a phone call,"Uh, Tannar, your duct is colliding with our structural steel model." "Yeah, um, GIVE ME FIVE MINUTES."

haha

Does this thing occurs in revit?. I couldnt understand what you mean. Do you mean revit has online library or so?