Job Descriptions

bennyboy86

around here if you give people titles to aspire towards they will expect an increase in there pay grade when they achieve it, something to consider, I'm sure you don't want any of this to lead to a disgruntled employee. :)

:huh: Disgruntled... ? >

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• DANIEL

• BlackBox

• Jack_O'neill

• bennyboy86

Give me the title, give me the responsibility, I'll expect the (small) pay raise in a month when I've proven myself. Most importantly, if you're giving me a title, support me. Don't tell me I'm above anyone but not tell them.

I'm with Fried on this one... I want it all, and am willing, able to prove I'm worth it. Stop telling me (us) that we're not profitable enough to restore pay rates, or make promotions, then turn around and hand out quarterly bonuses to the engineers.

[MumblesUnderBreath]

>!

[/MumblesUnderBreath]

I'd rather you keep the title and just give me more money. Being able to sign "Lord High MucketymucK after my name does nothing towards helping me pay the mortgage.

I dont disagree' date=' but see fried's post as to my concerns with handing out titles ...

Give me the title, give me the responsibility, I'll expect the (small) pay raise in a month when I've proven myself. Most importantly, if you're giving me a title, support me. Don't tell me I'm above anyone but not tell them.

I absolutely agree :)

:huh: Disgruntled... ? >

which begs the question, at what point were you gruntled? never! because the word does not exist!

I dont disagree, but see fried's post as to my concerns with handing out titles ...
Oh I understand. I worked for a little 2-way radio shop for a couple years. There were 6 full time and one part time employee. About midway through my second year, the boss calls me up to the office and tells me what a great job I've done and how impressed he and the owner is. I'm feeling pretty good at this point, but this ain't my first rodeo, I'm waiting for the other shoe to drop. Tells me that they can't give me any more money right now even though they'd like to, but I'm getting a promotion instead. I'm the new "operations manager". After a couple hours of talking about what this meant, I discovered that now I'm responsible for getting all the repairs and new product out the door, keeping up with the inventory and ordering parts, but had absolutely no authority to make these things happen. If the repair guy decided to screw off all day I got yelled at for it, but got in a world of crap for crawling his butt for it. Six months of that and I was back drafting for more money and less stress.

I absolutely agree :)
I'm at a point in my career now that I don't feel I have to prove anything to anybody, least of all myself. I know what I can do, and can demonstrate it on request. Once that's done, give me the direction then get out of the way and let me get us there. If you insist on standing in the way, keep the title and the blame for yourself.

which begs the question, at what point were you gruntled? never! because the word does not exist!

Sorry, it does exist. http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/gruntle

:shock:

:offtopic:

Ha, ha... another one that irks me, is we have one engineer that is constantly saying "irregardless." :facepalm: ... No dude, the word is "regardless."

I was actually quite happy (perhaps not quit 'gruntled') early on.

Then my employer (the one who sold the company last year), preemptively implemented hardships on the employees about 6+ months before things started to turn south to stockpile funds for the rainy days to come. For me, this coincidentally meant one week before a substantial promotion that my supervisor had made me aware of months earlier, was now non-existent.

...That was almost four years ago, and they still haven't restored the 20% of our paycheck they took back then, the furloughs taken, the stocks that were mandated we donate, or the vacation time confiscated either. So yeah, I'm quite disgruntled at this point.

I had to stay though, as my Fiance was finishing college, etc. I have another review coming this fall, if something (substantial) doesn't happen by then, I'm done. :itsover:

Origin of GRUNTLE

back-formation from disgruntle

I like making up words too, like craptastic lol :D

I feel your pain Renderman, my employer is on thin ice too but they havnt screwed me out of my monetary suppliments ....

and I dont think this is too far off topic as its all pertaining to titles given and whats expected of the eployer and the employee pertaining to what ever respective title is in question :)

yeah that is what we are doing that if they can reach the targets/objectives in the job descriptions they will get a pay rise but if they slack of they get nothing. i agree with Jack_O'neill i know what i can do and so do they which is why i got this promotion over guys that have been here for 6+years but again that is also becuase i work damn hard and get my job done, so having this titles are good for our place because we are hoping to get these other guys moving there asses abit more. i think most people got stung in that financial criss i missed out on two years of payrises at my former place of work which is why i quit, that is the good thing with where i live we have more drafting jobs then we have drafters so not to hard to find a new job at the moment.

I'm with Fried on this one... I want it all, and am willing, able to prove I'm worth it. Stop telling me (us) that we're not profitable enough to restore pay rates, or make promotions, then turn around and hand out quarterly bonuses to the engineers.

[MumblesUnderBreath]

>!

[/MumblesUnderBreath]

Quartery bonuses?

I expect a payrise at least equal to or above the rate of inflation for that year.

they still haven't restored the 20% of our paycheck they took back then

I'd be walking out the door (when it happened) at this. If I like working somewhere and the company was in real trouble (not just a % reduction in profit), I would perhaps continue to work there on my current salary without expecting a raise. However I would not take a pay cut as at the end of the day your own personal needs have to come first before that of a company (regardless of how loyal they have been/how long you have worked there).

the furloughs taken, the stocks that were mandated we donate, or the vacation time confiscated either. So yeah, I'm quite disgruntled at this point.

How is all of that not illegal???

IMO the issue isn't the job title that's important, it's the job description. We had a new General Manager come in to 're-invent the wheel' a few years ago. He was adamant that everyone was signed up with 'job title' and 'job description'. I reckon it's like a 'label the beast' syndrome. He needed everyone in their place.

More fool him, he only defined about half of the duties that I and a few others were responsible for on our job descriptions. The division managers were perplexed when many jobs, that all used to be part of the normal design/detail/manufacture chore were no longer being carried out efficiently. We simply said, 'it ain't in our job description', and if they wanted us to do extra work we would have to re-negotiate our terms.... LOL.

The solution was a quick golden handshake to the General Manager and re-delegation back to division heads, as before.....

around here if you give people titles to aspire towards they will expect an increase in there pay grade when they achieve it, something to consider, I'm sure you don't want any of this to lead to a disgruntled employee. :)

I agree. Their role and what is expected of them should have been defined when they were hired, not later on.

More fool him, he only defined about half of the duties that I and a few others were responsible for on our job descriptions. The division managers were perplexed when many jobs, that all used to be part of the normal design/detail/manufacture chore were no longer being carried out efficiently. We simply said, 'it ain't in our job description', and if they wanted us to do extra work we would have to re-negotiate our terms.... LOL.

That seems rather childish to me.

Dink87522, your opinions, out of context, are valid. However, in context it wasn't childish. I didn't expand to say the new GM restructured the company and re-defined positions/roles with signing of new 'workplace agreements'. In defining these positions he also reduced the salaries of many staff members and employees to justify 'his' position. He made waves that we were simply responding to. He was the one that forced change and we were following his implementation of 'job descriptions' aka 'job functions'.

My advice really is if you are going down that road, the 'job description' is more valid than any title pinned to the employee.