3D Arc for Help with Curved Sloping Beam

steelstacker

I am detailing a curved beam on a 4 5/8:12 roof slope. I understand there is no 3d arc command, but I need a simple way to find the length of an arc with a specific radius, and endpoints that have different z elevations. I don't need to render, surface, or anything, just need to be able to measure the length. Any suggestions?

What next? When I transform to a polyline it still won't let me move the end of the arc to another z elevation, so it's still the same length as in the plan view. I've drawn an arc at elevation z=0, and I need the start point 3'-6 11/16" higher than the end point.

you sure you cant move the end grip of the polyline?

I assume you have basic knowledge in 3D manipulation since u are talkin about moving objects along the z axis, you could just rotate your crosshair to a position where you can pull one end of the polyline up or down.

Yes, I'm familiar with 3d and have used it to lay out frames but never with arcs. I've tried the stretch command using the end of the pline as my stretch from point, I've tried moving the vertex from within the pedit command..... but nothing is working. I really hate to make this a field cut part. If I'm having a hard time here, I can only imagine the problem they'd have 20' up in the air at the jobsite. It's been years since Calculus, and I don't even really know where to begin in calculating it. Any other suggestions?

the beam you would be referring to is the W12X22 right? and you want to get the actual length of the wide flange, but what do you mean when you say you want to adjust one end of the arc to a different Z elevation? from what I can see is that this is just a 2D drawing.

and yes definitely dont do measurements in the field when your 20' up in the air

I’m interpreting the drawing as something like this. If that is true then a general question which needs addressing would be; should the beam be an arc rotated off horizontal (elliptical in Plan) to simplify beam fabrication, or should the beam be an arc in Plan (elliptical in the 4 5/8:12 plane) to ease construction of subsequent features – a curtain wall perhaps.

The attached is an example of the latter.

BentBeam.dwg

Yes, the W12x22. It is just a 2d drawing....also not to scale. I have now done a line dwg 3d. I have even managed to reset my ucs and drawn arcs, but I'm not confident. Especially since I don't know how to calculate it to check myself. I haven't done alot of 3d work, so I guess I probably know just enough to be dangerous. Then if what I have is correct, I'm gonna have to figure out how to do the cuts on the ends of the beam, to actually make the connections. My 3d dwg is too large to upload, I'm sending a pdf of it (but I don't know if it will help). Any input would be greatly appreciated.

WORK 3D-Model.pdf

If I understand your question correctly.....The beam should be an arc rotated off horizontal (elliptical in Plan) to simplify beam fabrication and this will allow attachment of Z purlins for roof framing. The actual wall will be fabricated from metal studs.

Ok I got it, first copy your W18X40 beam to 3'-6 11/16", or just reorient your UCS then offset it to that distance.

then rotate(with reference) your Arc using its midpoint as your base, then snap it on the offset W18X40 beam.

the grips of your arc can now be adjusted to snap at the ends of the W18X40 beam. after, just Pedit your arc then check out its properties to see the length

01.jpg

02.jpg

03.jpg