What's Missing In Autocad

Ritch7

my colleague asked me a good question today...

what would you expect or hope to see in autocad 2010 and so on...

what have autodesk not covered?! on a realistic basis?

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SuperCAD

• Attila The Gel

• Cad64

• skipsophrenic

I'd like to see AutoDesk skip an actual release and fix any and all bugs in the existing program. Make it work faster, be less cluttered and more intuitive. I'd also like to see them refund part of the purchase price or subscription fee as a way of apologizing to the community of local AutoCAD supporters who bought into the bigger (more bloated) is better lie. An offer of a free AutoDesk product in lieu of this would be acceptable too. I'll take Inventor or 3ds Max. Send me either. I'll try to put on my happy face.

Oh yeah, one more thing, not so much to do with AutoCAD per se, but could they please return the Discussion Forums back to the old format. The site is so stupidly slow and the way it operates is so inefficient it makes me dread going there or even suggesting its use to anyone with a problem that can not be solved here. That's a real shame since there are a lot of smart, dedicated AutoCAD users that frequented the site making an effort to offer good, free advice to their fellow AutoCAD users. AutoDesk should send them all a paycheck and tell their own people to pound sand for one week.

OK. Rant over. Here's your soapbox back.

I agree with ReMark! We all downloaded Civil 3D '09 and it basically would not work unless we downloaded the update. It's strange that they release new software, but there is an update less than 2 months later. I feel they should slow down their release date and try to work the bugs out before, instead of after it's on the market. Thanks for my turn on the soapbox!

While the customer (and the beancounters) would probably benefit more from an every-other-year release schedule it's the mania of more money, more money, more money that drives the process. A two year release schedule would be beneficial to the code development and implementation, be less of a financial problem for companies, and would make the actual learning of the new interface and commands a whole lot less stressful and easier. Just an opinion. Feel free to disagree.

Hey, just look at what greed has done for our financial market. Now there's an example to follow.:( Right.:glare:

Autodesk's web (forums) site is the pits.

I do visit often but, a pain since Autodesk's "upgrade." Not friendly.

Back up to the older format Autodesk! :sick:

A few things right off the top of my head:

1. An option to notch a corner much like the way we can fillet and chamfer.

2. When working in 3D, give us more than one friggin' grip when we modify a solid (i.e. union, subtract, taper, etc.).

3. Also when working in 3D, if we cut a hole into a solid and then we have to move that hole, it'd be nice to just move the hole rather than fill it with another solid piece and cut a new hole.

Give me some time, I've got more.

3. Also when working in 3D, if we cut a hole into a solid and then we have to move that hole, it'd be nice to just move the hole rather than fill it with another solid piece and cut a new hole.

Try the SOLIDEDIT command.

Try the SOLIDEDIT command.

THANK YOU!!!! THANK YOU!!!! THANK YOU!!!! THANK YOU!!!! THANK YOU!!!! THANK YOU!!!! THANK YOU!!!! THANK YOU!!!! THANK YOU!!!! THANK YOU!!!!

I feel like an idiot for not knowing that command existed, but you have made my job much easier. Again, THANK YOU!!!

THANK YOU!!!! THANK YOU!!!! THANK YOU!!!! THANK YOU!!!! THANK YOU!!!! THANK YOU!!!! THANK YOU!!!! THANK YOU!!!! THANK YOU!!!! THANK YOU!!!!

I feel like an idiot for not knowing that command existed, but you have made my job much easier. Again, THANK YOU!!!

You can also hold Ctrl button and select the hole in an 3d ofject, then move it, works faster for me!

I want predictable text, like on my mobile phone. So I can just start typing RENDE

and low and behold RENDERED BRICK WALL

Do-able I would think. Am happy to wait untill bugs from last version are sorted of course.

I want predictable text, like on my mobile phone. So I can just start typing RENDE

and low and behold RENDERED BRICK WALL

Do-able I would think. Am happy to wait untill bugs from last version are sorted of course.

yeah, but look at the tripe people send on texts coz they don't check them before sending! 'when will you be good?' 'fancy a adds?'

I hope some of the people who post on this forum use a spell checker before the send drawings out to clients though! (Sorry - pet gripe of mine, from hanging around on another forum which is MUCH MUCH worse!)

yeah, but look at the tripe people send on texts coz they don't check them before sending! 'when will you be good?' 'fancy a adds?'

I hope some of the people who post on this forum use a spell checker before the send drawings out to clients though! (Sorry - pet gripe of mine, from hanging around on another forum which is MUCH MUCH worse!)

Spell Checker helps, but doesn't always pick up the errors, i tend to spell check and then just to be sure do a check print and re-read it myself first. (a bit of extra time now, saves a lot of trouble later)

of course, if those errors aren't made in the first place it helps :wink:

remember GIGO :thumbsup:

Auto corrections are the worst though - we've had some very interesting documents produced when Word has decided to replace all the technical words for ones it likes better!

It would be nice to have spell check underline the words that it assumes you have misspelled. Much like Word or FireFox does. That way, it won't autocorrect the word, but you'll at least be aware of it.

It would be nice to have spell check underline the words that it assumes you have misspelled. Much like Word or FireFox does. That way, it won't autocorrect the word, but you'll at least be aware of it.

In '09 it does that. It puts a red underline under words it feels are being spelled wrong. All you need to do is right click and it gives a list of possible replacements. A very cool new feature.