What are arrowheads in AutoCAD composed of?

toastonrye

I spent most of my work day searching, no luck.

My issue is we have a series of drawings with drill hole layouts, that are suppose to be imported into Vulcan. Tried various DWG/DXF options to export.

All the lines, text, co-ordinates come in perfect except these arrowheads. They are important as it explains which way a drill hole was made.

When you click on a supposed arrow in Vulcan, it's only a line. Well you can distinguish what is suppose to be the leader, and what is the arrow head. Only there is no arrowhead, just a short line.

Does that make sense? Basically does autocad store arrowheads in a way only it can easily understand? :ouch:

EDIT:

Ok, I think I just read that they are stored as blocks. I then read this:

"If you import a DXF or DWG file that contains a large number of blocks (more than 200), you are prompted to enable the Explode Blocks option. Explode the blocks to improve import performance."

I'll have to give it a try tomorrow morning. Maybe I'm completely off track still...

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• BlackBox

• toastonrye

• DANIEL

• SLW210

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Welcome to CADTutor!

As I understand it, the arrow heads of leaders are blocks defined within the drawing. I don't even know what Vulcan is (outside of Start Trek), but it sounds like the data exported to Vulcan is missing the block definition (if it even supports that functionality) that the leaders are referencing.

*IF* you cannot get Vulcan to register the block definition that defines your arrowhead, then the only option that I can think of (which is terrible!), is for your to explode the leader prior to your export.

Yuk! I have a bad taste in my mouth for even saying that. Sorry. I don't like recommending poor practices.

Hope this helps!

Thanks for your quick reply.

Vulcan is used for modelling mining projects. In my opinion it is wildly un-userfriendly and counter intuitive. I'm probably bias, but anyways work just switched to it.

I think Vulcan is in a beta, with many known bugs still waiting to be fixed. Possibly recognizing blocks is one of them. Until that time results are the important part, good practice can get pushed aside.

You're welcome. :)

Well, I 'spose, if exploding the leader (thereby turning the referenced arrowhead block into simple geometry) helps you complete your work, then it's worth it.

Let me know how it works out, and good luck!

When I was making the name sometime ago, I looked around the room. I was snacking on some peanut butter toast, which was balanced on my bottle of rye.

o:)

Coffee tables are expensive.

I have the same problem with similar software (not Vulcan, never heard of that one) and if I wanted to import anything from an AutoCad file that is a block, the blocks must be exploded first (all blocks! not just leaders). It is a pain although is something that rarely has to occur.

Nice computer there Tankman!

I like the whiskey pc setup, very classy.

Ok, new problem.

When I explode the blocks in AutoCAD there is 3 lines of text associated with each arrowheads direction. They are attributes indicating hole number, pitch, and breakthrough level. When I explode the blocks (there is a lot) all the text's info gets lost and replaced with hole#, pitch, btlvl.

Vulcan appears to not be able to handle blocks (or the info gets lost in the DXF file format). I made a simple square block and it got imported as 3 lines in Vulcan.

It's not a total loss though, I can tell where the arrowheads should be, so someone gets the daunting task of going through and symbolizing each one. :)

Thanks for the suggestions.

EDIT:

I should mention that exploding the arrowheads in AutoCAD still import as a line in Vulcan.

Ok, new problem.

When I explode the blocks in AutoCAD there is 3 lines of text associated with each arrowheads direction. They are attributes indicating hole number, pitch, and breakthrough level. When I explode the blocks (there is a lot) all the text's info gets lost and replaced with hole#, pitch, btlvl.

Vulcan appears to not be able to handle blocks (or the info gets lost in the DXF file format). I made a simple square block and it got imported as 3 lines in Vulcan.

It's not a total loss though, I can tell where the arrowheads should be, so someone gets the daunting task of going through and symbolizing each one. :)

Thanks for the suggestions.

EDIT:

I should mention that exploding the arrowheads in AutoCAD still import as a line in Vulcan.

For future reference, instead of exploding an attributed block, try using BURST command to retain the TextString.

When using BURST or EXPLODE the block would be broken down into simple geometry (lines, arc, etc.). If the resultant geometry is unable to be brought over, I am out of suggestions. I have never heard of Vulcan until your post.

HTH

I'm pretty certain a standard AutoCAD arrowhead is a filled (or not filled) solid. Not a solid body mind you. Optionally it can be replaced by a user specified block.

I'm pretty certain a standard AutoCAD arrowhead is a filled (or not filled) solid. Not a solid body mind you. Optionally it can be replaced by a user specified block.

I concur ....

Are you saving to R12 DXF?

I have tried using:

R12/LT2 DXF

R13/LT95 DXF

R14/LT98 DXF

2000 DXF

With no visible changes that I could notice.

And RenderMan, I just tried the burst command. It keeps my text which is great, but the directional arrow still a no go.

I think I have settled on my half witted solution though. Thanks for the suggestions.

Try setting your phaser for disintegrate and get rid of the Vulcan.

I was just saying yesterday that autocad needed to come with default lazer sound effects!

I was just saying yesterday that autocad needed to come with default lazer sound effects!

It's no lazer, but this will certainly catch the unsuspecting off-guard. :playing: