2D to 3D

dpdan06

Hi,

I am trying to figure out the most efficient way to draw a set of shutters in 3D. I took AutoCAD courses all through high school however we never learned 3D. If anyone can put me on the right path that would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Dan

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ReMark

• dpdan06

• f700es

• Stryker1989

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Could you explain that process a little further? I have tried to use to sweep command after watching some tutorials yet I still can't get it down. I have also tried to draw the top view and then extrude it, but I have no idea how to draw the luevers on an angle and insert them into the side of the shutter.

Thanks again,

Dan

Build your frame first then extrude it.

Create one profile (a section) of a slat. Extrude that. Use the copy command to create the required number.

Shutter_1.jpg

Here's some simple but powerful documentation to get you started, right from the AutoCAD user guide.

Creating 3D Solids:

http://exchange.autodesk.com/autocad/enu/online-help/search#WS1a9193826455f5ffa23ce210c4a30acaf-68e7.htm

Additional 3D commands (to help the concept of working in three dimensions):

http://exchange.autodesk.com/autocad/enu/online-help/search#sorted_group_d3e6.htm

Create the 2D frame geometry then use the REGION command. Then use the SUBTRACT command and subtract the small rectangles from the large rectangle. Finally, use the EXTRUDE command to give the frame some height.

You are also going to have to know how to manipulate your UCS when it comes to the slats.

How would I go about making the slats in 2D on an angle that when I make my model 3 dimensional it will show up as such. I am struggling to wrap my head around converting properly, and making the shutter in general

@ReMark

How did you make the slots in 3D in the image you posted? That is the main problem I am having. I do not know how to design them in 2D and to then convert them in 3D on an angle.

I did it rather crudely for demonstration purposes so I used a rectangle which I then extruded.

You can create the profile (a rectangle) in a top down 2D view if that is easier for you and then set your angle. Extrude this first slat then reproduce the required number using the array command. Your next step will be to locate these slats in the proper position inside your frame.

Hi dpdan,

firstly if anyone has any other suggestions follow them because they are more likely to be right :unsure: (like ReMark who has beaten me to it)

how far can you get mate? can you get to the point where you have the 3d frame without the slats?

If you can from there you can draw a polyline profile of the slat on the inside of the frame a shown below:

Slats.jpg

and Extrude that. it will be easier to copy the profile of the slat than redraw it every time. not sure if this is the best way to do it but it's the way I would.

make sure when you draw the profile that you draw it in the right plane.

Since AutoCAD provides the user with many different ways to do the same thing I say use what works best for you. That includes Stryker too.

I drew the frame in top view and then extruded it, so I believe my frame is fine (It looks similar to yours ^ ). I am just struggling with the slats. I will try both of your suggestions now. Thanks again.

The awkward thing about my version is getting the profile in the right place, when I drew it the first time it was on the XZ plane, and even though it looked perfectly fine, it extruded straight up as would be expected to had to move the profile.

I drew the frame in top view and then extruded it, so I believe my frame is fine (It looks similar to yours ^ ). I am just struggling with the slats. I will try both of your suggestions now. Thanks again.

@dpdan- maybe the 3R command will enter in this case.(3drotate command)after extruding it you need to rotate the slats.hope it helps.goodluck.

I forgot to mention that I am doing this on AutoCAD for mac. Also, it is the 2012 trial version. I am still struggling to piece the whole thing together.