Scaling forum/FAQ?

CyberAngel

Maybe it's just me, but it seems like there are a lot of questions about scaling lately. Usually the questions are basic. If we had a forum or a FAQ devoted to scale issues, these people might be able to find their answers more easily. As it is, they post the same types of questions over and over, which wastes everyone's time.

Just a thought.

I agree, as I haven't had to do any drawings to scale as of yet it is only a matter of time before I have to and even though there are many a topic covering this the posts can take some time to sift through. And like CyberAngel has said it would stop us newbie's from repeating topics.

As you point out this has been asked many times. Are people more likely to search for an FAQ than they are to use the search facility already available?

Speaking for myself, I definitely would, I find FAQ's much easier to search through and chances are if you have one question you have a few. In which case from previous experience going through FAQ's I have found myself looking at other questions and thinking: 'Yeah I would like to know that too'.

The irony being that as this topic has been discussed many, many time before, only AFTER the thread has been created is the 'similar threads' visible to the member (below their new thread).

It is unfortunate that most question askers do not utilize the 'search' functionality prior to posting a new thread... perhaps that is learned only after being a member for some time, or at least becoming more familiar with the site in general.

As for the new FAQ idea, give this a look-see: New FAQ Forum (Created 2005-04-12)

Edit: ^^ Found this looking in the 'similar threads' below! :rofl: LoL

Cheers! :beer:

The irony being that as this topic has been discussed many, many time before, only AFTER the thread has been created is the 'similar threads' visible to the member (below their new thread).

It is unfortunate that most question askers do not utilize the 'search' functionality prior to posting a new thread... perhaps that is learned only after being a member for some time, or at least becoming more familiar with the site in general.

As for the new FAQ idea, give this a look-see: New FAQ Forum (Created 2005-04-12)

Edit: ^^ Found this looking in the 'similar threads' below! :rofl: LoL

Cheers! :beer:

I used Google enough to search for answers on my questions and I was typically brought here. So I figured I would join up with a question and then stay to contribute back.

I think it comes down to most people don't know what search terms to query for their question.

Even with a FAQ section many newcomers bypass it (Are they ignoring it, don't see it, or too much in a hurry?) to ask the same question time and time again.

Maybe CADTutor is a victim of its own success since many questions get answered fairly quickly. Why bother going on a search for something when that kind of response is the norm?

I used Google enough to search for answers on my questions and I was typically brought here. So I figured I would join up with a question and then stay to contribute back.

I think it comes down to most people don't know what search terms to query for their question.

I agree with both of your points, the first is the reason that I joined being a new user and googling questions brought Cad Tutor up nine times out of ten. And the second is something I deal with on a daily basis when people want to know things and I say google it and then come back and say they found nothing when I can put a few key words in and bring up their exact question.

I also have to agree with ReMark though that most of the time before I have even thought of an answer for a question, someone (usually ReMark himself) has beaten me to it. So you do get a swift response to your exact question.

Even with a FAQ section many newcomers bypass it (Are they ignoring it, don't see it, or too much in a hurry?) to ask the same question time and time again.

Maybe CADTutor is a victim of its own success since many questions get answered fairly quickly. Why bother going on a search for something when that kind of response is the norm?

Some of it is due to a lack of experience on a new user's part. When people are focused on both learning how do use software and getting a job done with that software they tend to get tunnel vision. They may not realize that the answer to an existing "How do I scale my drawing to 1/4"=1 ft" will apply with only slight modification to his own question of "how do I scale my drawing to 5/16"=1 ft." I have occasionally helped out in some adult education classes that my wife volunteers to teach from time to time and I've seen her go over how to solve a math problem on the board, and then put an identical problem with different numbers up for them to work through and have half the class give her a blank stare. Some will even ask, "ok, i get the last one, how do you do this one?" It looks different, so it must be different, right?

I find the forum search difficult to use, so I search the site through Google, using the search string, for example:

site:cadtutor.net scaling

to restrict the search to CADTutor only.

I find the forum search difficult to use, so I search the site through Google, using the search string, for example:

site:cadtutor.net scaling

to restrict the search to CADTutor only.

But you are one of the experts and KNOW how to use a search engine to limit the return. : )

I am aware that this is a problem and I am trying to address it by planning for the future rather than putting a quick-fix in place. We have tried building an FAQ but it died for lack of interest/input and perhaps because it was the wrong format. A more open wiki-style area may work but there are other options I am considering. I am pretty sure we will not be staying with vBulletin. Forum software like IPB has far superior search functionality and other benefits for collaborative/community content. I am currently considering a move before the end of this year.

I am pretty sure we will not be staying with vBulletin. Forum software like IPB has far superior search functionality and other benefits for collaborative/community content. I am currently considering a move before the end of this year.

Wow - I've never heard of IPB before, but their software looks very interesting. The resource site has a plethora of information on customization (i.e., Skinning, etc.).

Please let us know if we may be of help with the transition, David. :beer: