Grid, limits, model space area, drawing scale

khoshravan

What is the advantage/usage of limits command?

I know it specify the area where could be filled with Grid command. But is it, its only usage? What other usage could be expected from "limits"?

If we want to make the paper space and model space same (draw in same scale, if we use 1/100 scale in metric system, 1 meter in model space is equal to 1 centimeter in paper space), is it a wise idea to set the model space into A4 or A3 paper size by use of LIMITS?

I want to hear opinion of those folks who use Grid. I think its utmost usage is in combination with "snap". Where you can quickly grab the points you want onscreen without need for coordinate input. Would be happy if there is other usage for GRID

Before, I thought limits will specify the area in model space where I can draw (limit the area of model space). But this is in contrary with the fact that model space is limitless and I can draw as far as I want.

It is really hard to understand that there is no limit for model space like real world.

I haven't understood these issues until I read many threads in CT. Now I have got most of them but I think I need some extra study to understand them 100%.

Edited by khoshravan
change title

as one of the few to use limits and grid I will try to answer.

Limits WAS used by AutoCAD as the area it held in memory. This was in the days of slow computers will little RAM. OOTB AutoCAD wouldn't let you draw outside of limits although you could change a variable to let it. It would only zoom to limits too. With today's computers there is no need to set limits although I do to limit the size of the grid.

I use grid with snap as I do mostly electrical drawings. It is far easier to draw from one item to the next knowing you are already in line than with any other method I know. Nearly every one here will tell you I am doing it wrong but I can't see what can be faster than joining the dots.

I do use a grid on mechanical drawings but much more to get a quick visual on how things are spaced. I don't let the grid or snap dictate the size of items.

I will leave the paper space scale bit to others as I only ever draw in model space and ALWAYS full size.

As for a limited real world - I just don't understand. If space is limitless, why shouldn't AutoCAD be too?

as one of the few to use limits and grid I will try to answer.

Limits WAS used by AutoCAD as the area it held in memory. This was in the days of slow computers will little RAM. OOTB AutoCAD wouldn't let you draw outside of limits although you could change a variable to let it. It would only zoom to limits too. With today's computers there is no need to set limits although I do to limit the size of the grid.

I use grid with snap as I do mostly electrical drawings. It is far easier to draw from one item to the next knowing you are already in line than with any other method I know. Nearly every one here will tell you I am doing it wrong but I can't see what can be faster than joining the dots.

I do use a grid on mechanical drawings but much more to get a quick visual on how things are spaced. I don't let the grid or snap dictate the size of items.

I will leave the paper space scale bit to others as I only ever draw in model space and ALWAYS full size.

As for a limited real world - I just don't understand. If space is limitless, why shouldn't AutoCAD be too?

Dear dbroada

Thanks. Your explanation on old and today's computers is new to me. Now it makes sense why limits was there and now sounds useless. BTW what id the meaning of OOTB?

Other issues is OK. I wonder if it could be possible to change the grid color, then it must be less confusing with points, and easier to use. I think there must be a command to control GRID's color. I searched option and customization but couldn't find.

Dear dbroada

Thanks. Your explanation on old and today's computers is new to me. Now it makes sense why limits was there and now sounds useless. BTW what id the meaning of OOTB?

Other issues is OK. I wonder if it could be possible to change the grid color, then it must be less confusing with points, and easier to use. I think there must be a command to control GRID's color. I searched option and customization but couldn't find.

OOTB = Out of the box means with out any custom routines or apps installed.

For the colors in the options under display, colors. See attached.

grid_colors.png

OOTB = Out of the box means with out any custom routines or apps installed.

Thanks for info. But the routine you mentioned below, isn't it a custom routine: tools/options/Drafting tab/color. So why do dbroada mentions it as OOTB? (Perhaps I should ask him).

For the colors in the options under display, colors. See attached.

That setting is for 3D. I am looking for 2D and couldn't find anything on 2D.

1) Out-Of-The-Box means the features and settings that are installed by default, ie before the user starts customizing/changing settings and installing add-ons

2) The same settings are available for the Grid in 2D modelspace and Sheet/Layout.

1) Out-Of-The-Box means the features and settings that are installed by default, ie before the user starts customizing/changing settings and installing add-ons

2) The same settings are available for the Grid in 2D modelspace and Sheet/Layout.

Thanks for first part.

Regarding the setting for GRID color I couldn't find anything in @d modelspace or Sheet/Layout.

1.jpg

Oh... apparently 2010 didn't have gridlines in 2D wireframe, thus no color options, my mistake.

If you want/need colored gridlines, you'll have to use 3D wireframe or one of the other 3D visual styles.

Thanks for first part.

Regarding the setting for GRID color I couldn't find anything in @d modelspace or Sheet/Layout.

The color for the layouts is controlled by the viewport properties, Visual style and shade plot. Just be aware that your video drivers/card and system may play a part in it displaying property.

sheet_colors.jpg