Problem scaling when plotting in Layout tab

19cruthik68

If I used millimeters as my UNITS, how can I scale them when plotting it into A1 or A0? How will I know the scale that I will use in Layout tab so that it will fit on the paper that I will used?a

Draw your model space objects full size. Switch to a paper space layout. Create a viewport. Viewports are like windows that allow us to see the objects we created back in model space. Click on the viewport frame and go to Properties and set the viewport scale. There are at least two other ways to set the scale of a viewport. Once you have the view of your model space objects set the way you want then lock the viewport display. Viewports should be created on their own layer and the layer set to "no print". Plotting is done from the layout at a scale of 1 unit = 1mm. AutoCAD will automatically scale the objects in your viewports based on the scale assigned to them. Use the Page Setup Manager to set your printer, the orientation, and your ctb or stb.

Thanks for the reply but i think i asked a wrong question.

What I mean is, if I printed out in A0 and I want to get the dimension using the triangular scale ruler?because the engineer wants me to do that.you get what i mean? So if I scale it in A0 and i am using the units as millimeter probably it will be exactly the same if i am going to use a triangular scale ruler to measure the print out drawing. i hope you get what i mean

It is not called a "ruler" it's called a "scale". Yes, I know what you mean. You want to print the drawing "to scale" so that you can take distances off of it directly.

Will you be printing from model space or a paper space layout?

Create a new paperspace sheet

Page Setup -> A0 (then when printing, print this 1:1, extents, do NOT 'fit to paper')

Setup a viewport on that sheet.

I don't normally use mm so could be wrong, although I think your custom scale to enter in the viewport properties pane will be of the form 1/$desiredScale

I.e. for 1:200, the custom scale when using mm as the drawing units would be 0.005.

(now that I think of it though, 1:200 isn't a standard scale on an architectural scale ruler I don't think, only on an engineering scale ruler)

I call it a scale ruler also myself :)

Dink87522,

I tried already the one you suggest, but it is not accurate when i measured it using the toblerone-shaped scale ruler in the printed out drawing. :(

Is ii only out by a few percent when you measure it with the scale ruler? If so, I'd guess the scale is setup correctly in Autocad, you are just not printing it to scale.

If you print 'Layout', scale 1:1 (assuming the A0 plot was defined in mm) does it work? I am assuming you are printing on an A0 sheet of paper.