Back, Front, Side and Top tutorial...

El1iP3S01D

Folks, i'm new and learning from lynda.com how to use AUTOCAD 2012. Ny question is this, Can you provide a tutorial on how to draw or create the back, front and top view after you draw or create the side view of you concept?

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• El1iP3S01D

• ReMark

• Cad64

• khoshravan

You are talking about views of objects that any good technical drawing book will cover in detail. So it doesn't matter if you are doing it on a drafting board/manually or using a computer/CAD it will be the same process.

I'd recommend you purchase a book like Technical Graphics Communication by Bertoline & Webe or do an Internet search.

You have drawn the side view of your object and want to create the other views. OK. Do you have the required dimensions to complete the other views? Do you have some idea of what the other sides look like? Do they have any holes in them? Do they have any angles? Are there any angles, chamfers, fillets or countersunk holes? Are there any unusual features like pins or intersecting cylinders?

There is one other approach to creating 2D views and that is to create your object in 3D then use any one of at least three different options offered by AutoCAD to extract the 2D views.

Edited by ReMark

There is one other approach to creating 2D views and that is to create your object in 3D then use any one of at least three different options offered by AutoCAD to extract the 2D views.

Sorry if this thread is old.

I have a question on the above-mention method. Is it possible to do it with ordinary AutoCAD 2010 or needs special one like Civil 3D?

khoshravan this is not an old thread mate, if you have a look at the blue bar at the top of each post it tells you when they were submitted.

To answer your question you should by all means be able to do this in AutoCAD 2010. One of the ways is to draw your object in 3D and use the different views to see the different faces of the object. There are probably neater ways of doing this but being a fairly new user that is what I would do

Extracting 2D views and see what appears to be a 2D view are two different things.

Yes, one could set up four views of a 3D object quite easily using MVIEW. In the U.S. the views would be: Top, Front, Right side and an Isometric.

To extract 2D views of a 3D object one could use any of three different methods. They are: SolView/SolDraw, Flatshot or SectionPlane. Each has its pros and cons. Newcomers to 3D should, in my opinion, be familiar with all three methods and choose what works best for them.

I couldn't find a video link in this reply.

on the left bar there are a list of Autocad tutorials. At the bottom of that list are video tutorials. I don't know if any pertain exactly to the OP.

Hi,

Mview and Mvsetup Method

I wonder if we can do projected views using Mview (Alias mv) with 4 views as expressed by ReMark. I have done a quick 3D Model and I would greatly appreciate knowing whether we can automate the process using Mview with option 4. In my case, I will double click within each views, change the view, pan and recenter manually, scale and pspace and go to the next one repeating the process all again and at the end of the day, visually I do have the top, side and front and isometric views but not fully and precisely aligned. Some of the views may need to be rotated. I can surely use Mvsetup to align the view horizontally and vertically but I doubt this is the best method with each time (at least in my case) having to set up the grip setting each time mvsetup goes into model space.

Using 2012 Drawing View

With Drawing Views, you can use Projected Views with ease. However I have much difficulty in dimensioning endpoints.

Attached is the same 3D model with the two methods used.

Regards,

Nicolas.

Using Mview x4 manually placing views.pdf

Using Drawing View.pdf

Extracting 2D views and see what appears to be a 2D view are two different things.

Yes, one could set up four views of a 3D object quite easily using MVIEW. In the U.S. the views would be: Top, Front, Right side and an Isometric.

To extract 2D views of a 3D object one could use any of three different methods. They are: SolView/SolDraw, Flatshot or SectionPlane. Each has its pros and cons. Newcomers to 3D should, in my opinion, be familiar with all three methods and choose what works best for them.

With 2012 there are 4 methods, with viewbase being added. I would recommend that option over the others for several reasons, one being they update as the model changes.

Thank you folks, from remark to rkent... I've finally figured it out how to setup four views....The problems i think it will take me a year to learn AUTOCAD, because i just finished trying to draw a rectangle on the right view in 2d wireframe and the rectangle didn't appear in the other views... So, i give up, if there is a book for beginners that you could recommend for Autocad 2012 let me so that i can learn it and model the car i'm trying to put in the game? the name of the car is Lamborghini Insecta. If you witnessed the car, you could can see how the views are different sizes and out of proportion...I'm simply trying to create and outline of it and size it where they all match and i can model the car for the game....

if there is a book for beginners that you could recommend for Autocad 2012 let me so that i can learn it and model the car i'm trying to put in the game? the name of the car is Lamborghini Insecta. If you witnessed the car, you could can see how the views are different sizes and out of proportion...I'm simply trying to create and outline of it and size it where they all match and i can model the car for the game....

Why are you using Autocad to create assets for a game? You're using the wrong tool for the job. You should be using 3DS Max or Maya.

What game are you creating the model for?

Cad64, for NFS Shift 1 for PC. Cad64, maybe i didn't express my question correctly; Does not AUTOCAD 2012 show what ever you are creating in all 4 view? That is why i choose AUTOCAD 2012...

The geometry you are creating in one view may not be showing in the other view portss because the objects are "outside" of the other view ports limits.

Click into one of the other views, then do a zoom all. Keep in mind that depending on your viewpoint a rectangle (or circle, etc.) in one view might appear as simply a single line in another.

Folks, i just want to know what book teaches how to draw back, front, side and top view of an outline of a car? The dimensions of my concept car is Length is 185.7 Height is 44.9 Width is 78.7, thanks for reading...

So you're trying to draw this in Autocad without any reference? My advice would be to draw it out by hand on paper. You can find car images at this website: http://www.the-blueprints.com/ that you can use as reference for drawing your car. Just find one that's close to what you are designing, print out the images and then lay a piece of tracing paper over it and draw your design. Then scan your drawing and insert it into your 3D program to use as reference for building your model.

And here's a training DVD that you might be interested in: http://www.thegnomonworkshop.com/store/product/325/How-to-Draw-Cars