Horizontal lines in interior render?

ironman

I am doing an interior render, and there are all these horizontal lines on the walls and floors...I am using 3ds max 2009 and rendering in mental ray. The material on the walls is architectural flat paint. I am using mental ray shadow maps on photometric lights.

Sampling quality doesnt make a difference.

Floor material doesnt make a difference.

Anyone have any idea how to get rid of this?

horiz lines in render.jpg

All the walls have UVW map modifiers...

I just switched the shadows on the lights from mental ray shadow map to advanced ray traced, and that worked...for now...not sure if this is the correct solution...

First is advanced ray traced, second is mental ray shadow mapped...

advanced ray traced.jpg

mental ray shadow mapped.jpg

• 2 months later...

i believe ray trace is the appropriate thing to use..

UVW map is used when it is out of scale.. and well the wall is a solid color.. so there wouldn't be much issue there.. but EVERY object should have a UVW map of some sort. even the solid color objects. dont forget about global illumination

Try googling "Woo AND Bias 3DS Max", I was reading about the problem I think that could be causing your problem yesterday in the book that pops up by Boaz Livny.

This subject is a bit new to me but I think you can change the shadow algorithm to prevent these 'self shadowing artifacts'. I hope the google book preview allows you to view the correct pages, best buy it if you want to fill in all the gaps left by most of the other mental ray books on the market.