Adding data/ properties to points

swimwsr

I have autocad 2012 and i am trying to add data to existing points. I have over 300 cogo points that need custom properties added, such as top elevation/bottom elevation/classification code. I trid to add the properties using the user-defined property classifaction tool, but then would I have to insert all the data by hand?

I know there is a way i can attach the data from an excel sheet to cogo points, but AutoCAD 2012 help service stinks and i cant figure it out.

Any ideas? thanks

I have 2012 civil 3d/ map. I have used object data before, but never from an outside source. (I have only needed to use default value) i do not know how to link the excel or access file to the object data so that i do not have to enter it in for all 300 points. I have tried useing the data link tool, but never could attach everything correctly. I have never used XData, i will look into that.

I have 2012 civil 3d/ map. I have used object data before, but never from an outside source. (I have only needed to use default value) i do not know how to link the excel or access file to the object data so that i do not have to enter it in for all 300 points. I have tried useing the data link tool, but never could attach everything correctly. I have never used XData, i will look into that.

What data is in the excel file? If it has the X,Y &Z coordinates along with the inverts just import the points as Civil3D points. Look in the tutorials for points inports in Civil3D. Also post in the Civil3D forum for more help on it.

yea sorry about not being specific.

I have tried to import the points, however, I cannot figure out how to add extra information to the points. I need to attach labels that will show not only the northing, easting, elevation, and label description, but also other misc info such as depth, classification code, etc.

I have even tried to insert this data as user-defined properties then export it to a file to figure out the format, but it did not show up. How do i insert this information and what type of file should i import it as?