Using Revit Architecture for Shop Drawing

nicolas

Hi

I wonder whether it is possible to use Revit Architecture for Shop Drawing i.e Doors and Windows. I have a library of metallic sections in 1:1 and construction details. I want to use those to automatically generate elevation and sectional views of windows, doors, fanlights, fixed partition and so on using a CAD Software. I will like to know if Revit Architecture is appropriate for such a job and if this is not the case what type of application is most suited for such tasks. The shop drawing are on 2D level.

Regards,

Nicolas.

Creating shop drawings would be better suited for either vanilla AutoCAD, Inventor or SolidWorks. Revit isn't really designed for that sort of use, at least that I'm aware of.

You can do it if you've set up the families and drawn all the components of those families. It's clunky to do, but you can make it work if you put the effort in it up front to create all the pieces and parts you need to make the details. You can add them as you go along, but it's annoying to have to stop and go create or add to a family. For instance, lets say you need a custom aluminum channel for a curtain wall detail. You can't simply draw it in or insert it as a block as you would in Autocad, you have to put it in a family, then load that family into the drawing and pick the one you need. The good news is that after you do it once, it's always there to use again if needed. Just take care in how you organize everything.

If you do mostly custom work where nearly every piece will have its own part drawing, Revit will drive you insane. Stick with AutoCAD or Inventor for that sort of thing.

What I'm looking for is a sort of Marvin Door System software where the user types in/choose the type of openings (door, windows, fanlight, fixed, inward, outward, double-leaf, sliding...), the thickness of the glazing (6mm Clear, 8mm frosted...), the dimension and the elevation and sections are automatically drawn with Marvin Door System Aluminum Section in the case of MDS. However, I'm looking for the same based on family programming in Revit but with the ability for me to inject my own profile be it Aluminum, Metal or Timber. We are always using the same profiles, the same constructions and the changes are but in terms of glazing, filling, dimensions and different types of combinations. I want to know if Revit is suited for such job even if its complex? If this is not the case, what application or combination of application is most suited for the job?

Regards,

Nicolas.

What I'm looking for is a sort of Marvin Door System software where the user types in/choose the type of openings (door, windows, fanlight, fixed, inward, outward, double-leaf, sliding...), the thickness of the glazing (6mm Clear, 8mm frosted...), the dimension and the elevation and sections are automatically drawn with Marvin Door System Aluminum Section in the case of MDS. However, I'm looking for the same based on family programming in Revit but with the ability for me to inject my own profile be it Aluminum, Metal or Timber. We are always using the same profiles, the same constructions and the changes are but in terms of glazing, filling, dimensions and different types of combinations. I want to know if Revit is suited for such job even if its complex? If this is not the case, what application or combination of application is most suited for the job?

Regards,

Nicolas.

Revit would be great for that. It lends itself very well to using the same conditions. You can get Marvin's libraries as SuperCAD suggests, and build a family of common surrounding details. As I said, it will take some effort in the beginning to get it set up and refined like you want, but once in place it will work. Surrounds will be point and click just like doors or windows when you get them done.