AutoCAD MEP 2010: OSNAP was "ON" but not working

gsf

I am so glad there is a beginner's area where I do not feel so foolish. I am not CAD proficient, but I am trying to learn to use it as an electrical contractor. oh

AutoCAD MEP 2010 64 bit

WIN 7 64

OSNAP stopped working but it says it is on. (I clicked the icon on and off and the command line would say "osnap on, osnap off). I ended up "fixing" the installation through the "Programs and Features" window. I was going to uninstall and then reinstall, but it gave me the option to repair and now OSNAP is working again.

I would like to know if there is something I an do within MEP next time.

My guess would be the following (I've never used MEP so could be totally wrong :)):

Right click on the osnap button down the bottom of the screen and select 'Settings' or something similar to that effect. In there you have the option to choose which osnaps (out of about a dozen or so) are turned on and which are off when osnaps overall are on. I'd suggest turning all the osnaps in there on by ticking the checkboxes.

Sounds like you exited out of a command and it did not reset your OSNAPs.

The beginners forum is for AutoCAD beginners, MEP questions should go in the MEP. No need to feel foolish, we have all been there.

I have relocated your thread to the MEP forum. :thumbsup:

I am so glad there is a beginner's area where I do not feel so foolish. I am not CAD proficient, but I am trying to learn to use it as an electrical contractor. oh

AutoCAD MEP 2010 64 bit

WIN 7 64

OSNAP stopped working but it says it is on. (I clicked the icon on and off and the command line would say "osnap on, osnap off). I ended up "fixing" the installation through the "Programs and Features" window. I was going to uninstall and then reinstall, but it gave me the option to repair and now OSNAP is working again.

I would like to know if there is something I an do within MEP next time.

There are two different types of Object Snapping in AutoCAD MEP, you have the traditional OSNAPS for normal AutoCAD entities, then you have the MEP Snaps for the AEC Objects. Typing OS at the command line brings up the dialog that handles both sets of OSNAP parameters. If there's still an issue, make sure you're not loading a custom routine that is changing the OSMODE system variable.

something else that I run into alot is if you are doing something near or above a 3D solid (for instance in wireframe you might forget there is a slab under your equipment) your snaps will not work (properly) so you either freeze/hide the slab or move it away then move it back.