AutoCAD Drawing Area - what color do you use?

CADTutor

What color is your AutoCAD drawing area?  

238 members have voted

1. 1. What color is your AutoCAD drawing area?

• Black (the original)
    • White (a common choice)
    • Cream (the default up to 2010)
    • Dark Blue-Grey (the current default)
    • Any other color... (tell us which color you use)

Ohh! Forgot to mention, that this custom 'visual feedback' can be applied to any aspect of AutoCAD that the user can colorize... Background color, etc., say you wanted your crosshairs to remain static.

Cheers

I can go into to my display manager and/or display properties and change colors of any line, linetype, display detail, hatch, object....etc depending on the view, orientation etc.......endless possibilities

I can cut into any wall or objects and make any thing into any color and/or linetype. Color isn't a care if you are dealing with hundreds of colors...only in presentation

Edited by Currahee
Should have said objects

I can go into to my display properties and change colors of any line, linetype, display detail, hatch, object....etc....endless possibilities

I can cut into any wall and make any object into any color and/or linetype. Color isn't a care if you are dealing with hundreds of colors...only in presentation

I suspect you've not even understood what I posted about, before rattling off that 'that's old technology', as you seem to be confusing Layers, Linetypes, and Entities, with AutoCAD's PreferencesDisplay Object (that thingy that gets changed when you open Options, Display tab, Colors...)... Especially since no version of AutoCAD available including 2014 has this functionality built-in. Just saying.

Further, the point of my post was to offer functionality that allows for a user's crosshair color preference(s) to be applied automagically without the need to manually open Options, Display tab, Colors... each-and-every-time the user switches to another tab, or document, by (currently) employing a thoughtful contingent of Command, and DocManager Reactors, so that these changes are near instantaneous via Event-driven code... Which will only further be enhanced when I finish porting this application to the .NET API (.NET Event handlers are not only more robust, but also faster than those available to the Visual LISP API).

I hope this helps make (more?) sense to you now. :thumbsup:

Although your interface looks very intuitive and can be done "live", I think Mr. Curahee's point is that those colors for visual cues can be set up in options.

(Never mind.)

Edited by RobDraw
Mr. Box posted while I was typing.

Stating your opinions as facts and insults will get you into trouble someday. Luckily others here are more tolerant than I am. Personally, your future posts will be looked at very closely before I can accept anything you say as good advice.

Did I insult anyone?

Sheesh.

OK, I'll go away then.

.......Especially since no version of AutoCAD available including 2014 has this functionality built-in. Just saying.....

Actually....some form come out in ADT3.3 or 2004....I think...maybe '04 cant remember when they started with Display Manager....been a long time

Actually....some form come out in ADT3.3 or 2004....I think...maybe '04 cant remember when they started with Display Manager....been a long time

I cant remember when the full fledge DM come out....I think '06....thats when I began to hate it...then began to love it

Although your interface looks very intuitive and can be done "live", I think Mr. Curahee's point is that those colors for visual cues can be set up in options.

(Never mind.)

Yes and in different circumstance

I can give you a 10,000 list of people to listen to on this page. Usually EVERYONE is right. There is no one better to answer your questions than on this board. Don't be discouraged by a few having a difference of opinion. Usually you will find truth in both. You probably wont find much comment from me as far as advice fro generic AutoCAD, but I know Architecture and construction front to rear. Usually when it comes to AutoCAD commands, shortcuts, etc...I will let more advanced brothers handle it...not because they know more than I(which they usually do) but I love answering questions about Autodesk Architecture or the earliear ADT...that is my strong suite.

Please dont take this little exchange(as I can see as your number of post you know your way around and you know who to trust)

Thank you for your post!!

Call me Mr. Sensitive but I found the comments that about my preferred background color as being archaic and a result of technological limitation insulting and the "tongue in cheek" comment about a parallel bar on the monitor was pretty close to insulting, too.

Call me Mr. Sensitive but I found the comments that about my preferred background color as being archaic and a result of technological limitation insulting and the "tongue in cheek" comment about a parallel bar on the monitor was pretty close to insulting, too.

Well...I once posted a picture of my new input devices....and "they" my friends (and they REALLY) are... ripped me a new one for having T-Squares on my drafting table....what makes me money........they dont have in their pocket...LOL

[backOnTopic]

At the risk of spoiling an upcoming project release o:)....

I coded a small application a couple of years ago, which allows me to select a color for each Model, Paper, and PViewport Active... What this does for me, is allow me to visually determine what space I am in, based on the color of my crosshairs (without the need to glance elsewhere on the screen to determine same).

I call this application XCOLOR...

Let me know when you release this, I was looking recently for a native way to change the cursor color depending on what space I was in, so this sounds great.

Actually....since ADT3.3 or 2004....I think...maybe '04 cant remember when they started with Display Manager....been a long time

Respectfully, you seem to be utterly confused about the difference(s) between the Display Manager (an ObjectARX application which manages the display properties of Entities), with that of AutoCAD's PreferencesDisplay Object, which applies to all AutoCAD-based products, and is responsible for myriad Application (not entity) display settings, such as Background Color, Command Line Colors, Crosshairs Colors, etc. amongst many others.

Let me know when you release this, I was looking recently for a native way to change the cursor color depending on what space I was in, so this sounds great.

That is kind of you to say; I would be happy to, and will do so... In another thread. :beer:

Its called Agriculture on Steroids...LOL (Well I haven't tried "Cursor" color in different views....let me try that....hold on..........) I will have to go to my CAD Machine to do that...

Its called Agriculture on Steroids...LOL (Well I haven't tried "Cursor" color in different views....let me try that....hold on..........) I will have to go to my CAD Machine to do that...

It can be done in the same drawing of a different view as well as 3d Perspective and 3D Parallel but not in the same drawing within the same name....as far as I can see

I've yet to see a post stating 'Fluorescent Pink'. :lol:

Hey that's my main color for "dim". .....really it is

That is the color shirt I have on today...hot-pink. If any man wants to say anything about it....well, ....I love Pink

I have used this forum as a source for fixing minor issues for some time.

I decided to join, but now I am regretting that decision.