Mechanical Drafting Symbols

Tankman

Been drafting plumbing layouts, years.

Now, trying a few mechanical *.dwg drawings. Does anyone have a source for "free" drafting symbol blocks?

Looked, fruitless search. Guess I could make 'em as I go, as required but,

would be so nice to download a bunch to get out-of-the-gate runnin'.

TANKS! 8)

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Tankman

• Jack_O'neill

• Dana W

• ReMark

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Can you name a couple of representative symbols that you are looking for?

How deep the bore is, horiz line with vert line down & arrow, parallel, machining "stuff."

Used the symbols on the board but, not in AutoCAD.

Guess I could build a library if this work is on-going.

Aren't some of those symbols part of a font? I vaguely recall a thread that touched upon that very subject.

I was thinking "alt key combinations", didn't look too far but, didn't see any. Yet.

So we're talking about: countersink, depth, bore, radius, spotface and diameter for example. Right?

OK...had another cup of coffee so the old noodle is synapsing away like a locomotive. I believe the font you are looking for is GDT.SHX. Take a look.

When I get some time I will look and see what I have. :thumbsup:

Did you check out Design Center? They have a few samples in Local Drive/Program Files/Autodesk/AutoCADXXXX/Sample/Mechanical Sample

Correct me if I am wrong but when one uses the word "mechanical" they are referring to HVAC right?

That is a common usage, but mechanical drawing also refers to tool and die and manufacturing and that sort of stuff too.

I have to wear all the hats here, so sometimes the lines are fuzzy for drafting.

I always lump piping in with mechanical, usually when looking for symbols, the valves etc.will be in the Mechanical files, so I guess that's where the association comes in.

Then you have the confusion created by AutoCAD Mechanical and Inventor, so technically that would be mechanical drafting.

Here is the US Gubernment definitions.

Drafting work has many specialties; the most common types of drafters are the following:

Aeronautical drafters prepare engineering drawings that detail plans and specifications used in the manufacture of aircraft, missiles, and related parts.

Architectural drafters draw architectural and structural features of buildings for new construction projects. These workers may specialize in a type of building, such as residential or commercial, or in a kind of material used, such as reinforced concrete, masonry, steel, or timber.

Civil drafters prepare drawings and topographical and relief maps used in major construction or civil engineering projects, such as highways, bridges, pipelines, flood-control projects, and water and sewage systems.

Electrical drafters prepare wiring and layout diagrams used by workers who erect, install, and repair electrical equipment and wiring in communication centers, power plants, electrical distribution systems, and buildings.

Electronics drafters draw wiring diagrams, circuit board assembly diagrams, schematics, and layout drawings used in the manufacture, installation, and repair of electronic devices and components.

Mechanical drafters prepare drawings showing the detail and method of assembly of a wide variety of machinery and mechanical devices, indicating dimensions, fastening methods, and other requirements.

Process piping or pipeline drafters prepare drawings used in the layout, construction, and operation of oil and gas fields, refineries, chemical plants, and process piping systems.

That is a common usage' date=' but mechanical drawing also refers to tool and die and manufacturing and that sort of stuff too.[/quote']

Right on Jack, tool 'n die manufacturing. Going to do some *.dxf drawings, machined close tolerance parts.

Right on Jack, tool 'n die manufacturing. Going to do some *.dxf drawings, machined close tolerance parts.

That's where I got started in CAD. Was working for a company that fabricated copper tubing for the a/c and refrigeration industries. We designed and build all of our own tubing and a number of our own machines. It's amazing some of the things you can to to a piece of copper tubing.

Have you checked out that font yet?

Will check the font (gdt.shx) when I returned to Eastern PA, tonight or tomorrow.

Visiting a job site in Harrisburg at the time, lousy weather, unlike the past few days. Oh well, ya get what you get.

**Interesting font but, no cigar. One drafting symbol means "deep", like a T and small v, looks like this.**

113393_AccuSort_Art.jpg

Edited by Tankman

I have to wear all the hats here, so sometimes the lines are fuzzy for drafting.

I always lump piping in with mechanical, usually when looking for symbols, the valves etc.will be in the Mechanical files, so I guess that's where the association comes in.

Then you have the confusion created by AutoCAD Mechanical and Inventor, so technically that would be mechanical drafting.

Here is the US Gubernment definitions.

The structural part of the architectural drafts person description would be better suited in the civil draftsperson description it seems to me.

Will check the font (gdt.shx) when I returned to Eastern PA, tonight or tomorrow.

Visiting a job site in Harrisburg at the time, lousy weather, unlike the past few days. Oh well, ya get what you get.

**Interesting font but, no cigar. One drafting symbol means "deep", like a T and small v, looks like this.**

[ATTACH=CONFIG]30555[/ATTACH]

I haven't seen anybody use those symbols in years and years. If I were to call that out on something, I'd use a leader with this note:

DR. 0.070 DIA (#50)~0.200 DP.

TAP 2-56 UNC -3B~0.172 DP.

Keep in mind, you might be able to measure the drill depth to 3 decimal places, but its gonna be next to impossible to control the tapped depth that accurately.

What in the world are you putting those little tiny screws in anyway? I always hated working with those.

I haven't seen anybody use those symbols in years and years. If I were to call that out on something' date=' I'd use a leader with this note:

DR. 0.070 DIA (#50)~0.200 DP.

TAP 2-56 UNC -3B~0.172 DP.

Keep in mind, you might be able to measure the drill depth to 3 decimal places, but its gonna be next to impossible to control the tapped depth that accurately.

What in the world are you putting those little tiny screws in anyway? I always hated working with those.[/quote']

ASME still uses those symbols, I would use those rather than the notes. And if using ASME GD&T that is the only option.

Jack the tiny screws holding very small circuit boards in small bored aluminum boxes.

"The answer to any question is an easy one, "buy a modern CAD program". All it takes is $5,000 US and a few months training and you can do what you ask. And tell your boss the deadline can wait."

And, be happy to pay another $1500 per seat for support. Isn't it all good?