A Problem with Parts of Standard Details

Billy Bob

Hi, the place I work at has (over the years) produced a number of standard structural details, made up of an number of blocks & dynamic blocks. Some of these blocks have been rotated, stretched, etc. When I copy, highlight and drag or "CO" the image in to an other drawing the blocks revert back to the original length or un-rotate, etc. I have to: re-rotate/re-stretch/etc the altered blocks, how can I solve this problem.

Cheers

Billy Bob

My first instinct would be to explode the blocks before copying them, then paste the whole detail as one large block. Another possibility is to create a template that contains the details so you don't have to copy them.

Hi, the place I work at has (over the years) produced a number of standard structural details, made up of an number of blocks & dynamic blocks. Some of these blocks have been rotated, stretched, etc. When I copy, highlight and drag or "CO" the image in to an other drawing the blocks revert back to the original length or un-rotate, etc. I have to: re-rotate/re-stretch/etc the altered blocks, how can I solve this problem.

Cheers

Billy Bob

Couple of questions for you...are you starting out with a blank template, or working on a drawing that already exists?

The reason I ask is that the most common cause of seeing a block change when you drop it in is because there is already a block with that name in the drawing, and the one that's already there will be the one that gets inserted. In other words, lets say you are working on xyz.dwg and it already has a block definition called 123. If you go find another block called 123, even if it's completely different from the original, autocad will insert the 123 that it already knows. If you rename the new block before you insert it, as long as its a unique name, you'll get the new one.

Have you checked to see if the blocks and or drawing you are working in are drawn at the same scale? I used to work for a place that had a bunch of 3/8 scale part drawings, and they had a habit of doing details at 1/2 scale. Only once in a while, someone would forget to make sure they scaled the 3/8 part drawing correctly when they inserted it in the 1/2 scale detail and things would go very wrong down line from there. Why they just didn't draw at 1:1 and plot to a scale I'll never know, but thats how they did it, and there were literally 10's of thousands of parts in their library done this way. I wasn't about to volunteer to fix them!