Is Revit suitable for smaller stuff

DODGE

Hi Guys

I am thinking about making the move to Revit Architectural and wanted to ask a couple of questions from people that use it. Most of the work I do, in fact virtually all the work I do is interior stuff. Offices, Bathrooms, Kitchens etc etc. I am finding that I need quick elevations and perspectives more and more, in AutoCad that’s not so quick.

Can you tell me if Revit Architecture would be suitable for the smaller stuff like interiors, I do a lot of kitchens for instance. It would be great to layout a kitchen plan, and then have the elevatons and perspectives done for you, so to speak. I have tried a trial ver of Revit it and it seems quite a powerful program, maybe too powerful for me, there would probably be a lot of features I would never use. I guess that’s the same with AutoCad though, any help guys?

Dodge 8)

Well I am not sure but you are in luck as AutoDesk has a new product that they have released called Project Spark that is basically Revit LT. It is free till next summer and you can use it all you want till then. It is a scaled down version of Revit.

http://labs.autodesk.com/utilities/spark/

I myself think that all you need is a nice CAD program and SketchUp. To me this would give me more freedom that what Revit could/would allow. To import and export DWG files to and from SketchUp you will need the pro version or a CAD program that allows SKP files to be imported.

Bring the floorplan into SU and then built up the wall needed say for a kitchen design. Place the windows and needed doors. Add cabinets and then go to a flat 2D elev and export that dwg and then open in CAD for annotation and dims.

Hi Guys

I am thinking about making the move to Revit Architectural and wanted to ask a couple of questions from people that use it. Most of the work I do, in fact virtually all the work I do is interior stuff. Offices, Bathrooms, Kitchens etc etc. I am finding that I need quick elevations and perspectives more and more, in AutoCad that’s not so quick.

Can you tell me if Revit Architecture would be suitable for the smaller stuff like interiors, I do a lot of kitchens for instance. It would be great to layout a kitchen plan, and then have the elevatons and perspectives done for you, so to speak. I have tried a trial ver of Revit it and it seems quite a powerful program, maybe too powerful for me, there would probably be a lot of features I would never use. I guess that’s the same with AutoCad though, any help guys?

Dodge 8)

Revit isn't "too powerful" you just need to learn what you will mostly use it for. It might be "too expensive" for what you'll be using it for, however, which is all relative.

Build up your library of common components (aka "Families") you use a lot, and you'll be all set. The rest is simply fine tuning your methods and procedures inside the program, which you will gain the speed you're after in time of steady use.

I bought Revit 2009 just before they stopped offering it thinking that I would offer it to customers that had been inquiring if I had it. Turns out most of them were just fishing and weren't really ready to run with it yet. I find myself now using it much the way you describe. You can whip out a floor plan in no time and if you are trying to help a customer make up his mind about an assortment of options you man make changes quickly and export them to autocad for detailing. You can bring a small house to life very quickly with it. As Tannar suggests it may be pricey for using it that way, but since I already purchased it, at least its making back some of it's expense in saved labor.

Thanks for the feed back guys.

I think I will keep on with the trial ver, I have a couple of weeks left.

I sent an email to an Architect that had posted some Revit Tutorials on Utube.

He said in those that they use it for big stuff and really amall projects.

Just a quick one for Jack, why do you say, you can export the drawings to AutoCad?

Is there any need to do that? I tend to prefer to just stay with the one program.

Are we saying that Revit is not good for the fine detailing or dimensioning?

Anyway guys, thanks for this help.

Dodge

I don't really have any experience to speak of with Revit, but take a look (if you haven't already) at the "Learning Revit 2011" tutorial that you can find here on CADTutor - it goes throught a sample project that seems very similar to the sort of stuff you are doing

Thanks for the feed back guys.

I think I will keep on with the trial ver, I have a couple of weeks left.

I sent an email to an Architect that had posted some Revit Tutorials on Utube.

He said in those that they use it for big stuff and really amall projects.

Just a quick one for Jack, why do you say, you can export the drawings to AutoCad?

Is there any need to do that? I tend to prefer to just stay with the one program.

Are we saying that Revit is not good for the fine detailing or dimensioning?

Anyway guys, thanks for this help.

Dodge

Most of the folks that I work for can't read Revit files, and one of them is even all the way back to 2004. I have to turn them into Autocad files so my customers can use them. I very seldom if ever send out paper drawings these days.

The tutorials with Project Spark are good as well. They should work with Revit as they are pretty close to each other. I learned a lot from them myself. I do need to run the ones here though.

I've used Revit for things from 400sqft tenant space conversions (Arch) to 5-level hospitals (Arch/MEP/Struct). I also know AutoCAD very well (been doing that forever, it seems).

My preference, once I learned it, has been Revit for anything large or small. It's just so much easier to visualize what you're doing in a couple clicks. Want to make sure that wall isn't too tall? Hit "3D" on my keyboard (custom mapping) and see how it looks in my 3D view. "3C" for a 3D camera perspective. It's just fast and simple.

I agree. The beauty of Revit is "Views". It's so simple, but so genius at the same time. AutoCAD just simply cannot recreate this functionality as good as Revit - ever. It's crazy that they're even trying with the "Vertical Products". Boggles my mind.... lol