Saving old revisions

bgietzen

I need help. Here at work we have multiple files, each file may consist of anywhere from 1-15 revisions thus far. My question is, does anyone know if there is a way to have all my revisions under (1) dwg. Im not talking about file management. Im saying instead of having for example: Part Number 111111 ("todays date").dwg and constantly updated it and saving off that file. have one main part number and having all your revisions within that part number????? please help. Do I need a newer version of CAD or what???

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bgietzen

• ReMark

• RocketSurgeon

• Jack_O'neill

Top Posters In This Topic

What is the end goal you are trying to achieve by doing this?

Can you achieve this by utilizing different tabs/layouts? Either copy the information over to another layout or xref the information in.

Here, we keep all our revs in the same folder rather than the same file. We then name the file 111111.r1.dwg and 111111.r2.dwg (revisions 1 and 2 respectively).

Is there a drawback to keeping all revisions in one drawing but using separate layouts to track them?

How many revisions could a part end up having? Two, three, dozens, more?

What is the end goal you are trying to achieve by doing this?

Can you achieve this by utilizing different tabs/layouts? Either copy the information over to another layout or xref the information in.

Here, we keep all our revs in the same folder rather than the same file. We then name the file 111111.r1.dwg and 111111.r2.dwg (revisions 1 and 2 respectively).

We use our old revisions for "in the field" machines. (Wiring Schematics) so if someone calls me and says I have a machine here with your equipment on it and they need some help I have to go to the old revisions folder open up the old file. Now the problem comes in that the reason for the revision is that something was faulty so now I have to update there equipment over the phone. If I could just quickly tab over to the Current drawing - back and forth that would be perfect. Also we have Thousands of part numbers. and on top of that, tens of thousands of old revisions. but we have to keep them.

So here is the main thing I want. You know in Microsoft Excel you have tabs. This way I can open one file (not have to worry about production opening the old file) one file- part number 123 and it have all my revisions within.

Tens of thousands of revisions. Not for one drawing?

Yes, you could have one drawing and each drawing would have a tab for each revision. No need for a separate dwg file for each revision.

I think AutoCAD could have an unlimited number of layouts but for display purposes you might be limited to 255. Not 100% sure. I'd have to check.

I wonder what kind of performance hit you'd see having more than 255 layouts in a single drawing file?

Im sorry but I dont know how to use layouts. I only use the model tab, and my production people use dwg viewer so it has to be easy. I also can not do this through layers because I have multiple Layers being used within the drawing. so moving it to another layer would remove my colors from my drawing. (here is how I do this - I have a layer for "parts" (connectors and and such) I have multiple layers for different wire colors - positive voltage wires get red layer. I dont think that the original draftsmen started it correctly but I cant change that so I have to go from present)

So how does vault work? (reMark)

by the way thanks everyone! I hope to get a solution.

no, tens of thousands for all our files. but a normal dwg would have at least 5 revisions. So how do I use the tabs? Im not sure how to set that up. Are we talking about the model tab?/ Layouts?

No I dont. but isnt a layout - only a layout of the model.

you can have several models (rev A, rev B, and rev C) in model space. You can quickly tab between each through layouts.

As mentioned above you could have several copies of your drawing sitting over in model space and a layout (with your title block and border) keyed to each revision.

As you are doing it now I gather your drawing is done entirely in model space and includes your title block, border, and notes as well. Is that correct?

That is correct. I have created a custom title block. Yeah the whole thing for doing it now is I have had enough of this half a** way of doing this.

Normally if one uses a layout that is where they would put their title block, border and any notes. All the other drawing objects, text and dimensions would be back in model space. One can view those objects by creating a viewport in modelspace. A viewport is a window that allows us to see the objects we created back in model space. Viewports can be sized, moved, rotated, scaled and locked.

I know, like I said earlier, when I got this job they were using CAD so loosely. no where near its potential but trying to update all the old and reteach everyone is a trick.

Right now Model is the only thing we use. We have a titleblock that we created here and just copy it in to the drawing and scale it to fit the drawing. there is no real rhyme or reason to what size print we use. its just what the different people in production can see. the younger ones will use a "A" size and some of the older guys might need a "C" size.

I know, like I said earlier, when I got this job they were using CAD so loosely. no where near its potential but trying to update all the old and reteach everyone is a trick.

Right now Model is the only thing we use. We have a titleblock that we created here and just copy it in to the drawing and scale it to fit the drawing. there is no real rhyme or reason to what size print we use. its just what the different people in production can see. the younger ones will use a "A" size and some of the older guys might need a "C" size.

once you place your title block in paper space, it can remain the same, and some consistency can begin to take place.

ok so how do I do this - title block into paper space that is.

I may not be the one to teach specifics.

click on Layout 1. right click to reach page set-up manager and modify paper size. Insert title block (scaling if necessary) in paperspace. Type MV and choose F for fit.