Saving old revisions

bgietzen

Here is a sample drawing to look at, that uses a generic titleblock from the tutorials in 2010. I created 3 layouts, and then put some geometry on the screen so you could see what's going on. The rectangles in model space are the same size as the viewport in paperspace. And in case the terminology is confusing you, layout tabs and paper space are the same thing.

To get it straight in your mind which is which, pick some object on your desk, a stapler for instance. Set it out where you can see it. This is a model and you are viewing it in model space. Hold a piece of paper up in front of it...you can't see it now, right? You are in paperspace. Now cut a hole in the paper and look at the stapler through the hole. You've just made a viewport. If you change the distance from the paper to the stapler, you are changing the zoom level. Using the vports command on a layout tab does the same thing. To zoom in the viewport, double click inside it. To get back to paper space, double click outside the viewport or type PS at the command line.

It's a little confusing at first, but once you get the hang of it, you'll like it I think.

LAYOUT EXAMPLE.dwg

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bgietzen

• ReMark

• RocketSurgeon

• Jack_O'neill

Top Posters In This Topic

Open a drawing. Go to Layout1. Right-click on the tab and select Page Setup Manager. Now modify it for your printer/plotter, paper size, plot style, etc. Click on the OK button.

Once you are back in your layout you may see a viewport already. You can use it or delete it and set up your own (maybe you want multiple viewports).

Whatever way you pick I'd suggest making a dedicated layer (with a distinctive color) for your viewport (call it Vports or something similar) and set it to "no print" (if that is an option in 2005). If not, then every time you print you should either turn off or freeze. the layer. Use the MView command to create your viewports.

You're going to put your title block and border on the layout at their normal size. Plot from a layout at 1:1 scale. Viewports, as previously mentioned, can be assigned a scale to make objects appear bigger/smaller. It does not directly affect the actual scale of objects back in model space. This allows us to draw objects as different in size as a pin head to a 777 Dreamliner and still fit them on on plotted sheet at a scale that is readable.

Im sorry, I had to go see a customer yesterday. Yes I have tried all this and wow, that makes a huge difference. Thank you so much. The only thing now is how do I import my Custom Title block to that view port (layout tab)??? and get it to be the standard each time, for each drawing ?

I thought we covered this.

Your title block and border are not in the viewport. They belong in the layout itself. You can insert it like a block.

Im sorry I have not understood that. I just need a little help to work through it. Ok - lets start with a new drawing:

I draw my part in model space. Im ready to print it.

I go to Layout 1 - rename it to whatever I choose.

Now from here what or how do I get my title block into there as a block - so I can still edit the text for Part numbers and dates?

attached is my title block - maybe I havent created that correctly? Not sure???

A-SIZE.dwg

I realize that but I think the point you are trying to make, that the title block and border belong over in the paper space layout and not in model space, becomes that much clearer especially if there are various other objects back in model space that represent the geometry one would normally create there. No offense was meant.

ok but I cant edit my text. like part number, revision date, etc.

thats the problem I am having. also when i double click on that I cant zoom or move my layout

I hope im not just pissing you guys off - cause I really do appreciate the help and I am getting this but I have 2 title blocks currently that I have just created as a dwg and I need to be able to edit the text on them. so how do I set the title block (like the CAD default title blocks)(They size themselves and everything) - I now know how to do the page setup to adjust the size of my paper to a A-size or a D-size but its the title block thats giving me fits.

The CAD default template has its revision or part numbers or what have you as "attributes" not "text" as I do, Could this be something that I need to change and if so HOW

One thing I noticed right away is that it is not entirely clear which is the viewport layer. I'd suggest naming it Vports.

Yes, you can edit the title block via the BEDIT command. In the example drawing posted however you have to know which block that is. I believe it is the one that starts with A$C4......

What is it that you want to move in your layout? Not sure what you mean.

What is it that you want to zoom into in your layout? Or are you talking about objects in model space?

ok but I cant edit my text. like part number, revision date, etc.

thats the problem I am having. also when i double click on that I cant zoom or move my layout

viewport is locked. You can easily unlock it. Most of the time, there is a picture of a lock icon at the bottom of the screen you can easily click to toggle from lock to unlock.

You can put your titleblock in on the layout tab the same way you would in model space. Insert it, copy and paste it, any way that works. Then set the page up the same way too. I'm not familiar with Mechanical 2005 but all that works the same way in the layout tabs (or paperspace, which ever you want to call it) as it does in model space. The only thing different you have to do is create one or more viewports to be able to see into model space from the layout tab.

--edit--all the rest of these guys type a lot faster than I do! I'm about 2 questions behind now.

I just noticed that the title block/border extends above/beyond the dashed lines representing the limits to which AutoCAD will print. This would need to be addressed.

I just noticed that the title block/border extends above/beyond the dashed lines representing the limits to which AutoCAD will print. This would need to be addressed.

probably have a similar problem at the bottom as well. I didn't create the title block, just inserted it.

I've attached another file with added layout (4) to show more than one viewport in paperspace.

A-SIZE[1][1][1].dwg

yes I was talking about sizing/moving the objects from the model space. - Im pretty sure I have it. I do command REFEDIT. Select my block(title block) then edit my text. then when done REFCLOSE

Does this sound like the proper way to do this? I hope so cause if it is than I got it.