creating a plane on a round surface

pjmac

I have a similar question regarding this topic. I am working on a project where I am building a 6 foot diameter steel globe and I need to project a 2d drawing of the continents onto the globe. I need the projection to be accurate with the 3 dimensional curve of the globe though and I am not sure how to achieve this. Any help would be awesome.

You're in for a rough time of it.

You can't actually project onto a sphere, unfortunately. I had a project sort of like this - but fortunately not nearly so complex as a globe. You might find something in here that will help, although I did way too much work in solving the problem ... http://www.cadtutor.net/forum/showthread.php?63875-Emboss-with-wrap-to-sphere&highlight=emboss+wrap+sphere

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JD Mather

• Bishop

• pjmac

• djwuss

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I thought I would share what I did in the hopes that in the future someone will find my information helpful. What I ended up doing was creating a work plane that was tangent to the surface of the globe. I then found a really high resolution jpg file of north and south America. I created a sketch on my tangent work plane and inserted the image into the drawing. I then created a decal with the jpg image. I then created another sketch on the tangent work plane and used a spline to trace my outline.GLOBE.jpg