Photon Map and Exposure Values help

Raudel Solis

I have a scene, and i am going to generate The renders with different Exposure Values E.V. 10-15.

I've thought about using a photon map to Save time, Do i need a different Photon Map for Each exposure? Or can i Instead Generate 1 Photon Map that will work With Different Exposure Values?

Also is there a way that i can make 3ds Max Save a Render in two different formats simultaneously since i am going to render utilizing the frames option, so by default 3ds max will save 1 image, clear then go to the next.:unsure:

All I can say is try it and see what happens. 99.9% of the work I do is exterior rendering so I never need to mess around with photons, but I think if you're going to be playing around with the exposure settings then the photon map would have to be regenerated each time. So I don't think saving a photon map is going to be of any use in terms of saving time.

Why are you using the frames option? Are you doing an animation? I could be wrong but I don't think you can save in two different formats simultaneously.

not an animation just a rendering.... here is the Iray image

i wanted to see what photoshop would generate with Merge to HDr pro with different exposures from 3ds max.

i use Merge to HDr for photography. and i was curious to see what it would do with the renders.

6327642238_62903c5a27_b.jpg

My AMD Graphics card has no CUDA cores:glare:

Renderer that is going to be used to output different Exposure images - Mental Ray

Max will already spit out a HDR so why don't you try and render to 32bit format, in render options you need to enable this first, there's a drop down. Then is PS change to 16bit to get your HDR tonemapping options. Note that Exposure Control is just Max's tonemapper, so it creates your hdr first.

RE: Photons - the photon map is independent from the exposure control, same as FG, so you can save your map and reuse it as long as you don't adjust the lighting/textures or animate any objects i.e. you can change exposure as much as you like.

Google Ramy Hanna for some good - to the point tutorials on lighting setup.