Structural Drafting With Autocad, help with the last 3 plates

paisis123

Plate 2 Pillar Rebar note.PNG

Here is what it says in my copy of the instructions for Plate 2 regarding rebar in the "pillar" (I call it a pier).

Regarding the metal siding (a.k.a. - decking). There is no mention whether this is attached vertically or horizontally. My guess would be that vertical is the way to go based on what we do here at our chemical plant with corrugated metal siding.

On page 13 of the instructions it says only four specific items must be labeled in Plate 2.

Only the footings, columns and roofline are to be designated by hidden lines according to the instructions. Use hatching to show the siding only in small patches is another recommendation.

Edited by ReMark

ok I've been working on the corrections, however i'm stumped on the rebar and the hatching. when im trying to hatch inside lets say my pillar to create a hatch that looks like yours, it takes up the whole area. how do i get it to look like your hatching where theres no obvious polyline at the end for a boundary? and for the rebar it refers to a page in the study booklet which i dont know if you have but what exactly does it mean? i probably should not have taken this course online seeing how much trouble i'm having with understanding autocad, but i did and i have to complete it. I appreciate your help and your patience

I don't have the study booklet. Do you?

You don't see my hatch boundary because it is on a layer that is frozen. Sometimes I don't even do that, I just erase the boundary after completing the hatching. My technique is to do a small portion then either copy or mirror it.

Online courses can be a challenge since, at least the way Penn-Foster does it, the "instructors" aren't all that easy to get in touch with and they aren't all that helpful. I have even found at least one instance where the information that was provided (a hand sketch of a streetline) was wrong. I challenged them on it but no one at P-F would respond. As a student of P-F is there a forum were other students taking the same class can help each other or at least communicate with each other?

I am not all that impressed with the Penn-Foster AutoCAD program. Despite major changes/enhancements in AutoCAD P-F continues to do some things the "old school" way while at the same time completely ignoring new features. I don't understand how they justify this.

apparently its not available for electronic distribution. yeah thats the reason why i jumped on here to see if i could get some help. i sent an email sunday to them asking them a few questions and havent heard anything. as far as i know there isnt an online forum for the students. that would just make to much sense to help the student out. i will try out your hatch "secret" later.

So just what has you stumped regarding the rebar?

I am not surprised to hear that despite emailing P-F on Sunday you have yet to receive a response. I suppose that once they have your money and have provided you with the course materials they have done their job. I am not at all impressed with their instructors. Have you tried contacting someone in the upper reaches of the company/school to voice your concerns regarding the lack of help and timeliness of responses to questions?

no i have not tried that approach as far as talking to someone from PF but I will give it a shot.

the rebar: in your drawing it has the rebar bending at the bottom the opposite way that the book shows it, the book has them facing each other with a couple of inches overlapping. what does it mean by 'overlap' at the bottom of the pillar? and the 2" clear on the side on yours, where the horizontal rebar meets the vertical piece how far past the vertical rebar is the horizontal piece supposed to extend?

I assume that you are referring to the image I included in post #81. Do NOT use that as a guide. Each situation calls for a different approach. In the example provided some of the rebar will be installed when the pile cap is poured. This will be allowed to cure for 28 days. The contractor will return and form up the pier and place the remainder of the rebar after which the pier will be poured.

The 2" called for in the above detail is to make sure the rebar is sufficiently covered by concrete. The horizontal rebar, when installed in the field, will extend just far enough that the steelworker has the ability to tie-off the two overlapping pieces with wire. This holds the position of the rebar when the concrete is poured. In a drawing of this type it isn't really necessary to show that overlap but I do. The contractor is familiar enough with this type of work to know what is required and will order the rebar properly sized for length.

ok got it. The place I work wanted us to build concrete ramps to our steel building for the forklift to use and they tied the ends of the rebar how you described, so i understand what you mean now. now whats the last line of the directions mean exactly " the overlap of the rebar near the bottom of the pillar is approximately 2" " ? I am working on the other defects of my drawing and hopefully soon will be able to post an updated link. thanks again!

I assume that you have two pieces of rebar that will basically pass each other by. Each bar will overlap the other by 2".

I'm not on my CAD computer at the moment so I cannot provide an image.

after reading through the directions a little more....all the way up to plate 4... it says "for example, you'll be seeing the cross section of the channel beam instead of the flat side of the beam as shown in section A." section A (plate 3) is drawn from the same angle of looking at the building except that the building has been cut in half to "look inside" almost. so after figuring that out my channel beams should be running horizontally aka the flat side of the beam showing. am i correct on this or am i wrong? because if i'm right I would have to change a lot of stuff on my plate 2 since it would have virtually the same view as plate 3. ughhhhhhhh

I thought that Plate 2 was supposed to be the South elevation of the building. One would see the columns and the W12x45's (assuming the siding were removed).

Plate 3 is a section through the building; it is cut in an east/west direction looking north. One would see the W12x45 beams in section ( imagine the letter "I" ) but the channels would be running east/west. This would be your Section A-A.

Plate 4 is a section through the building but it is cut in a north/south direction looking east. This would be your Section B-B.

I've been looking back through this project and I am struck by the fact that although Plate 1 is supposed to be the "Foundation Plan" the instructions call for showing the steel beams and channels that make up the second level. Does anyone else familiar with structural and/or architectural drawings find that unusual?

Well I have decided to give this project a go myself to see what is involved. One of the first things I've come across is that the W12x152 column, baseplate and "J" bolt does not make much sense the way it is presented. In fact, the student will end up showing the "J" bolt in the wrong position when creating the elevation for the south side of the structure.

• 4 weeks later...

i only got an 82 on my completed project, i'm not happy with it, however as much trouble as i've had understanding what the directions wanted, i passed this one. the next one is civil drafting project and i plan on doing a lot better. thanks for your help again remark.