Angles and distance

Keavney90

I am currently using 2010 version of AutoCAD and I am having difficulties sorting out my angles.

I need to make a line of 25 at an angle of 150 degrees.

Apon doing this it always goes the wrong direction to which I want the line to be facing.

I am not very good at maths but any suggestions would be much appriated.

Thank you for any responces given.

Keavney.

Remember that AutoCAD, by default, considers angle "0" to be at the 3 o'clock position so that an angle of 150 degrees will be at the 10 o'clock position. You can change the direction of "0", if you wish, through the UNITS command.

They way I would draw a line at length of 25 at an angle of 150 degrees would simply be;

Line command, click on screen where you wish to start your line, then type the following.

This should work.

Thank you, all your responses have been very useful & are much appreiated. I have managed to do this now thanks to your help.

I'm sure I'll be back soon with yet another worry!

Another simple technique is to draw a straight horizontal or vertical line at desired distance and then rotate it.

Taking this a step further -

you have a line at some angle.

you want another line at a given angle to the first.

rotate copy the first line at the given angle.

Lengthen total the new line to get correct length (or draw construction circle at rotation point and trim the second line).

This sort of problem is often given on a test to see if you really know how to manipulate angles by geometry (rather than calculations - you can certainly do the calculations - but it will take several times as long to solve the problem).

Something I don't see mentioned that affects your result is, standard AutoCAD is set to use the "right hand rule" for rotation. That means that a positive rotation value will produce a counterclockwise rotation.

You can easily determine rotation based on the rule by looking at you right hand and the direction the fingers curl "around" the thumb. There are a lot of times I still look down at my right hand. :lol:

I need help again. I got an angle of 150 left (which I managed) across a 30 mm right and an angle (I think of 5) going up but the distance had to be 25 mm between the first and second line, so like when I do it the distance is really small, but how can it be 25mm when its going at an angle? surley it will change as it goes up? It is going to be a K but its just doing my head in now.

Edited by Keavney90

I am currently using 2010 version of AutoCAD and I am having difficulties sorting out my angles.

I need to make a line of 25 at an angle of 150 degrees.

Apon doing this it always goes the wrong direction to which I want the line to be facing.

I am not very good at maths but any suggestions would be much appriated.

Thank you for any responces given.

Keavney.

Here is a similar problem i am having also. Not trying to highjack this thread, but i have some wall measurements that were framed up and we used and angle finder to get the angles, the angles were as follows, 134.1 degrees going 48 1/2" up then to the right @ 134.7 degrees and so on. When i i try to draw these lines i cannot figure how to draw or dictate that angle, as i have to match these angles to get my product to fit properly, i am using AC08, How can make the angles go down to decimal points? I have tried adding .10 in my polar settings but it does not seem to recognize this.What am i doing wrong?? Help please...

Yes i have set that to 0.00, but when i draw angle lines it shows as ex. 37.0 instead of 37.2 or 37.4!! Is this possible to be done that way or no? Thanks for your quick reply....

I have tried adding .10 in my polar settings but it does not seem to recognize this.What am i doing wrong?? Help please...

Try setting the system variable POLARANG to 0.1, instead of using the normal Settings dialogue screen.

You will have to have a very steady hand to control it, and it would be quicker to enter the angle from the keyboard.

Here is a drawing of what i am talking about, if i can get it loaded up.. I have overridden the angles to what they're supposed to be but they are not what is dimensioned. Hope this helps. OOps sorry, how can i save this file and load it up

Here is a drawing of what i am talking about, if i can get it loaded up.. I have overridden the angles to what they're supposed to be but they are not what is dimensioned. Hope this helps. OOps sorry, how can i save this file and load it up

"Go Advanced"..."Manage Attachments"...

Try setting the system variable POLARANG to 0.1, instead of using the normal Settings dialogue screen.

You will have to have a very steady hand to control it, and it would be quicker to enter the angle from the keyboard.

Entering it from the keyboard is what is was wanting to do? So you would draw a line then enter for example= 48.5

Entering it from the keyboard is what is was wanting to do? So you would draw a line then enter for example= 48.5

Enter it with the @ symbol in front, @48.5

Just to jump in a bit here, even when entering the length and angle via keyboard, as per rkent's post above,unless you have your Dim style precision set correctly when you dimension up your drawing Acad will round up to nearest whole number or alloted decimal point.

Had the devil of a job explaining that to someone last week. All the lines were correct (at 38.7°) but his dimensioned drawings came in at a rounded 39°.

Remark's comment "UNITS > Angle > Precision. " will allow you set the number of decimal places you see when you click on a line and hover over one of the grips....which was the next phone call I got! :lol:

I remember getting very frustrated in the early days when things did not work as expected (and trying to explain the problem, nearly as much again) but it got easier until someone mentioned lisp

:lol:

Rob.