missing content of a file

Rubbersnow

something strange happened , I had open two files (work file and file to watch from) and somehow after closing AutoCad , the content of the work file is replaced by the content of the other one.It is same with the .bak file . Is there any chance to recover my previous work , somehow to go back in the history of that file?

:shock: :shock: :shock:

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Rubbersnow

• ReMark

• SLW210

• Dana W

Top Posters In This Topic

So you opened each DWG and BAK file for each drawing and they are all the same?

You don't have an original back-up of each file saved perhaps on a CD, DVD, flash drive, etc?

I dont have recovery file on CD or something like that because I started to work on the file this morning , but this is my 10 hours work and I will be fuc*ed if I don't menage this shi*

yes. every .dwg and .bak file that I have .It realy looks like something that I made on purpose. Both .dwg and .bak file are last modified in 3:59 about 10 min after that I opened it to correct something and ...

cause I was working on schematic drawing (which is my work file) and the other file is plan drawing (plan of the first floor of the building from which to get information what to draw on the schematic )

We have two files with unique names but they now have the exact same content? That's a good trick.

Best trick I can say . I will redraw it tomorrow and twice faster than today but it will take all morning :facepalm:

I'm becoming SAVE AS maniac

So somewhere along the line you 1) erased everything in one drawing then 2) copied and pasted content from the other drawing into it then saved the drawing? I don't believe it. You would have had to know that you were doing it.

Is there any chance you saved one of the two drawings to a different folder on your hard drive and not know it?

Were you working with drawings that utilized a layout?

Best trick I can say . I will redraw it tomorrow and twice faster than today but it will take all morning :facepalm:

I'm becoming SAVE AS maniac

Just use SAVE, you most likely did a SAVE AS over your files and made them both the same.

Just use SAVE, you most likely did a SAVE AS over your files and made them both the same.

Save as I mean that I will make different versions of the drawing every 2 hours

This has me wondering.

To save as over a drawing, the target drawing has to be closed first. AutoCAD/Windows will not write to an open file. Also, the warning "xxx.dwg already exists" would have to be responded to by clicking yes to the overwrite question. It's unlikely that anyone would go to that much trouble to make a mistake without waking up at some point.

I have a feeling that the wiring diagram is not in the same folder as the floor plan drawing, and a copy of the floor plan was saved as the wiring diagram drawing name in the floor plan folder.

How's about rubbersnow doing a windows file search for the file names in question?

This has me wondering.

To save as over a drawing, the target drawing has to be closed first. AutoCAD/Windows will not write to an open file. Also, the warning "xxx.dwg already exists" would have to be responded to by clicking yes to the overwrite question. It's unlikely that anyone would go to that much trouble to make a mistake without waking up at some point.

I have a feeling that the wiring diagram is not in the same folder as the floor plan drawing, and a copy of the floor plan was saved as the wiring diagram drawing name in the floor plan folder.

How's about rubbersnow doing a windows file search for the file names in question?

I have seen people hit ENTER so fast when something pops up it would make your head spin. I have actually seen this happen with save as. Yes it was from not paying attention to which folder and which name.

I have seen people hit ENTER so fast when something pops up it would make your head spin. I have actually seen this happen with save as. Yes it was from not paying attention to which folder and which name.

Hah, yes_it happens. I betcha there isn't one among us who has not clicked the NO button when the save changes box comes up after quit. "Wha... oh fibble, did I just click the no?":shock::cry:

Hah, yes_it happens. I betcha there isn't one among us who has not clicked the NO button when the save changes box comes up after quit. "Wha... oh fibble, did I just click the no?":shock::cry:

That must be the G rated version.