Mouse recommendations??

Jon McElwain

Oh! That reminds me of a funny story about one of the big wigs (BW) here... he called IT in when they were at our office one week (they usually work remotely) because he was having trouble with his mouse.

BW: "My mouse isn't working right."

IT: "Have you checked your mouse battery?"

BW: "No, how do you do that?"

:facepalm: :rofl:

lol.............

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Jack_O'neill

• alanjt

• resullins

• BlackBox

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Ok...a 20 count package of Duracell AA's is 9.97 on Walmart.com. If you use one every 5.2 weeks on average, 10 bucks gets you a 2 year supply.

If you get 4 months out of one, you're down to a $1.50 a year. You'll spill more coffee than that. One every 3 months means the package above will do you 5 years.

Well hell... someone has to keep y'all entertained so you'll keep helping me with my CAD problems. I have a LOT of programming to do in the next 12 months. We're overhauling our engineering standards.

... All you need to do is ask... If we (the community) can help, we will. Simple as that.

Ok...a 20 count package of Duracell AA's is 9.97 on Walmart.com. If you use one every 5.2 weeks on average' date=' 10 bucks gets you a 2 year supply.

If you get 4 months out of one, you're down to a $1.50 a year. You'll spill more coffee than that. One every 3 months means the package above will do you 5 years.[/quote']

Corded mouse is cheaper to purchase, no monthly battery fee and you don't have to support evil corporations.

Corded mouse is cheaper to purchase, no monthly battery fee and you don't have to support evil corporations.

but you dont get to secretly plug it into your partner in crime's computer and mess with him from 3 cubicles away either!

I don't do that anyway. I have 2 knitting needles stuck in a lemon, and transfer the power to my cordless mouse by way of a miniature tesla coil. As soon as I get the guinea pigs trained to row the little boat, I plan to add a wireless keyboard. :D

I've spent most of my adult life working for companies that bought the cheapest thing they could get their hands on and expecting me to work miracles with it. Usually I've been able to manage it. Now that I'm out on my own, I'm through with sitting in $25 office chairs and using $4 mice. No more flea market desks and bargain barn light fixtures that work only if I scrub my leather soled shoes on the carpet and touch the bulb because they are too cheap to buy the right ballast. I'm going to have a few things that I want since I'm paying the bills myself. If I'm gonna throw down $4000 for software, i'm not gonna quibble over $10 for the price of a mouse. It's my company, I spend every day using this stuff so by heaven I'm going to have a few things.

I've spent most of my adult life working for companies that bought the cheapest thing they could get their hands on and expecting me to work miracles with it.

Same with me, that's why I bought logitech trackman, I was getting RSI/Carpal tunnel like symptoms, I complained to IT and they were quibbling a £40 expense. They are legally required to provide equipment as required to prevent repetitive injuries and they were moaning over a frankly tiny expenditure. Especially tiny in comparison to what it would have cost them if I had to stop cadding through injury. Before that I had one of the two 5 button mice in the company (80 plus in head office) one of a handful of 19" monitors (one only, everyone else in CAD has 17" non cadders get 15") and a word processor as a CAD computer.

Just wish I had the bravery (and the experience) to set up on my own.

but you dont get to secretly plug it into your partner in crime's computer and mess with him from 3 cubicles away either!

I have a friend who got into a bit of a feud with his neighbor across the street. To get at the guy, he bought one of those high dollar universal remotes for tv's and such. The guy across the street has this huge bay window and I guess just to show off, they never close the curtains. Across the room from this window is a huge plasma tv. My friend would wait until after dark, then go sit in a lawn chair in the shadows in his yard with this remote, and occasionally change channels on the tv across the street. Or sometimes he'd mute the sound. Sometimes he'd change inputs. He'd do this for half an hour or so, then wait 4 or 5 days to do it again. The tv repair guy came 4 times in 2 months. The guy even used a video recorder to capture his TV going nuts to prove to the repair guy there was something wrong with it. Fortunately my friend quit doing it before his neighbor caught him (only because he got bored with it) but he still laughs about it. They guy across the street finally moved away, and peace was restored to the neighborhood.

I have a button (small enough to fit on your keychain) that will cycle through all the IR commands for OFF. It's hilarious, you're sitting at a bar, you click the button, the bartender flips out... it's amusing. Or, you're at a restaurant, and you get the table next to the really loud TV, you press the button, problem solved! It's awesome.

I have a button (small enough to fit on your keychain) that will cycle through all the IR commands for OFF.

I know what I want for Christmas now!

• 2 months later...

Back to the subject of mouse recommendations...I'm currently looking for a new mouse and ran across this one...it's a Cyborg R.A.T. 9 gaming mouse. Has anyone on the forum used this mouse before?

r9_1.jpg

CNET gives it great reviews but some of the user reviews mention that the tracker starts to act up after a few months. The other issue is that the thing costs $150! But hey...it looks pretty freakin' cool.

Needing one at work myself. Yeah I would like to try that Cyborg but I am not sure work will swing for that. I want to try that MS Arc Touch but not sure how I would like no scroll wheel.

The RAT sure looks cool' date=' but i'd need an onscreen guide to remind me of what all the buttons do![/quote']

Ditto... and probably a loan to afford one. How much does that thing cost?

ETA: Nevermind... I just found out. Good lord... if one of y'all buys it, and doesn't like it, I'll take it off your hands!

Looks like it would simply shred your fingers when you try to actually use it.

I once bought a Logitech MX518 after a short test, and you would probably expect me to tell I loved it. I didn't. After half a year I switched to the CoolerMaster sentinel advance because the fingers converge instead of diverge when holding the mouse. Seems like a small difference, but saved me a whole lot of pain at the end of a working day.

Also, I use a wacom bamboo fun M pen & touch tablet. It's not precise enough to replace the mouse, but as I'm a lefty it's a great addition.

I have had a chance to read through a few more reviews on the RAT...the only negative (besides price of course)...the laser seems to have issues after a few months of use.

There's a corded version also...60-70 bucks cheaper. I'm thinking since the battery life is so horrible on the cordless (8-9 hours)...maybe the corded would be a better fit.

Thoughts?