Saving files - AutoCAD 2011

mr cadman guiff

I'm using AutoCAD 2011. When I click on 'File' and then 'Save As', instead of a dialogue box on screen, I get, on the command line, the following:

'Enter File Format R14 (LT98 & LT97/2000/...........up to 2010) :(

How can I get rid of this of the command line and get the dialogue box back?

Thanks in anticipation.......

Set the system variable FILEDIA to 1

This seems to be a quite common failing, so it should be checked when any operation brings up a command line response when a dialogue box is expected.

This from my help files:

FILEDIA

Type: Integer

Saved in: Registry

Initial value: 1

Suppresses display of the file dialog boxes.

0 Does not display dialog boxes. You can still request a file dialog box to appear by entering a tilde (~) in response to the command's prompt. The same is true for AutoLISP and ADS functions.

1 Displays file dialog boxes. However, if a script or AutoLISP/ObjectARX™ program is active, AutoCAD displays an ordinary prompt.

i have just tried what you have siad. I typed ~ and it said unknow command then I altered the Filedia to 1. But it freezes the lot out and the only way I could get it to respond is to close cad and restart it. any ideas. Thanks.

There are sometimes when AutoCAD goes a bit awry, seemingly all by itself. One cure, before doing anything drastic, is to close AutoCAD and reboot the computer. Doesn't solve everything, but should be the first thing to try. :D

_FILEDIA=1 Displays dialog boxes. However, if a script or AutoLISP/ObjectARX™ program is active, an ordinary prompt is displayed.

Are you using more than one monitor? It my be hiding behind AutoCAD. If not you could have a script. LISP etc active.

One monitor only. No it's not hidind behind AutoCad I looked. LISP, I just do not under stand how I go about trying to find if a LISP ia active. Can you please exspain how I go about it. Thanks.

i have just tried what you have siad. I typed ~ and it said unknow command then I altered the Filedia to 1. But it freezes the lot out and the only way I could get it to respond is to close cad and restart it. any ideas. Thanks.

It should not say unknown command and it certainly should not freeze if you try to set filedia=1

I would try a Repair Install.

Is this vanilla AutoCAD or one of the verticals - like AutoCAD Architecture?

Edited by JD Mather

I have faced the issue stated by cadman, whenever I tried to save any file using scripts. I have tried to change the system variable filedia and it has been set to 1 but on the next instance I faced the issue again. I am using vanilla version of AutoCAD. What are the solutions for the issue?

I have just re-install, I have still got the same issue as before. I would 2nd what you said, CtkaNa. What are the solutions for the issue?

I have just re-install, I have still got the same issue as before. I would 2nd what you said, CtkaNa. What are the solutions for the issue?

But it sounds like CtkaNa is saying he can reset filedia (it is not particularly unusual for it to get set to zero unintentionally - that is why everyone knows about it), while you are saying it freezes.

This should not happen.

Are you running an 3rd party apps with AutoCAD?

Have you been experimenting with your own customization code?

Cadman I am not sure about the problem, but this occurs to me only if I do it by script. Otherwise it works fine. The system variable AutoCAD uses for this is filedia, it is the only direct solution provided by autodesk. It should work but other ways I am unaware of. If you find anything other than it kindly share it here!!!

I'm using AutoCAD 2011. When I click on 'File' and then 'Save As', instead of a dialogue box on screen, I get, on the command line, the following:

'Enter File Format R14 (LT98 & LT97/2000/...........up to 2010) :(

How can I get rid of this of the command line and get the dialogue box back?

Thanks in anticipation.......

Are you using Win7? Autodesk knowledge base says to turn Aero off and try again.

Sounds like a LISP or some third party program is resetting your system variable. You need to locate it and unload it.

This happened to me some time ago with AutoCAD 2011 and after I reinstall the Windows(7) and the same version of AutoCAD the problem was solved.But like you,I don't know what caused this.

• 2 weeks later...