2D to Advanced 3D

F4TCT

Hi all, im not sure where to start here so here goes..

I currently use Turbocad Pro 17.1 (ok i know this is an autocad forum but hear me out), now using this and another piece of 3D software called freeship, I drew up a copy of my friends fishing boat based on measurements in which i had taken. I have basic 2D skills.

Im sure we all know a wooden boat is made of frames and planks. The boat in question is a Whitby Coble - google it. Freeship allows the planks to be printed off or exported into CAD.

What i would like to do is basically turn the frames that i have drawn, into 3D. From there i would like to assemble them in order and then basically turn the planks to 3D and wrap them round the frames! This serves a few purposes - firstly they need tweaking, secondly, the frames need to be notched to accept the planks! Freeship does not support clinker built boats.

Cobles are clinker built which means plank on plank and the frame or ribs, are the last to be installed.

Im after anyone who can help me on Autocad or on Turbocad as i have access to both.

Ive seen this done before but i just dont know where to turn.

Dan

Coble.jpg

You want to use your 2D cross-sections to create the 3D framework of the boat right? AutoCAD's LOFT command should be able to handle that aspect. The planking may be a little bit more involved.

Yes, that would be a bit of a challenge but I'm betting there are people (much smarter than me) here who could help you figure out how to do it.

I'll keep an eye on the thread and if need be give it some encouragement in the form of a *bump*. We're not quite at the stage yet however. Just be patient.

I agree with ReMark; definitely looks like a loft operation.

Post the file if you can. I’m eager to give it a shot. . . . there are probably others as well.

Yeah, that does look like fun, doesn't it, so much more interesting than rectilinear modeling. As a woodworker it is really fun working on boats, planes, logs because everything gets scribed into the adjoining bits. very gratifying.