Some AutoCAD dialogue box's don't apprear

jaylo23

Hello all, i have had this problem for some time now, but im just now getting time to post it. Basically the problem i have is that certain AutoCAD commands, not all, that require a dialogue box do not work, i.e insert, drafting settings, linetype settings, etc. When i invoke the command AutoCAD just hangs there, and i have to hit escape. As i mentioned earlier this only applies to a few commands, open, saveas, xref and others work with no problem. However all of my third-party AutoCAD programs work with no problems. The funny thing is if i have a vanilla session of AutoCAD open, and then open a separate session of a third-party AutoCAD program such as multi-suite, or AutoPlant design, or Inventor, my vanilla AutoCAD session has none of the problems mentioned and the commands behave normally. But when i close vanilla AutoCAD and open it back up, the problem comes back and i have to go through the steps mentioned above. This problem only happens on my PC in every drawing. I have repaired and re-installed to no avail, and filedia is set to 1. I currently am running AutoCAD 2010. My initial thoughts were that its a video card problem, but why would other programs work and not vanilla AutoCAD?

Why do you suspect the video card?

By the way, with 3.5GB and running WinXP do you have the 3GB Switch enabled in your boot,ini file? Just curious.

I have seen a few glitches caused by certain video cards with AutoCAD specifically AMD's which is what i have. Also it is the only change i have had made to my PC in the past year, and this problem popped up about 3 months ago.

Yes i do have the 3G switch enabled.

Yes i have repaired multiple times.

I am using a AutoCAD certified driver, and the video card has a AutoCAD specific plug in for performance

What other tweaks have you made to your system?

It seems odd that the problem only seems to crop up after you have closed plain AutoCAD and then at some point reopen it. Something is not be loaded?

@ Remark - Not on subscription, its been acting like this for about 3 months now, was fine up until then

@ edwinprakoso - Have checked and it says it was the certified, i have even tried rolling back to older drivers

There's only one thing left that I can think of. It may be a Windows update that cause it. But if it is because of Windows update, Autodesk should have released AutoCAD update/service pack to fix it. Have you installed the latest AutoCAD update?

I finally got it to work! All i did was delete my "general" profile, closed AutoCAD, and started it back up, so that it forces AutoCAD to create a new profile, and it worked. It is strange that this worked because about a month ago i had the IT department completely wipe my PC and start fresh and the problem was still there. Maybe there was something in the install files that was corrupt, or some of my custom files were corrupt. But it works and i can stop using command line based commands to do simple stuff! Boy that was a trip down memory lane having to use the command line. Thanks for every ones help and ill keep you guys posted if the problems rears it head again as im am not convinced that there isnt more to the problem than just deleting a profile, i wouldnt be surprised if comes back at some point. Just hope that it holds up until IT get around to building my new workstation, (they have the stuff as of yesterday, just havent gotten around to putting it together!) they cant tease me like this, i am about as excited as when i was a kid on christmas morning!