Missing CAD layers when convert to GIS

rmbaril

Hi,

I'm relatively new to CAD, but experienced in GIS. I am trying to import a survey drawing from CAD to ArcGIS (Version 10 Editor). When I import it seems to import all layer types except for ACC_Parcel_segments. It will import polylines, arc, circle etc. I have stumped the GIS pro at ESRI, and am waiting for a response from AutoDesk support.

Any ideas?

R

(sorry if my terminology is all wrong)

I have come across this a time or two as well. What I have noticed is that the entities that do not import into ArcGIS are objects that are not basic entities. Such as Civil 3D Objects, etc. Another thing that will not import is solids. Try saving the file to another name and explode the ACC_Parcel_segments objects and importing it from there.

Two options to get a Civil3D dwg into E$RI. One is use the Export to GIS funtion in Civil3D to create a SDF format file. Then convert that SDF to shp format. There's two free apps that I know of that will convert formats. (plus bulk copy in Map3D)

The other option is to save(export) the Civil3D dwg to AutoCAD DWG format then import that into E$RI, or use the mapexport command to create shp files.