Units from inches to millimeters

nowikovs12

Hello everyone,

I have this problem with units. I am using 2012 Autocad drafting. I want to work with millimeters, for instance usually when I type 1000, that is usually refered as 1 meter. Now in the new model space when I type 1000 the line is so long, I even have to press regenerate so that I can see the line. I checked the units, they are set to millimiters, I also checked from options - user preferences they are also set to millimeters.

When for instance I will open an older file that I worked on in autocad 2010, in autocad 2012, it will work fine, when I will write 1000, it will actually come up as one meter. The settings in units and options - user preferences are the same. I would really opriciate help here.

I also copied a table from the 2010 file to the new one, and the chair comes up very big in the screen, so again I use regenerate to zoom out.

Also every time I open a new file, I have to go to units and change it from Inches to millimeters. Is there a way to do it once, so that you dont have to do it every time you open a new file in autocad? I know you can customise your workspace, and I have, but that doesn't seam to do it.

Thank you guys :)

Hi,

I think the viewing window is set wrong in you .DWT, so if you make a line 1000mm, it is actually 1000mm, but you zoomed it way in.

When you open a file and set it to milimeters and save the drawing as the default .DWT, i think that is the problem with new files.

Hello guys, thank you for your time and help, yes I just realised, that when selecting templates from the list, I selected the acad file, rather than the acadiso file. Now when I selected the acadiso file it seams to be fine. Thanks again,

could ou give me a brief explanation on difference between these two templates? If the units on both are set identical, why is there such a difference between acad and acadiso? Thanks

They are all technically the same (everything is in drawing units - whatever you want those units to be).

But everything in "iso" form is larger than than the non-iso. The iso linetypes are much larger (in drawing units)...I'm guessing about 25.4 times larger (don't have acad on this computer). The annotation scales are also different - you naturally don't want to see xx"=xx' in a metric drawing; and feet units will scale an additional 12 times to paperspace, whereas the metric system is always a simple decimal place movement. No matter what though, everything can be changed in a drawing at any time....obviously, we'd all rather start with the right template.

An easy way to think about the big difference is to look at the paperspace: a non-iso paper size of 11units x 17units (inches to us/units to the dwg)....and the same iso paper size (mm to us/still just units to the dwg) would be 279.4units x 431.8 units. So to us this is the same physical size, but to the drawing iso is 25.4 times more "drawing units". This is also why the acad template had you zoomed in so far.

Hope that makes sense....I'm sure one of these other pros will correct me if I'm off

I have the same problems sir, I just searched for the same question to my problem.

I'm having problems when it comes to units. My paper size would be 8.5x11 inches and my drawing should be in millimeters. First I set my units to inches then create a grid limit to 8.5x11(inches), then I started drawing with units at millimeters but it sets off the limits I made on inches. And so I thought that changing units aint working in autocad. What should I do?

Engr2be, I would recommend if you want to draw in mm, then set all your units to mm. Type "-dwgunits" and then select mm whenever it asks through the command prompts.

You know you want to print on an 8.5x11" sheet of paper...just multiply that size by 25.4 and set your pagesetup to use that size (in mm). When you finally print it from a printer, it will still be 8.5x11". The main issue I see with your current method is that the dwg can be in either Imperial units OR Metric units. I try to stay away from mixing the two.

Additionally, I'm not sure from your post whether you are using paperspace, paperspace with viewports, or just modelspace. You may need to reset the scales list if you change the units of a dwg. You can type "Scalelistedit" to reset and to add/edit any individually.

Thank you for explaining this to me, it was very important, and now I am aware of the difference between these two templates. Thank you for your time Engr2be ;)