Exporting Handles and x y coordinates from a polyline and resulting in text file

kywashington

Hi! Does anyone have access to code that I can run to export the handles and x y coordinates of closed polylines and show results in a text file. ANY help wil be appreciated!

-K:D

• 1 year later...
  • Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• tiny_21_2003

• Murph_map

• BIGAL

• BlackBox

I would like to know this as well. I have several hundred miles of fiber that I have to create a database for in Access. It would be very helpful if I were able to export the handles and start and end locations of the polylines (fiber cable). The data base is set up to link to AutoCAD using the handle IDs and the start and end locations could easily correspond with the pole information extracted using ATTOUT.

Tiny-21-2003,

If you are using Map3D you can use the dwg attach and query tools to create a report. The commands are old school map functions and allow you to get the handle ID and create a txt file.

See other post by Tiny_21_2003

No need for a lisp as Map3D has the tools and fuctions built in for it. The Op just needs a little training on using Map3D. I can think of a number of ways to get that info into a database with Map3D without any lisp or addons.

Murph_map

you are correct I do need some training on map 3d. Unfortunately my company can not provide the training. I am the most experienced with the map 3d. I have been a telcom drafter since 2005. We have just started scratching the surface of the gis side the last year or so. The company only went to map 3d 2012 because of plexscape. The college here doesn't offer any night classes and the ones near by that might have failed proven themselves to me. They dont teach the basic cad skills need in the real world. I knew more about drafting when i graduated high school then the new hires at the office know straight out of college. Any suggestions.

Forums like this one and on the autodesk site are good "free" training, also weblogs (mine) are good to read, mine is a little outdated but still good info.

Okay I hope this helps. Here is what I know. I have autocad map 3d 2012 set to auto load a .dvb file. Which enables my dwg ans ms access file to communicate. The ms access file contains the same information from the attributed blocks and polylines from the dwg. If I change the info in either file the other file is update. The polylines are linked by the handle given by autocad and the blocks are linked by the attributed info. So in order to create the database I have to export the attributed block info (not a problem) and I need the handles and start and end coordinates of the polylines. (That's the problem). I have tried mapexport dataexport map guery and the lisp provided by big al. (Sorry I dont have that with me. It is on my office computer and I will post it as soon as I can). The lisp give an error. I tried it multiple time selecting a multiple polyline and a single polyline. Error bad argument I don't know what caused the error. The export functions I tried within autocad didn't give me the handle of the polylines. I fell stuck and don't know what to try or where to look next. I even tried using the list command but it isn't very efficient.

With the map query you need to be in a blank dwg, use the adedrawings command and attach the dwg with the plines in it. Then ceate the query to select the plines and the properties.

BTW where about in ARK are you?

I can't seem to find it right now, but I wrote a member an export function similar to this before... The code iterates the appropriate entities, extracts Handle, X, Y, etc. and writes to CSV.

If I find the link I'll post it; or just write a new one Monday (lunch-ish?)

Cheers

Im in central Arkansas. I tried to use query but there is no coordinate system attached to the drawing. I have no ideal what coordinate the file was created in. The person who had this project was fired and the morons who let them go didn't have anyone cross trained. I have now found a glitch in the .vba but Im not sure how to find it or fix it. It wont update all of the fields from access to the macros in the dwg or visa versa and in some of the items wont populate from the .dwg or the access file at all. The only way I can get the connection between the files is by typing the items in excel and importing them into access.

Central Ark, as in Little Rock? Not Entergy is it, or AP&L?

You don't need a cs assigned to do a query.

Sounds like you need to get the person that create the app to teach you if he is still on good terms with you, but if he was fired then management must had a reason.

Maybe if you shared the VBA app here some one may help.

I work in conway. No its not entergy or ap&l. I work for osmose communication services. The person who wrote the program is not on good terms. He was paid a hefty settlement with the terms of helping down their server in TN and get everything running smooth but he only gave us five minutes and left. So i cant count on him. I think i found the problem but not sure how to fix it. I think it was wrote for a 32 bit system and we are running 64 bit. How do I attach a file tho my thread? I do have our IT guys looking at the file but they have no autocad knowledge so I dont think they will be much help.

Oh.... Osmose I see ads from headhunters for them quite often. They seem to go though a lot of drafters from what I seen. I would suggest getting some one from outside in there and sync everything up and updated on all the software/hardware. Have you talked to anyone from Autodesk or one of the resellers there in Little Rock to ask for help?

We don't go through a lot of drafters. We were needing hiring a lot cause we are growing faster then we can keep up with. We use to be bbcom just recently changed names to match our parent company. The office in conway is the Corperate office for telecommunications. Our parent company Corperate office is osmose utilities in Buffalo New York. I have not talked to autodesk. I don't think they would help with a program not wrote by them. All the drafters in the office are running windows 7 64 bit and autocad map 3d 2012 64 bit. The office we took over in TN were running 32 bit programs and they wrote the dvb. They were going under so we bought them out and kept them going for about 6 months but they were still loosing money. I guess that's what happens when people sit around and get paid without producing. But now I have to figure out what and how they were fulfilling there contracts.

Zip it first then post the zip file or change the extension to .txt with a reminder to change back. Use the "Go Advanced" at lower right of Reply Box, then "Manage Attachments".

I have tried attaching the file both ways and can't get it to upload. I even tried ant work were we have 100 meg fiber. Guess I'm on my own but thank you everyone for all your help and efforts.