Help with my practice midterm...

polkadotanne

First, print it out and get a highlighter. Then, try to find just ONE feature you know you can draw. Once you've found it, draw it. Once you've drawn it, highlight it and highlight the dimension that you used to draw it. From there, just try to draw a feature that is dimensioned from the same position. As you chase the dimensions if you run into parts you've having trouble with just go back to the beginning and go the other direction. This should get you started.

I would start by locating all of your center points. Then draw your circles and connect them with tangent lines. Then Trim, Fillet, etc.

I don't know who dimensioned that drawing, but I think they need to go back to school and learn how to create a proper shop drawing. That thing is a mess. I can't even tell what some of those dimensions are referencing. :?

How would I do this step-by-step? I need help, I am HORRIBLE with cad :( Thanks very much for looking and hopefully helping! I really appreciate it!

just a little tip of advice, Get to know cad, you wont find a job in the industry if you are horrible with cad.

No, I am not looking for a job in this industry lol. I hate autocad to be honest and it's just a one semester program class I have to take only once. So I just want to do good then forget about it. Thanks everyone for your help.

What profession are you taking up?

Well. I'm currently in an introductory engineering program but it's definitely not my thing. I am hoping to get into agribusiness :) So I just want to get good grades, pass this first year introductory program and then move on!

I don't know who dimensioned that drawing, but I think they need to go back to school

That would be city an guilds i THINK, i may be wrong though - when i had to do a drawing very similar at college for a peice of paper to say i can do CAD (yeah right college vs work - whole different ball game!)

i got a scale rule, radius measurers, and an angle measure and drew it from what I measured.

Well. I'm currently in an introductory engineering program but it's definitely not my thing. I am hoping to get into agribusiness :) So I just want to get good grades, pass this first year introductory program and then move on!

OK, thought your were either in engineering or architecture coz you'll need CAD. well anyways goodluck to you.

just ask away if you'll run into problems. :wink:

Ok,,,,,my background deals with prints way worse that that one. I'm in automotive, stamping supplier and I have designed progressive dies, attribute check fixtures and currently programming a cmm with pc dmis 3.7. Either way, a print has basic features that are best to start with.

As stated, identify all radius locations. I format my point style to one that sticks out and use the 5% for size. Then I place the nodes (points) in all of the radius ctr locations and this can be accomplished by simply typing in the x,y,z locations in the command line:

12.0, 5.23, 0.0 then hit enter. These amounts are example only and not exact locations on your print. Using the snap option, then you can draw your circles, utelizing the node for the ctr locations. Then throw in the lines, using the quadrant and tangent option. Then it is as easy as just connecting the radiuses. I did notice an offset....not too sure about that...it is the .19 amount. do not overlook this dim.

Good Luck!!

A.Gore

I would start by locating all of your center points. Then draw your circles and connect them with tangent lines. Then Trim, Fillet, etc.

I don't know who dimensioned that drawing, but I think they need to go back to school and learn how to create a proper shop drawing. That thing is a mess. I can't even tell what some of those dimensions are referencing. :?

Yes it is a mess but it is a typical school drawing.

Many drawings are made by teachers and not drafties

Drafting skills come from experience in the industry

When drawing that mess it will be very easy to get lost.

Buy some colored pencils. color the centerlines in basic colors blue, green, red and stuff

Draw in autocad using the same colors

As the drawing progresses and you can see enough of it not get lost, change all lines to white as a way to conserve colors because you only have a few basic colors. The colored lines and circles need to be used for things that can easily get lost. (not attach to that hook thing)

Are you still in need of help?

I have looked at the drawing and all the dimensions do have a reference point, the only thing wrong with the dimensioning is an overlap at the 1.31R dimension I would think this a test and would consider moving that radial dimension so it is readable.

I can run you through the commands.

Email me at Lone_kite@live.ca

I create construction lines(their own layer and a vivid purple:wacko: ) where the dimension extensions are. I was able to create this in 2008 in about 2 hours and I'm in the middle of the semester in my first computer drafting(CAD) class in 48 years so can identify with the 'project'. I use the bejeebers out of offsets when creating a drawing.

Oh, the 2R dimension is incorrect in my opinion. I used 1.5 and it looked better/proper.

Ag162 and Englishman seem to lean to a 'teaching' attitude so would reread their suggestions, not to dimish the other advice. They write as if they might be used to answering these beginning(beginner?) questions. Goodness knows you could start a whole new world with what I don't know. Reply/ask if you have a specific, how to or what do I do or why, if you run into problems with this. This is supposed to be the beginners corner me thinks.

Good luck.

The 2R center line measurement is correct and is taken from .88 outside of the .5D circle as shown in drawing; I completed the drawing in 20 mins, 10 mins on mental preparation and 10 mins on physical input.