Problem with 3D model exported from Inventor

Arvid93

I worked with a 3D model in AutoCAD 2012 and then I wanted to add some variable fillets so I saved the part to be filleted as a block and the opened it in Inventor 2012 using Open > Import DWG. I added the fillets and then I used the "Export to DWG" command. I inserted the part in AutoCAD again using "Insert". I exploded the block to a 3D solid and everything looked fine but the next time i opened the dwg file it looked weird at some places (see picture).

Does anyone know why this is happening?

InventorExportedModel.jpg

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ReMark

• Arvid93

• SLW210

• SEANT

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

No, I did not misunderstand you. I still think you could have an errant piece of geometry. I'm not saying it was intentional; more like something you may have overlooked. It did not affect anything until you exploded the 3D block. I hope I am wrong but it is still worth checking isn't it?

I did not look at the YouTube clip.

No, I meant that I maybe had missunderstood your first answer because I was not sure how you meant I should check the geometry. I thought that you maybe meant that there could be solids on top of each other or some lines (Which I did not find).

If it were me I might zoom into the area and do some up-close checking to see if I could spot any inconsistencies. Whether you do this is a 2D wireframe visual style or another is entirely up to you.

The only other thing that comes to mind is that the problem is entirely "visual" and is a result of an anomaly having to do with your graphics card.

The only other thing that comes to mind is that the problem is entirely "visual" and is a result of an anomaly having to do with your graphics card.

That was my thought as well.

Something's amiss:

Command: _solidedit

Solids editing automatic checking: SOLIDCHECK=1

Enter a solids editing option [Face/Edge/Body/Undo/eXit] : _body

Enter a body editing option

[imprint/seParate solids/Shell/cLean/Check/Undo/eXit] : _check

Select a 3D solid: This object is not a valid ShapeManager solid.

SEANT, I created a standard box primitive and used the same command as you and I also get "This object is not a valid ShapeManager solid." So it seems that that message is showing up for all solids even if there is no wrong with them.

MultiTool.PNG

I believe the problem is being caused by whatever the object is supposed to be that I have circled in red in the above image.

Strange that I cannot visualize the underlying geometry in a 2Dwireframe visual style and that the problem only "appears" in a Conceptual visual style and not in the Realistic visual style.

I'm using AutoCAD 2012 at the moment.

MultiTool_closeup.PNG

Top view. Close up of one end.

I have circled the area where I think the problem originates.

What the heck is that piece of geometry I have pointed to? It is paper thin at one end. It also does not show up very well unless your view of the object is very specific.

Addendum: I finally did manage to "see" the offending geometry in a 2dwireframe but it is very easy to overlook.

Edited by ReMark

If you look closely enough you can spot it even in conceptual visual style. I did not notice it immediately either.

Edited by ReMark