ctb style object lineweights

blackeagle1245

What do you use generally while plotting drawings?. I mean how do you arrange object lineweights?. By layer, by colour or just stb?. I have a problem with object lineweights especially in mechanical rooms. I need different opinions about this subject.

Thanks in advance

I have a simple layer structure. Name Lineweight Colour A18 0.18 Red B25 0.25 Yellow C35 0.35 Green D50 0.50 Cyan E70 0.70 Blue F100 1.00 Magenta G25 0.25 White The default linetype for all layers is "Continious" But when i need a dashed line, nothing changes on my layer. Hope i helped you with your problem

sorry, but my enters did not came through and i can't edit the post for an odd reason. @Moderator: Why cant i post with enters and cant i edit the post?

thanks for your response. But how do you arrange specific layers?. I mean if you need another colour or linetype?. I couldnt understand your structure

My plot style table is set to monochrome, so all my lines are black.

I am a designer in the construction business, so only for lines that mark the roof tiles and tiles in the toilet are red, which keeps the drawing clear and simple.

The red colour is index 249, which my plot style table translates to red.

Therefore, i don't need to change my colours.

When i need another linetype, i just change it in the layer.

Maybe you think my structure is confusing, but in the companies i've worked, we used this structure and it became basic for me.

What do you use generally while plotting drawings?. I mean how do you arrange object lineweights?. By layer, by colour or just stb?. I have a problem with object lineweights especially in mechanical rooms. I need different opinions about this subject.

Thanks in advance

You posted this in the MEP section. Are you referring to AutoCAD MEP objects? Or are you asking a general AutoCAD question?

And dirkvandonkelaar uses STB, or "Named Plot Styles" from what I can tell, which is completely different than CTB plot styles.

sorry, but my enters did not came through and i can't edit the post for an odd reason. @Moderator: Why cant i post with enters and cant i edit the post?

Must be on your end, no problems here.

What browser are you using?

Yes I'm dealing with MEP objects thats why I posted it here. I wonder what do the people,who are using MEP, use while plotting?.

Okay gotcha. I use CTB for AutoCAD MEP objects and STB for regular AutoCAD objects. The only reason is simply because I am lazy and I haven't transitioned all of my templates (among other things) over to STB.

With CTB the best method is so set everything By Object in the CTB file, and control it with Layers. This requires some digging into the Layer Key Styles, however, to specifically fit your lineweight needs so be careful with what you're about to embark on if you do. This can be a very long road ahead of you, with definite need of constant continuation to edit the Layer Keys drawing.

8)

Do you use ctb or stb?. Or let me ask this way if you have time to prepare, do you prefer to work ctb or stb?. I couldnt exactly understand how stb works. I'm now dealing with editing layer key styles as you said.

STB is the absolute way to go for the most overall control and flexibility. It's easier to use, has more options, makes more sense, and helps you think about the object and get away from thinking about the color.

As far as I know its seperated by lineweights, then we choose one plot style in drawing then again we need to choose which plot style it will use thin,thick or so. Right?.

There is a general acceptance I guess. If you work in 2d use ctb, if you work in 3d use stb. But what about if I work in both ?.

You can't work in both. You have to choose to either work with CTB or STB, and if you change mid-course one selected drawings then that could be devastating later when trying to control your lineweights. Here's a link: http://exchange.autodesk.com/autocad/enu/online-help/search#WS1a9193826455f5ffa23ce210c4a30acaf-5f9b.htm

CTB means you assign a color to an object and the color dictates the objects lineweight, unless your CTB file is set to "ByLayer" or "ByObject".

STB means you actually create each style. It's not dependent on color, you are the one who names each plot style. You can name it "Bold" and configure the settings to plot bold, or you could name it "My mother loves me" and put the settings you want - it doesn't matter, since you are the one who is creating each style. So for each layer, or object, you set the named plot style that you created, instead of "Green is always really bold" or "Color 253 is always gray".

Not only that, there are plenty of other benefits to using STB as well. There is a thread that rkent started that has all the advantages and disadvantages regarding CTB and STB found here: http://www.cadtutor.net/forum/showthread.php?27403-STB-and-CTB-advantages-disadvantages&

yes I read that. I guess stb is better. I'm testing it now. But when I change my duct flex plot style in display manager my ducts also changes. Do they need to be always the same?. I may do them same and system override for ducts but its a long way if there is a short one. I'm starting to change our system to stb.

when working with stb, if I just change x-refs plot style does it affect all or I need to do it in layer manager menu ?. For blocks answer should be same I guess.

yes I read that. I guess stb is better. I'm testing it now. But when I change my duct flex plot style in display manager my ducts also changes. Do they need to be always the same?. I may do them same and system override for ducts but its a long way if there is a short one. I'm starting to change our system to stb.
Flex Duct and Duct are saw as the same. It sucks I know.

Must be on your end, no problems here.

What browser are you using?

Using Firefox, but a few minutes later it was fixes for no reason

we set each color to a specific line weight for uniformity, we use 2 ctb files, they are identical except that the one has each of the colors properties set to black with no gray scale for plotting in black and white.