Setting Visibility for Revit Link Elements, not the entire category?

tzframpton

I have a Revit Architectural model linked and I'm in a View that's associated with Level 1. I go into V/G > Revit Links > click the "Custom" button in Display Settings, enable the "Custom" radio dial and set the Linked View to . I then precede to the Annotation Categories tab to turn off the Grids. Here's my question... the Revit Architectural model has an "existing" building and also the "new" building Grids. I want to only hide the existing grids.... is this possible through the Revit Link procedure?

Thanks in advance. 8)

*EDIT*

P.S. the column grids are not associated to the Existing phase, only the New Construction phase, so I can't isolate the V/G override by Phase.

Hmm...I've never tried this.

Perhaps in your MEP view, have it set to "New Construction"? That should hide the existing elements in the linked file.

Have you looked into phase mapping?

I'll see about playing with this a little bit, today.

-Edit-

Wait, so it has both "Existing" and "New Construction" column grid lines, but they're all on the "New Construction" phase?

Not sure I'm understanding fully.

See screenshot. Notice the Grids. The circular column tags represent the "New Construction" portion of the building. The squared column tags represent the "Existing" portion of the building. These are divided by two Phases from the Architect, giving me the ability to control either the existing building models or the new construction building models. The problem is that the entire Grid is phased in the New Construction so when I go to V/G I cannot turn off just the Existing column grids.

Hopefully that makes sense now, lol.... :oops:

Existing_NewConstruction.jpg

I think I understand...so the Architect made Grid Heads for New and Existing, but failed to put the Existing grid lines on the Existing phase...correct?

If so, I think you're SOL short of cropping the view.

...or I'd open the Arch's drawing (assuming he doesn't need it back) and put them on Existing myself. Thus enabling myself the option to turn them on/off with phase filters in V/G.

I think I understand...so the Architect made Grid Heads for New and Existing, but failed to put the Existing grid lines on the Existing phase...correct?
Correctumondo!!

If so, I think you're SOL short of cropping the view.

...or I'd open the Arch's drawing (assuming he doesn't need it back) and put them on Existing myself. Thus enabling myself the option to turn them on/off with phase filters in V/G.

Yeah I was afraid of that. I might give our in-house Architect a call and see if he'll make that adjustment but I doubt he will. Thanks Lee.

Actually looking into now, I don't see how to change the phase of the Grid Lines. However I do see that you can separate Grid Lines into worksets.

Actually looking into now, I don't see how to change the phase of the Grid Lines. However I do see that you can separate Grid Lines into worksets.

I see. I'm not too familiar with Worksets at this point, would you mind elaborating just a tad?

If you have Worksets enabled (central/local files), go into your Worksets dialog and create a couple new worksets. I'd call them "New Grids" and "Existing Grids". Then in the properties of the object, you assign it to a Workset. You can change the visibility of individual Worksets in V/G.

That's the Cliff's Notes.

Ah, I see. So what about when I have more Worksets, such as Piping, HVAC, Equipment, etc.... if I'm in any other Current Workset would that not make them visible again?

Not necessarily. When you're "in" a workset, you're merely working in that workset, it doesn't change the Views' visibility settings.

You can also set the Existing Grids to their own workset, leave the New Grids on whatever workset they're on, then globally turn off the Existing Workset in the Worksets Dialog.

Okay I think I'm understanding better. I just selected my Trane unit and in the Properties panel it shows it to be on a Workset completely different than the one I'm on.

• 2 weeks later...

I found a workaround today. As I was hovering over the existing grids in Plan View, I hit the Tab key and the Grid from the link Highlighted. I was able to grab all of the Existing ones (granted, one by one) and hide them in the view. Just thought I'd revisit this to post up my quick workaround. :)