Windows 8!!!

Mike_Taylor

Hey, I have been doing some looking around and what not of some leaked stuff for the new Windows 8 platform. Juts wanted to see if anyone else has seen anything, and if so what you think so far.

From what I understand it is currently in a closed beta right now, but I am really hoping the release the open Beta during CES.

From what I have seen they allow you to customize a toolbar for each monitor as well as background and themes. Also, you can now order a windows to go flash drive which allows you to image your computer onto it and temporarily reimage and windows 7/8 computer with your image, which sounds great!

Thoughts/opinions?

I am more interested what Windows 8 will mean for mobil phones, windows-phones are only going forward from what I see, Win8 looks like it's a big step in the right direction.

I am not surprised but a bit disappointed though that they create a whole new interface (tiles) and then turns around and say "oh but you can get rid of it all and go back to XP-look if you want".

For you Tiger...

http://gizmodo.com/5875391/the-new-windows-8-first-touch-this-is-windows

looks pretty sweet IMHO.

I am more interested what Windows 8 will mean for mobil phones, windows-phones are only going forward from what I see, Win8 looks like it's a big step in the right direction.

I am not surprised but a bit disappointed though that they create a whole new interface (tiles) and then turns around and say "oh but you can get rid of it all and go back to XP-look if you want".

Download at your hearts content. I just installed a spare hard drive in my system this week and plan on install Win8 soon to give it a spin.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/apps/br229516

Hey, I have been doing some looking around and what not of some leaked stuff for the new Windows 8 platform. Juts wanted to see if anyone else has seen anything, and if so what you think so far.

From what I understand it is currently in a closed beta right now, but I am really hoping the release the open Beta during CES.

From what I have seen they allow you to customize a toolbar for each monitor as well as background and themes. Also, you can now order a windows to go flash drive which allows you to image your computer onto it and temporarily reimage and windows 7/8 computer with your image, which sounds great!

Thoughts/opinions?

Just I stalled win8 tonight. Yeah, just a bit different. I put it on a spare 250gb laptop drive and set up a dual boot. I might put 2012 on it to see how it works this week.

Will be interesting to see what happens when ordinary people (not that I would ever dream of calling you ordinary F :wink: ) start playing with Win8. A demo is a demo is a demo and it will (almost) always look good - but then again, they'll never bring up the things that doesn't work.

I look forward to getting Win8 on my workmachine something late 2017-18..if I'm lucky :/

I am definately trying it out his weekend on my new machine. We'll see how it fairs, although it is still very early in the release (final release is presumed to be in the Autumn) so Ill tyr and not be too judgemental.

I just hope it doesnt suck like 7 , I've been avoiding upgrading my machine due to the fact that our company is forcing evry new computer to come with 7, suckage!

I just hope it doesnt suck like 7 , I've been avoiding upgrading my machine due to the fact that our company is forcing evry new computer to come with 7, suckage!

You must have a numpty setup your deployments - Windows 7 is the best PC OS I've used since Windows XP, and actually better than the latter in both performance, and ease of use. Not to mention customization.

Separately, while I do not believe this will become available with Windows 8; Windows 9+ appear to have the potential for 128-Bit processing which will get the geek juices going. :geek:

You must have a numpty setup your deployments - Windows 7 is the best PC OS I've used since Windows XP, and actually better than the latter in both performance, and ease of use. Not to mention customization.

Separately, while I do not believe this will become available with Windows 8; Windows 9+ appear to have the potential for 128-Bit processing which will get the geek juices going. :geek:

plotting issues with autoCAD, crashing issues with autocad, slow performance with autocad ..... I'll stick with xp

plotting issues with autoCAD, crashing issues with autocad, slow performance with autocad ..... I'll stick with xp

Interesting - I have none of those issues, and my group was first to make the switch to Windows 7.

Obviously, 64-Bit compatible print drivers were necessary, but I'm not having crashing issues with either 32-Bit Land Desktop 2009, or 64-Bit Civil 3D 2011, 2012, Map 3D 2011, 2012. Sorry fo'ya:

barney.stinson.sad.awesome.large.jpg

I have had a great experience with Win7 64bit. I love the jump lists feature.

• 1 month later...

I really don't see what is so special about the video of 8, its shown on a tablet, this touch screen technology is been around for years as you all know, how does it work on a desktop PC where real work gets done ? I have to agree with the others I am very happy with windows 7. I will wait for the roll out

I really don't see what is so special about the video of 8, its shown on a tablet, this touch screen technology is been around for years as you all know, how does it work on a desktop PC where real work gets done ?

... Think Johnny Mnemonic, but without the goggles, and gloves? :P

johnny-mnemonic-internet.jpg

I have to agree with the others I am very happy with windows 7. I will wait for the roll out

1+

I wouldn't doubt, parametric applications are all ready on there way to make designers obsolete and not "Cost effective". I would delete that, don't want to give the engineers any more bright ideas :lol:

... I would delete that, don't want to give the engineers any more bright ideas :lol:

The day that our Engineers consistently offer designs that are constructable (without the multitude of CAD staff corrections), THEN I'll worry, methinks. :beer: LoL