Crashing

finn379

Hi all,

Really in need of help at the minute, weird Issue.

Scenario is that I was using the autocad mac 2011 version up until last week when it started to go faulty. Everytime I would click the icon it would bounce, the splash screen would appear and then it would just go back to the static screen with no error message or sign of any change.

Now I had been using my copy for a while with no issues and have not edited any of my settings (to either my cad subscription nor my system), it just stopped working.

I uninstalled and installed the newer 2012 version (my laptop still fits the requirements) and the same issue is occuring.

The only help I have been able to find is about system requirements and system language, both of which are suited the the versions I downloaded.

Has anyone got any advice or ideas on how to solve this issue?

Many Thanks,

FINN

I haven't downloaded any updates lately whats so ever. This is the strangest part of the whole issue to be honest. I was using it 4 days ago and without warning, closed down and would never open again... No error messages or anything.

Same oddities in this area as I have not updated any of my computer settings or systems. I have literally only been using my laptop for cad work in the office and have not had any need to alter anything.

It has bewildered me how this could have happened and even worse, how it could have continued after reinstallation and re downloading...

No, I have never ran anti virus, will look into this as a cause.

My specs are:

2.13GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

4GB 800MHz DDr2 SDRAM

Nvidia GForce Graphics card

Mac OS X v.10.6.8

I didn't mean to install an anti-virus, just checking to see if you had one and if it was running. Some anti-virus programs cause problems with AutoCAD. What is the exact Nvidia GeForce you are running?

oh right... I was going to look into it and see if it may have been a virus which affected it in some way... still worth a shot i suppose...

NVIDIA GeForce 9400M

A laptop? Memory is probably being shared and when demand gets too high things start to go flaky as the system starts to steal resources from one process to satisfy another.

Yea, it is the white mac book

it has been running fine for a year, when I run it along side photoshop everything would slow down and eventually crash however I have been trying to open it alone and it just stops before opening.

the icon bounces

the splash screen comesup

and then, nothing... just my normal desktop again.

I would like to post a video but its too demanding and a screen shot will only show the icon lifted from the tool bar slightly...

Time to buy a PC? You can donate the Mac to some inner city kid. He'll be the talk of his school and you can claim the donation on your tax return.

Do you have something akin to the Windows RESTORE command on your laptop? Turn back the clock?

the old PC comment was bound to come up eventually I suppose... I'm just surprised it took until the second leaf of comments.

ill have a google and see.... i have everything backed up for the past two years so maybe I can try revert via it some how....

Yep, I was bound to go there eventually. I wonder why I waited so long? LOL

I started out on Apple computers then switched over to the PC when we finally got them at work. Never went back.

Assuming you could somehow roll back the clock to a time prior to first loading 2011 you might have a shot at getting it to work properly. How about electrical interference? Could that be a possible cause?

When you're "re-installing" acad, did you try to remove EVERYthing it has saved? Can't remember exactly as I've only played around with a trial copy on a Mac before ... but I seem to remember that it still leaves some folders and files behind after uninstalling. Same as it does on Windows. Some of these may still have the old settings, which acad has always been infamous about them changing "of no accord".

It would have been nice if Mac had something like a system restore point, I don't know if its backup systems could restore the entire system to a previous state though. But even the Windows' System Restore only does a half decent job. So I wouldn't hold my breath.

A PC guy would probably tell you to format & re-install your OS as a very last resort. We tend to do that once in 1 to 2 years anyway. It's like breathing new life into PCs :rofl:. No sure if you could even do that on a Mac - I thought the OSX was pre-installed and you could only upgrade it, but I'm far from an expert!

I've used the system Restore option in Windows twice and it worked very well both times. Recently I had to swap out a failing hard drive and bought Acronis True Image Home 2012. The swap went flawlessly and was very quick as well. The software also comes with a feature called Nonstop Backup for recovery to any point in time. Sounds like a good feature to have and I'll be looking further into how it works.

the old PC comment was bound to come up eventually I suppose... I'm just surprised it took until the second leaf of comments.

ill have a google and see.... i have everything backed up for the past two years so maybe I can try revert via it some how....

I love Macs, although I have never used one for autocad. I haven't been on Mac for almost 3 years now, but as I recall you should have RESTORE POINTS in your system. Are you running your AUTOCAD through BOOTCAMP? Perhaps that would work better for you than using the MAC version?

oh right... I was going to look into it and see if it may have been a virus which affected it in some way... still worth a shot i suppose...

NVIDIA GeForce 9400M

Seems from doing a little searching, for some reason, the Nvidia GeForce 9400M has trouble running AutoCAD for MAC. Maybe the driver automatically updated or became corrupt. I would do a driver Update, then try a driver rollback, then a restore point.