Save As in Windows 7

RickyS

I recently upgraded to windows 7 and AutoCAD 2012, when I hit save as the cursor or highlighted field is in the directory area not the file name.

When I'm detailing I use save as a lot and this little quirk causes me about three extra steps, and kills my rhythm. Our XP machines defaulted to the file name area so you could simply type in a new name hit enter, and go on down the road. Has anybody ran into this one and hopefully figured out a work around?

I'm using Win7 and AutoCAD 2011 at the moment and mine defaults to the file name as you mentioned. I do not think it has anything to do with the version of Windows however.

A simple test reveals it is entirely possible for me to duplicate your problem but I had to do it on purpose by highlighting the a folder in the directory pane then clicking on save. On the next "saveas" the file name was no longer highlighted but a folder was in the directory.

Just as I suspected. This is a case of OIE. You need to be a bit more careful. It should be possible to reverse it. Yep, it is. Just confirmed as well.

OIE??? I agree that I'm affecting this, sometimes it is in the right place sometimes it is not. I'm missing what I'm doing to cause it to change, so can you fill me in please?

My sequence is to pick the directory then place the cursor in the file name pane. Once that is done there should be no need to go back to the directory unless you are working in a number of different folders. In which case you need to make sure you highlight the file name pane BEFORE exiting the dialog window.

OIE = Operator Induced Error

We're all guilty of it every now and then. Good thing they don't give CAD operators guns. Many of us would be limping right now. LOL

ReMark,

Thanks for the quick reply, however there is still something afoot here. The problem still persist even when I follow your sequence, admittedly it is an intermediate issue (sometimes it defaults to the filename box, & sometimes it defaults to the directory list). Even when I've been repeating the same operation ad nauseam. I should mention here that I have three other users experiencing the same issue. The other thing that is eating at me is that this was never an issue under XP running AutoCAD 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011 & 2012. Not that I need a CAD related issue to dislike Windows 7, it just seems to me that the OS might beis the culprit.

Heck, at the moment I have 2004, 2007, 2010, 2011 all running under Win 7 and i have no such problems in any one of the programs and two of them aren't even recommended for use with Win7.

Sorry, but I'm at a loss to explain why you are having such difficulties. It will require someone much smarter than me to provide the answer. I came, I saw, I tested and I reported. Best I can do. Good luck.

This is a WAG - By any chance, do you have your cursor control set for hover to select, and single click to open in your control panel or mouse software?

I have mine set like that because it's faster, but sometimes I have to watch what the dadgum thing is hovering on when I Save As. I can't count the number of times something has gotten highlighted when I didn't want it to be selected. Maybe the OS is seeing a hover on the directory (folder) name?

Is this folder otherwise empty?

ReMark - Thanks for trying I'll give you an A for effort.

Wag - That is an interesting observation, of the 4 users here all of us are using different mice! (hadn't thought of that). After making a quick check around the room none of us are using hover or one click. I'm still stumped!!!

Could it be related to 64bit (CAD & OS)????

ReMark - Thanks for trying I'll give you an A for effort.

Wag - That is an interesting observation, of the 4 users here all of us are using different mice! (hadn't thought of that). After making a quick check around the room none of us are using hover or one click. I'm still stumped!!!

Could it be related to 64bit (CAD & OS)????

WAG? No, wait. WAG stands for Wild A** Guess.:lol: