AutoCAD 2010 for Mac OSX Lion, on Parallels 7 or VM Ware Fusion 4

Tifosi-tect

Will I be able to run AutoCAD 2010 Windows version on a Mac OSX Lion, on Parallels 7 or VM Ware Fusion 4? I'd like to know if issues I've read about on earlier versions have been resolved and this config would work ok. I'd prefer to work on a VM than in Bootcamp.

Best thing to do? Just use a pc and not a mac running windows in virtualization. You will never get full hardware usage in a virt. environment. Is there some Mac only software you need to use?

I have always used a PC, but recently needed a new laptop computer and, after considering many, many options, found no PC maker that has done what Apple has done with the MacBook Pro, so I bought one, and I'll make it work. I'd just like to know why PC laptops have not been able to match Apple battery life, as well as make a convenient size/weight transformer. Those are just two examples.

Do I really need all 2.4ghz, quad cores, 8 gigs of ramm etc. to run autoCAD in 2D? Isn't there room there to run AutoCAD 2010 in a VM until I can afford AutoCAD for Mac? As I asked in my initial post, have past AutoCAD issues with Parallels and/or Fusion been resolved?

I have not used current vm on OSX Lion as my old Mac has not been used in years (OSX tiger). To to the parallels site and see if they have any info.

Do I really need all 2.4ghz, quad cores, 8 gigs of ramm etc. to run autoCAD in 2D?
Not at all. AutoCAD can run perfectly fine on far less specs if it's just normal 2D drafting.

Isn't there room there to run AutoCAD 2010 in a VM until I can afford AutoCAD for Mac? As I asked in my initial post, have past AutoCAD issues with Parallels and/or Fusion been resolved?
You're trying to use AutoCAD in a way that was not intended. f700es is not saying it won't work, just saying you're request is unrealistic given the circumstances. In other words, "enter at own risk". :)

I think a few people on here have posted that they've ran AutoCAD in emulation Windows with little issues... I think. Might want to search the boards a little.

Here are the issues I see..

1. Using AutoCAD for Win on a Mac in a virtual machine will never get you full hardware acceleration like running in native Windows. Not saying it won't work just that it will be slower than the real thing.

2. AutoCAD for OSX is missing several key features that make it a no go for me and probably other seasoned users (google it and read more).

3. The cost. To get a MBP that has enough power to run CAD you have to get one with a real/dedicated video card. That starts with the 15" 2.2 Ghz model that starts at $1,800. Then you have to buy Parallels ($80) or VMware Fusion 4 ($50) and then you have to buy a copy of Windows. As for that battery life I bet that 7 hours is using the default graphics (Intel HD3000) and not the ATI graphics. So you are looking at $2,000 right there.

I am not totally against macs as I have owned/used them before but their cost just leads me down other roads. Please let us know how it goes. Also download the latest 30 day demo of AutoCAD for OSX and tell us how that is as compared to the Win version.

Thanks for posting :)

Thanks f700 & Stykface, I understand. I will continue searching for info. Most of what I've found so far refers to older versions of VM software, OSX, etc. Since I own the MBP already, I'm leaning toward giving it a try. If it doesn't work out, I'll get a decent desktop PC or look into ACAD for Mac. Thank you for your input.

Thanks f700 & Stykface, I understand. I will continue searching for info. Most of what I've found so far refers to older versions of VM software, OSX, etc. Since I own the MBP already, I'm leaning toward giving it a try. If it doesn't work out, I'll get a decent desktop PC or look into ACAD for Mac. Thank you for your input.
That's the best thing to do at this point. Just give it a shot and see how it does. If it works, great, if not then no worries... transition to plan B. Just look in your local pawn shop for a decent laptop that some street punk stole and pawned for drug money and you're all good. haha j/k :)

Or am I? dot dot dot