Dimensioning in Paper Space

twrfte

I am attempting -- without much success -- to put my dimensions in paperspace. The problem is that sometimes (almost always) the dimension value is in paperspace. That is, when I do a Linear Dimension of two points of an object in paperspace the resulting value will be a few inches instead of many feet.

My model is drawn at full size; my viewport is set to 1/4" = 1'-0"; I am using ACA 2012.

I am not sure if it instructive, but I have found:

- The only time it comes out correct is if my first point is at 0,0. But if the second point is 0,0 it will be wrong (paperspace value). Bizarre

- most of the "wrong" dimensions have the "Associative" property is set to "No". The box is grayed out so I am not sure how to change it.

- If I MEASUREGEOM, the value is the correct model space length but if I do a linear dimension using the same two points the value is in paperspace.

Any help would be much appreciated.

regards,

twrfte

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ReMark

• SLW210

• twrfte

• tmld

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It might help too if your dimensions were associative which is not the same as annotative.

And don't forget to use your OSnaps.

I always dimension in my paperspace layout.

Another way to use dimensions in paper space (Layout) is to change the scale factor in the Primary Units tab within the Dim Styles dialog. For 1/4" = 1'-0" set the scale factor to 48.

Grant: dimlfac=24 *does* give the correct dimensional values for my scale. are there downsides to using dimlfac?

Edited by twrfte

ReMark: how do i make the property associative? the box in Properties is grayed out. I am glad you have successful using paperspace for dimensions -- i am really hoping to clean up my model views.

ScribbleJ: I believe that is the same as DIMLFAC. Evidenced by the fact that when i changed the DIMLFAC variable the value in the Dim Styles dialog was updated with the same value.

Remark a bit suprised you do dims in paper space I would shoot the guys here if they do that just to many problems change object dims no longer relates move objects same problem. We do though dim paperspace objects in paperspace model space in model never the twain shall meet.

rkent: my dimassoc is -- and has always been -- set to '2'. Why not change dimlfac?

I think you have come across a bug, so don't specify 0,0 when dimensioning, draw a circle there and snap to it if you need to dim from there. Even autodesk recommends not changing dimlfac, hover over the setting in dim style manager.

It might help too if your dimensions were associative which is not the same as annotative.

And don't forget to use your OSnaps.

I always dimension in my paperspace layout.

I agree. Unassociated dimensions or overridden dimensions serve little purpose if the geometry ever changes.

Remark a bit suprised you do dims in paper space I would shoot the guys here if they do that just to many problems change object dims no longer relates move objects same problem. We do though dim paperspace objects in paperspace model space in model never the twain shall meet.

Most companies I know of that share CAD drawings with us now utilise layouts, including dimensions in paperspace. I think it works better than dimensions in modelspace myself.

I've been putting all dimensioning and text in my paper space layout going on five years now with nary a problem. As long as dimensions are associative the object size can change ten times and it would not matter. Think about it. Doing it my way I have to worry about two things. 1) Make sure associative is enabled and 2) set my text height. How many things does one have to deal with using annotative text? How many variables have to be dealt with? I also have the added bonus of not having to deal with scale lists.

Is there a good reason to use annotative scaling? Yes, there is and I can see its benefits for certain disciplines. I just don't find it necessary for the job I do. Use whatever method works best for you. I'm cool with that.

I've been putting all dimensioning and text in my paper space layout going on five years now with nary a problem. As long as dimensions are associative the object size can change ten times and it would not matter. Think about it. Doing it my way I have to worry about two things. 1) Make sure associative is enabled and 2) set my text height. How many things does one have to deal with using annotative text? How many variables have to be dealt with? I also have the added bonus of not having to deal with scale lists.

Is there a good reason to use annotative scaling? Yes, there is and I can see its benefits for certain disciplines. I just don't find it necessary for the job I do. Use whatever method works best for you. I'm cool with that.

I agree, I normally use paperspace for dimensions, text, etc. Much easier than playing with annotative and leaves modelspace much cleaner.

I have done a few projects with annotative and just wasn't worth the effort. As a matter of fact some of those I am going to redo. Of course bear in mind I am a one man show here, as always - do what works best for you.

After a bit more experimentation I think I understand what is happening. The object in PS that I am dimensioning is xref'ed. This is causing the dims to be non-associative and so are not scaled. Setting DIMLFAC will scale the dims correctly. PS dims work just fine (meaning no scale factors applied, DIMLFAC or otherwise) when there are no xrefs.

Those of you who are successful in PS: does my theory hold up to practice?

-twrfte

I dimension in paperspace exclusively, and as shown in the attachment, I have no difficulty dimensioning in paperspace.

The xref has been attached in MODELSPACE, it is a unitless block.

dimensioning an xref no problem.JPG

current dimstyle setup.jpg

I use nonassociative dims.jpg

I have done a few projects with annotative and just wasn't worth the effort.

This has been my experience also. By the time you get it all working using annotative it would have been quicker to have got it done manually.