• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ReMark

• SLW210

• twrfte

• tmld

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have never had that problem with xrefs.

Like I stated, I think it would be better to use a seperate DIMSTYLE than changing DIMLFAC value. Just a preference.

Per this discussion I copied a plan set and am trying the associative scaling in PS, but have run into a bit of a problem. I understand the definition of the word 'associative', but how would this work where I am dimensioning center of wall to center of wall, where in the dwg there is nothing, but in life there is a 2x wall plate? Should I draw a non-printing wall centerline in MS and associate the dims in PS to that?

Yeah...tried M2P a few times in various ways: 1) object/M2P, 2) M2P/object, 3 )object/object and move the dim to center, and it didn't work; it is never fully associated with 1 and 2, and it became DISassociated with 3.

So it seems I've figured out a solution and will have to [unfortunately] add wall centerlines in MS if PS dims is in my future.

When I do original drawings under my logo, I always put dims in paper space. That way, no matter what the viewport scale is, the text is always the same size instead of 10" text in one viewport or page, maybe 10' text in another. Saves time, effort and confusion on my end.

Oh, I completely understand that issue. It's a pita figuring out font sizes in MS so everything is appears the same size in PS. I tried PS scaling long ago, and gave up for whatever, and this thread lit the fire again. However, the idea of moving back and forth between MS and PS to place centerlines or points or what ever other object is necessary to float an associated dim to something is wanted to avoid - oddball objects in MS that I may not remember why they exist.

I also found another 'bug' in that selecting the corners of dashed lines in PS for dims is the same as selecting a non-object. So the effort to dimension the dashed line footing in PS from the corners is returning the actual 1/4" = 1' scaled distance, not the 1:1 MS distance. Selecting a point on any visible part of the dash returns the 1:1 MS measurement.

While scaling is a possible work-around to the floating non-associated dims in PS, that option has a set of problems I have no desire to deal with.

I have done all my dimensioning in paper space and have yet to encounter the second problem you have mentioned re: dimensioning dashed lines.

Oh, I completely understand that issue. It's a pita figuring out font sizes in MS so everything is appears the same size in PS. I tried PS scaling long ago, and gave up for whatever, and this thread lit the fire again. However, the idea of moving back and forth between MS and PS to place centerlines or points or what ever other object is necessary to float an associated dim to something is wanted to avoid - oddball objects in MS that I may not remember why they exist.

I also found another 'bug' in that selecting the corners of dashed lines in PS for dims is the same as selecting a non-object. So the effort to dimension the dashed line footing in PS from the corners is returning the actual 1/4" = 1' scaled distance, not the 1:1 MS distance. Selecting a point on any visible part of the dash returns the 1:1 MS measurement.

While scaling is a possible work-around to the floating non-associated dims in PS, that option has a set of problems I have no desire to deal with.

You mentioned putting the centerlines on a non printing layer...why not name that layer something that will tell you what these objects are? Put your points and centerlines and all that on that layer. As for the centerlines, I'm not sure why you would need them. Someone mentioned M2P, can you not use that, then pick the endpoints of the lines that make the walls? You don't have to use it with just objects, you know. You can hit m2p, then end, and pick, then end and pick again...will pop your extension line in right between them.

I used to use dimlfac in an old job using R12 to possibly up to Acad2000 so things have moved on - but it was easy and for the drawings being done it was OK. I now put the dims and txt in the view port as this is easier for the type of job I am doing now! Sounds crazy but different jobs need different approaches. I would say that Autocad would say dimlfac is not that good only because it is hardwiring Autocad so The associations etc would not work.

Tested the MTP trick this morning using AutoCAD 2012 and it worked fine for me when I dimensioned between the center line of two walls. I think you need to go back and try again.

Tested the MTP trick this morning using AutoCAD 2012 and it worked fine for me when I dimensioned between the center line of two walls. I think you need to go back and try again.

Doesn't work here on 2011.

Does not work in 2011? I can't confirm or deny that since I never bothered to load 2011 on this machine but I can test it in 2010.

I'll be back.

Someone is not going to be happy.

I am able to do it using AutoCAD 2010. I verified that 1) the walls were in model space and 2) the dimensioning was in a paper space layout and 3) that MTP was used as a command modifier with the DIMLINEAR command.

Back to the drawingboard guys.

What is your definition of working? I meant to say, it will not adjust when the object is altered or moved. It does give the correct dimension in paperspace initially.

After a bit more experimentation I think I understand what is happening. The object in PS that I am dimensioning is xref'ed. This is causing the dims to be non-associative and so are not scaled. Setting DIMLFAC will scale the dims correctly. PS dims work just fine (meaning no scale factors applied, DIMLFAC or otherwise) when there are no xrefs.

Those of you who are successful in PS: does my theory hold up to practice?

-twrfte

Try using _DIMREASSOCIATE and Snap to a place on the object. Associated dims will not work with Nodes or insertions points, etc. at least as far as moving and modifying the items. It needs to snap to a physical part of the object.

My bad. I didn't realize you were speaking about moving model space geometry and trying to get the dimensions to follow. That I did not test.

What is your definition of working? I meant to say, it will not adjust when the object is altered or moved. It does give the correct dimension in paperspace initially.

Patient:

Doctor....it hurts when I move my arm like this!

Doctor:

So don't move your arm like that!

You're right, it won't reassociate to point or M2P location. Hmm...I've used this since 2010 came out and never noticed. I must not move stuff around much. Once I get my viewports lined up, I am loathe to move anything!

Like I always tell folks...ya can learn something new every day.

It's a pita figuring out font sizes in MS so everything is appears the same size in PS.

The beauty of Annotative text, dims, etc. is that the size is always the desired plot height. I want my text 0.1" when plotted so that is the size of the text, dim arrows, etc. The annotative viewport scale then scales it to the proper size for you.

On some types of drawings I use PS for dims, for others MS, it all depends on the drawing.

Edited by rkent
annotative not associative

And as for the 'bug' of the dims not always working in PS, that 'bug' is more than likely a user issue...hence the '' on the word. Although I couldn't zoom in more than I wanted, it appeared the selected location for the dim in PS was not an object, but was nothing. And this despite using osnaps. I unselected nodes and nearest and had difficulty repeating the problem.

There's hope yet that I might start scaling in PS !

Oh, and Jack, thanks for confirming my first issue...and naming the layer for it's intended purpose would be like ...umm...yeah.