Tests for CAD proficiency?

mcrae44

first one:

1. 'change these lines to be hidden lines' does that just mean put them on a layer and change it to not plot, or not visible?

2. if it says set the scale for a distyle to 1/4"=1'0", do i change scale factor from 1.0000 to 0.020833 ?

second one:

really confusing, each box is 20'x20' but asks you to do things like insert a block at 75' intervals along a 25' pline. am i interpreting that wrong or will the completed 'test' look completely wacky/messy?

1. if given a block to place at x intervals along a pline, how do you know how many to insert? just get the lengths of the pline via properties and manually divide the number of intervals by length of pline?

2. no idea how to do this or what a reverse curve is

"CONNECT LINE A TO LINE B WITH A REVERSE CURVE TANGENT TO LINE A AND LINE B WITH THE POINT OF REVERSE CURVATURE HALFWAY BETWEEN LINE A & LINE B AND REPORT THE RADIUS." any help there?

thanks for your input guys, i feel slightly more confident now knowing that some other people interviewing for these jobs aren't able to answer every question either. turns out i have an interview on feb 2nd, drawing a cross section of a road with a curb detail, trees, fire hydrant, within 30minutes in civil 3d. now i have to go open civil 3d for the first time, :lol:

First one:

1. they mean change to a hidden linetype, probably would get bonus points if you created a layer for that

2. dimscale, go into dimstyle, fit tab, use overall scale of: enter 48

Second One:

1. This one is for civil so the assumption is that one unit = 1' and not 1", so set UNITS to decimal, then you would use 75 unit intervals without having to enter the foot mark, and then you would use decimals for inches.

2. This one is easy with 2012, enter the Blend command (notice options at command line) pick both lines, done.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mcrae44

• rkent

• ReMark

• jmerch

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

First one:

1. they mean change to a hidden linetype, probably would get bonus points if you created a layer for that

so this just means a short dashes line?

Second One:

1. This one is for civil so the assumption is that one unit = 1' and not 1", so set UNITS to decimal, then you would use 75 unit intervals without having to enter the foot mark, and then you would use decimals for inches.

2. This one is easy with 2012, enter the Blend command (notice options at command line) pick both lines, done.

1. didnt even think about setting up UNITS. now the pline is 303'. so when i start the patharray command, and it asks for "# of items or [Orientation/Expression] i know its 5 items just cause of doign the math in my head of 300/75 +1. is there a better way to do it that takes myself and my calculator out of the equation?

In that test drawing, there was a very tricky diagram for the Reverse Curve exercise. There were three lines in the Line B, and one did not end at the centre of the circle. I wonder how many were caught out by that :shock:

Anyway here is a picture of a reverse curve, which is easy to do in ordinary AutoCAD without the Blend Command, using the property that arcs drawn after lines are tangential to them.

SneakyLineB.jpg

so this just means a short dashes line?

1. didnt even think about setting up UNITS. now the pline is 303'. so when i start the patharray command, and it asks for "# of items or [Orientation/Expression] i know its 5 items just cause of doign the math in my head of 300/75 +1. is there a better way to do it that takes myself and my calculator out of the equation?

Yes, a hidden linetype would be a series of short lines with a space between them. Use the LINETYPE command to load linetypes.

You would use the DIVIDE command, (also learn MEASURE command). You can specify a block for those commands or if not, use DDPTYPE to pick a point style that would show, you can snap to the points or nodes with the Osnap NODe.

i think i could draw it satisfactorily, but..

1. how is chainage relevant in a cross section? i thought it was a way to measure the length of a road?

2. what is CL R.L. 112.365m ? i would think CL is center line, and that the number represents elevation above sea level, but what is RL?

1. Well, there is no point going out to build the road with 100 cross sections in hand and not knowing which one is at the start of the road compared to which one is elsewhere etc. Each cross section would have the chainage that it appears ta labelled beneath it.

2. Centreline reduced level, i.e. the height for the road centreline at that point above whatever datum/coordinate system is being used.

• 2 weeks later...
Attached are two I found doing a quick search, see if this will help you.

I found the test to be good basic information as to what employeers might be looking for. It was very easy but great information. Thank you. Any more?

I found the test to be good basic information as to what employeers might be looking for. It was very easy but great information. Thank you. Any more?

Here is a orthographic projection test, looks simple at first but it isn't. If you already know the answer please hold off posting. Thanks.

52_DRAFTING TEST.pdf