Display of Backfaces

nocturne00

Hi All!

long time since I posted anything :) , hope to get back on track

Not sure if this is a simple or complicated issue, its just with the backfaces of my objects in 3Dmax. The backfaces are not appearing in my viewports, but when I twist to the its frontface, it shows up. below is a reference image.

the box on the left is shows the backface of the surfaces, w/c is from my colleage's computer.

the box on the right is from my computer, showing the same thing except the backfaces are sort of invisible, but actually the surfaces are there. I'm not sure what settings were adjusted but this wasnt like this before.

not sure if its a setting, been troubleshooting it for quite sometime.

Thanks in advance for any recommendation.

Sample.jpg

Hi Cad64, thanks for the reply.

"Backface Cull" was uncheck by default, tried with it both on and off at the properties but still won't show the backface. I also went to preferences to uncheck it but also didn't work. is it the only factor that affects backfaces?

Thanks again and best Regards

Just resolved it. not perfect and not 100% back to original, but it was a Display Driver Problem.

I, or maybe a 3rd party software adjusted my setting from Direct 3D 9.0 to 10.0.

I have my backfaces back but displaying very dark

Additionally; if someone else may be as unlucky as me to have tweaked so many settings in troubleshooting this problem, they might want to also go ahead and reset all settings to default. Best way is to delete the "3Dmax.ini" file found in "YOURUSERNAME\AppData\Local\Autodesk\3dsMax\2010\enu".

3Dmax will just create a new one once you restart.

Cheers!

The backfaces are supposed to be black, so yeah, they should be very dark.

is it a display setting for the backfaces to be dark?

coz the image at my first post(box @ left side) is at default settings of 3dmax, and his' was just installed, no adjusting of any setting.

Mine was a very dark in comparison to the front faces after I swithed from Direct 3D 10.0 to 9.0. (sorry didnt manage to get a printscreen)

Then after deleting 3Dmax.ini file , the backfaces are now same display as my front faces.

In 2011, and previous versions, my backfaces have always been black. But in 2012 my backfaces are not black. Not sure why that is but I don't like it. I'll have to see if there is a way to change the color to black, otherwise I will not be using 2012.