I wonder does anyone like pirated software?

Derrick022

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• f700es

• ReMark

• Derrick022

• Jack_O'neill

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't use nor do I recommend that others use pirated software.

Are you using pirated software?

Interesting that this question is being asked by someone from the country most associated with pirated software and the theft of intellectual property.

China is a big country, lets not accuse anyone shall we.

You as two questions; Does anyone like pirated software? and Is it necessary to use copyrighted software?

As far as pirated software goes, I am on board with ReMarks comment - I don't use pirated software.

If it is necessary to use copyrighted software - that depends on what you need to do. There is freeware out there that are perfectly good for home use, some cases, much more that a home designer would ever need.

The question about copyright in general - now that is a murky subject.

I'll bet there are plenty of people that "like" pirated software since they did not have to pay for it.

I'd like a million dollars. Does that give me the right to go out and steal it?

I used to turn a blind eye to students using warezed software but most developers now offer student free software so no need in it anymore. And those developers that still "sell" student versions are missing the boat and will suffer in the end. I believe in copyright laws but I don't like some parts of some. I do not agree with the part of not being able to sell ones AutoDesk software if a company does not need all the copies they have. I do not mean selling older copies that have been updated. I mean current copies that are no longer being used. A company I used to work for went out of business and the owner could have sold his AutoDesk software to other companies to raise capital to pay off debts but this is not allowed by AutoDesk. Another example is Apple's statement that their OS can only be installed on "Official" Apple hardware. When OSX can be installed on any x86 based hardware. IMHO 2 good examples of copy right laws going too far.

For as long as there have been laws, there have been people who seek to circumvent them. Some do it for the thrill of getting away with something, some do it out of some sense of getting even for all the wrongs the universe has done them. Some do it just to see if they can.

A legislature can make laws, but it cannot make morality. If you know that to do a thing is illegal or immoral or both, and you do it anyway, what does that say for your character? Would you trust to do business with someone you know steals software? What about someone who steals money or materials? Would you allow someone to build you a house with stolen lumber? Many times there is no way to know that the theft has taken place, but my point is this: If you would not trust that person, why would you think yourself trustworthy if you use stolen software?

There is enough legally free software out there for anyone to operate a very successful business without ever spending a dime on it, let alone feel the need to steal it. Now if the person is on the other side of pirated software, as in selling it, you have to know that you're doing something illegal or immoral, just as surely as they guy selling stolen watches out of the trunk of his car in the alley. If you have the resources and talent to sell stuff, why not do it legitimately? You can make just as much money and stay out of jail. Why choose to be a criminal when you can choose not to be?

Regarding the moral aspect of the topic... It has been said (and I paraphrase) "obey the law of man." o:)

What has not been said is that "man's law is rooted in common sense." Just saying. :P

I agree, the OSS options are really good that you can do just about all you want with very little in software these days. Sure some exceptions can pop up depending on what you want to do but for most out there it can be done.

(snip)

There is enough legally free software out there for anyone to operate a very successful business without ever spending a dime on it' date=' let alone feel the need to steal it. Now if the person is on the other side of pirated software, as in selling it, you have to know that you're doing something illegal or immoral, just as surely as they guy selling stolen watches out of the trunk of his car in the alley. If you have the resources and talent to sell stuff, why not do it legitimately? You can make just as much money and stay out of jail. Why choose to be a criminal when you can choose not to be?[/quote']

I agree, the OSS options are really good that you can do just about all you want with very little in software these days. Sure some exceptions can pop up depending on what you want to do but for most out there it can be done.

True, and I was talking mainly about a start up venture too. There have been many machine shops that started with a drill press, welder and torch that came from a pawn shop or flea market or estate auction, that grew in to amazing operations with dozens or hundreds of employees. The point I was making was that you can start small and on a shoestring and build it up with out the need for pirated software.

In my opinion, using pirated software is no different than using a shoplifted printer.

Oh I agree Jack. You make due with what you have and then deal with it until you can get what you want. What you need and what you want are two different things.

About the only thing I can't do without is Windows but you all but get a free copy when you buy a new PC so it's almost free. Parting out my current Dell at Newegg comes to $138 more than I payed for it and that is without a copy of Win7. So pretty much a free (legal) copy. The main reason I stopped building my own.

I used to use pirated software, especially building systems with Windows. I have left that mentality in the dust. I like paying for software simply because of the support alone. I upgraded my home machine from Vista to 7 a few months ago and I just went to my local store and bought Win 7 Pro outright. No worries when Windows Updates gets going, or my key not working, etc. Bought Office too. I think if you are going to legitimately use software then you should legitimately buy it.

Yep, my son needed it for school and we tried OpenOffice and while it works they used Office in the labs so we went that route to avoid comparability issues. We went in with my wife's Aunt and we bought a 3 license park and split them. It was pretty fairly priced in that route. $120 or so for 3 copies, not too bad.

Yeah that's what we did. The 3 pack of the student/home edition. $120 was the lowest I could find. My son is not in college so could not use any of those routes if they are any less expensive. $40 a copy, hard to beat!

As a Computer Animation student certain software applications were made available to us outright dirt-cheap... I think I paid $10/ea for Windows XP Pro, and Office 2003 (back when they were still new). I'd also throw hardware into the mix... While a student, I setup a 'business account' with Dell, after making up a business name, one without a Tax ID, and was able to purchase awesome hardware for dirt-cheap as well (legally!).

On the flip-side, we had teachers blatantly show us how to pirate the school's licenses to certain software titles, so that we could practice from home. I do regret adopting that mentality to begin with, and stopped doing so many years ago.

Now, in the business world, I thankfully work for a large, international employer that is on subscription, and I as a CAD user can have any and all current CAD related software installed upon request (practically... A small justification is necessary; lemon squeezy). Also, as a result of the size of my employer, I also get discounts on software... Office 2011 for Mac was only $10, as one example. Saved a bundle on hiring movers last month too (another corporate discount)! LoL

I don't use nor do I recommend that others use pirated software.

Are you using pirated software?

Interesting that this question is being asked by someone from the country most associated with pirated software and the theft of intellectual property.

I think your words are offensive! It's undeniable that every country is full of pirated software and also borrows the technology from other countries. It's known to all that much of technology in the world are originated from China, should I say that the these countries are theft? Why do you give some examples what things do China steal from you?

China is a big country, lets not accuse anyone shall we.

You as two questions; Does anyone like pirated software? and Is it necessary to use copyrighted software?

As far as pirated software goes, I am on board with ReMarks comment - I don't use pirated software.

If it is necessary to use copyrighted software - that depends on what you need to do. There is freeware out there that are perfectly good for home use, some cases, much more that a home designer would ever need.

The question about copyright in general - now that is a murky subject.

I should say that we should not deny the whole because of its bad sides. Every country will have many problems with its developing stage. There are laws and regulations for software piracy crackdown in China. I also don't use pirated software.

Thank you for your information, I'd like to write something about this. I wonder how to solve this problem.

Is this question for a school report?

See the fine calculator here

http://www.bsadefense.com/about-the-business-software-alliance-bsa-fines.asp

for reference on copyright

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Millennium_Copyright_Act