Very frustrated with trying to save a dwg as a dxf.

Treehugger

In my previous reply, I had obviously missed out exploded the nine tree canopies, which I managed to do this time. I am puzzled about exploding the text, because it is then no longer text.

Perhaps PocketGIS should state that their machines can only handle lines.

However, if you go to your Express Tools, you will be able to explode the text.

Then explode all the exploded text, because they are exploded into polylines :shock:

I am afraid that I can't post your file back, because it increases the size too much, even when zipped.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Treehugger

• Jack_O'neill

• eldon

• SLW210

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Sorry the text was just my own line of thinking (it appears to be simplified in the dxf drawing I received back from the reseller). Can I simplify it easily? How do you explode the canopies?

Thanks

I just used the command Explode, then windowed everything when choosing objects, and it found 9 things to explode (and 20000 objects it could not explode).

I am surprised that your explode did not work :?

Is there a reason you have to use Pocket GIS? Can you use a ESRI shp file with it instead of DXF? It's been a few years since I used Pocket GIS or tinkered with it but if I recall I had better luck with an image of my maps. BMPOUT then load into it sort of worked better other than file size boated the disc space in the pocket GIS.

I spoke to the resellers of Pocket GIS and sent them a copy of the drawing.

They used a free CAD package to open the drawing, explode all the objects and save as a R12 dxf file. They were then able to load it.

I asked them to send me the file to see if I could do it. It uploaded fine to my own Pocket GIS package. So out of curiosity I opened it in AutoCAD 2010 and then did a SAVE AS and renamed the file and chose AUTOCAD R12/L2 DXF from the "files of type" drop down box. I noticed that the file size had increased from around 3MB to 5MB! The file would not load to Pocket GIS. So it would appear that it is AutoCAD that is creating the problem.

Any ideas?

Try downloading Draftsight and using it, or find out which program they used. Draftsight is free. Not every program is going to be compatible with every other program all the time. There may be something that Autocad does that just won't work with Pocket GIS.

Murph

Pocket GIS is the only package I have for surveying that's why I am using it. I have been told that the drawings need to be R12 DXF but will ask again to make sure. Thanks for the BMPOUT pointer I will try that. Can you recall how you loaded the image into Pocket GIS?

Murph

Pocket GIS is the only package I have for surveying that's why I am using it. I have been told that the drawings need to be R12 DXF but will ask again to make sure. Thanks for the BMPOUT pointer I will try that. Can you recall how you loaded the image into Pocket GIS?

That was back in the old DOS days and I have a hard time remembering what I had for breakfast a few hours ago. With your users name of Treehuggger using AutoCAD 2007 and Pocket GIS I take it you are sort of a non-profit group and have a limited budget. Have you talked to any of the GPS dealers in the area to see about getting some pro-bono GPS units that may be up to date?

No Murph, I am a struggling independent consultant who purchased pocket GIS last year together with a TP laser for surveying trees. I cannot afford the high end equipment so have to get by with what I can. I receive site plans from my clients or their architects and need to accurately plot (

Knowing what I am trying to achieve, can you recommend a system that would be affordable to me and easy to use?

Thanks

No Murph, I am a struggling independent consultant who purchased pocket GIS last year together with a TP laser for surveying trees. I cannot afford the high end equipment so have to get by with what I can. I receive site plans from my clients or their architects and need to accurately plot (

Knowing what I am trying to achieve, can you recommend a system that would be affordable to me and easy to use?

Thanks

Ok I'm with you now. One method would be to use ESRI shp files in the Pocket GIS, but then you need to convert the dwg to shp format. After looking at the Pocket GIP site the Map Connection allows you to load the BMP file there. Is there any reason you need the clients plans in the map? If you get the coordinates from the Pocket GIS of the trees can you just import them back into the dwg? What mobile device are you running Pocket GIS on?

Perhaps an alternative would be to discover exactly why your attempts to create a DXF file from your own AutoCAD went awry. How adept are you with AutoCAD :unsure:

P.S. pretty please do not start any more threads. I am getting quite confused as some answers are not to the latest Update of the latest Update. :? The whole thread could just as successfully been all in one, and the way the forum is set up, the latest replies are easily arrived at.

Murph

No I suppose that I don't really need the clients plans in the map. Its purely a security blanket for me as I like to be able to see if the tree positions surveyed on site appear in the correct place.

To be honest my problem is that I don't know how to merge the survey data with the clients drawing. Unless the client's drawing is already aligned to the National Grid - won't my tree positions be way out? Also I often get drawings from clients that are not oriented to the North (often because they want the site plan to fit a certain size of paper). Any advice and assistance with this would be greatly appreciated.

eldon - yes you are correct here! I tried downloading DraftSight and changing my drawing to a R12 DXF. When loading the file I get asked for LTypeshp.shx if I opt for cancel and save the drawing as an R12 DXF, PocketGIS is still unable to recognise the file.

Sorry for the threads thing - I obviously need to study forum etiquette!

SLW210 - Thanks for merging and sorry.

Everyone - Thank you for your patience and assistance thus far.

I expect that you cheer when the drawing is set to OS grid. Your posted drawing seems to be SE of Inverness.

When drawings are not aligned to OS but to paper, you will have to take readings to features which appear on the ground, and then in the office, you can align their drawing to your measured features - a simple procedure.

Now, have you tried, in your AutoCAD, to explode everything? You may have to do the Explode more than once to get it in a format suitable for PocketGIS. Then when you make the DXF file, try to use the Option to select Objects, rather than to do an overall DXF, which may pick up various inedible drawing set-up factors.

Murph

No I suppose that I don't really need the clients plans in the map. Its purely a security blanket for me as I like to be able to see if the tree positions surveyed on site appear in the correct place.

To be honest my problem is that I don't know how to merge the survey data with the clients drawing. Unless the client's drawing is already aligned to the National Grid - won't my tree positions be way out? Also I often get drawings from clients that are not oriented to the North (often because they want the site plan to fit a certain size of paper). Any advice and assistance with this would be greatly appreciated.

This is were using a Civil application pays off, if plan on do very much of this type of work you need to plan on paying for Civil3D or MAP3D or you'll pay with the headaches and lost clients.

Now to help solve your issue with out DXFing that you can not get to work. When you're out there getting the trees also get 2 or three points that are on the dwg that you can later ID when you get back in the office. Points like the property corners or edges/centerline of the road, or anything that may be in the site plan. Then when you bring in the points move/rotate/align/scale the site plan to match. Then you should be able to save the points info from the GPS/survey to text format and use the X,Y, location to plot the points in the dwg.

Then when you make the DXF file, try to use the Option to select Objects, rather than to do an overall DXF, which may pick up various inedible drawing set-up factors.

How do I do this please?

This is were using a Civil application pays off, if plan on do very much of this type of work you need to plan on paying for Civil3D or MAP3D or you'll pay with the headaches and lost clients.

What do these applications do that AutoCAD Doesn't?

Can they be used as standalone applications or do they require AutoCAD to function?

How do I do this please?

When you hit the SaveAS button and a dialogue box comes up. (I have an earlier version than you, so perhaps the picture isn't exact). At the bottom you select Files of type - AutoCAD R12 DXF. At the top of the box at the right hand end is Tools. Select that and choose Options (at the bottom of the list). Then select DXF Options and select the "Select objects". Then press OK and you will be invited to select objects. Window the whole drawing, and there you are :)

DXFoptions.jpg

What do these applications do that AutoCAD Doesn't?

Can they be used as standalone applications or do they require AutoCAD to function?

They allow you for one to use a coordinate system NAD83 (Lat/Lon) or State Plane or create your own to use. They also allow you to work most survey units out there, pick in points from the survey unit and draw them for you in the dwg. They make better use of aerial images and Google Earth, work with a number of GIS format files out there for free. Depending on what part of the world you're working in there's ton of free stuff out there for mapping and locating features in the real world.

AutoCAD Civil 3D is build on top of AutoCAD Map3D which is build on top of AutoCAD so with Civil 3D you have 3 programs in one, autocad, Map3D a GIS program and Civil3D a civil design program.

• 2 months later...

has anyone found a solution to this error? my office mate is having the same error message. Shes trying to save a drawing made from Autocad Map 3d to Autocad 2011.